Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

While it is certainly true that motors can / do pull a lot more current on startup (~5x or more), I’m pretty sure (though have never investigated) this fridge uses an inverter setup (variable speed) and so startup inrush current is not an issue.

What about the motor in the dishwasher though ? I have not seen any of them that are inverters. They do not pull a lot of current admittedly, but they have the pumps in them

Yeah i just looked at the newer USB based units and can not see an easy way to pull one apart without killing it.

Craig

dishwasher water pump motors are tiny

Start up current is not sustained for any great length of time though. Think about it your CB for the power circuit is only 16A you’d be tripping it daily if that were the case.

This is my washing machine drawing power via an Arlec power monitoring plug.
Looks like it hits about 10A at full load.

Geez. That’s a worry. I have the Kogan plugs everywhere including on a washing machine, fridge and bar fridge. They’ve been installed for about 12 months. How old were yours Dave?

I do see significant power spikes when the fridge compressor motors turns on (4 to 5x the normal 500w load).

The only saving grace is that I have an automation that alerts me if the fridge power is below a set threshold for over three hours (compressor not running alert). Also with my house sitter away and quarantined there’s nothing in the fridge.

It will be interesting to see the reason for failure if possible.

My washing machine tops out at about 750W. I’d say your one is heating the water rather than using supplied hot water…

I have this same setup however I neglected to update the code from using the HTML notification system to the mobile app for this particular automation :man_facepalming: In saying that, I’m thousands of kms away from home and my girlfriend was a number of hours drive too.

Likewise. I do have a neighbour that can pop in and I can operate as a remote button presser :slight_smile:

How old were your failed plugs?

Yeah this Miele doesn’t support external hot water… Good thing too as it would be waiting a long time for hot water to get to it.

Last week via the newer Kogan smart plug. Only appears to run the compressor once a day early in the morning and it uses about twice as much power at peak as normal operation.

Not sure as I’ve bought them over a wide span of time. It would be less than a year I’d imagine

All those little 100W spikes are the compressor turning on. The taller ones are the compressor and defrost cycle at the same time. It’s defrosting once a day.

24 hours from my plug, keep in mind that my Kogan ESPhome config averages 10 readings so the spikes don’t show up.

They do show up on my main house monitoring:

Ahh. Thanks… Good to know… I’m not really versed in fridge operation.

How do you handle whole house monitoring?

You seem to have VERY low power usage.

This is the last 24 hours from just 7 power monitors. Doesn’t include lights/ovens/hot water.

A Shelly EM monitors my two supplies. Lights and power, heating & hot water.

The house is empty at the moment.

Wow, my fridge max’s out at about 66watts. I use an Iotawatt with CT’s on every circuit.

Fridge is on PowerPoints1 circuit

Yours is also on for twice as long. What’s your daily energy for the fridge in kWh?

Mine is about 1.3KWh per day.

Good point, Exactly the same, 1.3kwh. I guess there is a pile of other factory too, ie Size, age, etc.

1 Like

How is the wifi signal from inside a metal box? Does it need calibration with a 60W bulb like smart power plug meters? Any word on it being certified for Australia?

My biggest hurdle to getting around to installing anything like this is the cost to get an electrician out and the fear of seeing our power usage in such a confronting manner :stuck_out_tongue: