Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

never too early to be prepared for christmas :wink:

1 Like

Howā€™d you go with this ? Anyone in VIC using the Rainforest 200 with HA ? Seems like a good option and no wiring too.

I would love to know. I am using a Raven USB stick from Rainforest Automation, but I am running a legacy Python script that uploads to emoncms, and pulling data from there with HA, would much prefer a direct connection to HA if possible

@dazza25 @dexstar

No, I didnā€™t get anywhere much with it. Although I didnā€™t look overly hard either. You need to be able to pickup zigbee security protocol(as opposed to home automation protocol) so at a minimum you need a dedicated zigbee device. I am not sure if zigbee2mqtt has looked into that as yet. It would be interesting to try if someone had the service active already. The suppliers wonā€™t activate the communication protocol unless the hardware is acceptableā€¦

Not quite, but I recently got powerpal installed for free. The free version is Bluetooth only; however, I was told by the installer that there is a zigbee version available as well.
Iā€™ve been thinking of sniffing the BT traffic to see if there are ways to integrate with HA.

1 Like

Yeah, was looking at that too. Theyā€™re looking for testers too. Might give it a shot. Plus free is always nice. Keep us posted how you go with yours. Thanks. :+1:

1 Like

Signed up for beta testing. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

At least you got bags of insulation! The builder that did our house ordered the batts, showed the certifier, then cancelled the order. Second owner so canā€™t chase him down unfortunately. Just recently started loading up with Earthwool but yet to finish, then will be putting in a powered exhaust. Tiled roof with sarking, 2 storey, sounds similar to yours except ours is hardyplanks on the second level.

Iā€™ve included roofspace temperature so I can monitor the change once I get the roof painted (darker) and install the exhaust fan.

1 Like

Anyone in VIC using the Rainforest 200 with HA ? Seems like a good option and no wiring too.

Yes. Working fine using both the built in HA integration and Node Red.

Of course it all depends on your network provider and whether they support user supplied monitoring. Iā€™m in an AusNet area.

1 Like

Hi, Thatā€™s very helpful! I have a question, our lab developed an electronic system, and we would like to sell it to several collaborators (other labs) in our field to get some feedback in order to improve the system, in this case, do we still a certification, like FCC? switchboards

Best answer will probably be from https://www.eess.gov.au or the state electrical safety body. I donā€™t know if switchboards need an rcm markā€¦

hwww.nesma.org.au/images/pdfs/SwitchboardFAQs.pdf

You probably donā€™t need to be compliant to sell it to another groupā€¦But they probably canā€™t install it either.

Are there many options for 4 gang switches?

I currently have 2x Nue 4 gangs but they do not show states correctly like all of the other Nue switches so it messes up my automations.

https://greenhse.com/lighting-perth/glass-light-switch-perth/sw-01-all.html

Thanks! Do they play nicely with HA?

I havenā€™t tried them but I believe them to be Tuya based so hopefully flashable with ESPhome

Hopefully someone else can be the guinea pig for me :laughing:

Hi aussies,
I have been tinkering around the edges with HA for a few years now but I think Iā€™m ready to start a steep learning curve. I am however really bad at solo learning. I tend to slip slideways and make projects more complicated than what they really are. I am interested in meeting with other aussie HA users to just thrash out ideas etc. If anyone is interested in discussing further then drop me a PM.
Pat

1 Like

Where do you live?

Hi @Patraff. Iā€™ll tell you what, HA can be a bit of a headache, but if you have the time can really be worth it.

tenor

I flashed the single gang with ESPHome without issue.
The template is further up.
I couldnā€™t get tuya-convert to connect but I did a manual ftdi flash and it works well.