Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Looking at getting some garden lights and Philips Hue is way expensive. Reading back it looks like both Brilliant and Mirabella (Bunnings and KMart) are Tuya based and flashable to some extent. Any recomendations between the brands? And the Holman ones from Bunnings look good but were previously Bluetooth, but have recently brought out a Wifi controller. Can anyone tell me if this is Tuya and if anyone has flashed it? Any other brand recommendations? HPM? Cheers.

I have the Mirabella Brilliant garden spot lights. Bought, flashed with ESPHome and installed more than a year ago. I bought 2 packs and connected all 8 lights to the same controller and power supply. I usually run them with a slow rainbow effect (all lights same colour at the same time). I’m happy with them.

I also have the Mirabella bollard lights, again flashed with ESPHome. They are quite small, light-weight and made of thin plastic, so not sure how long they will last.

Edit: Very sorry, mixed up the brands - I actually have Brilliant spot lights in the garden, and am very happy with them. I think they were on sale at Aldi that time.

1 Like

It would be nice if there was a subforum for Aus/NZ and then topics in there where you could follow the actual threads.

The mods wanted us to tag this thread (or any new ones specifically related to Aus/NZ) but it does not seem like anyone is - so i guess the majority are happy with this current arrangement

Craig

Hi Craig, I made the same suggestion many posts ago, as have others. If I knew how to tag a post, I would. :frowning:

You can add tags to a post when creating it by typing in here.

But although someone mentioned the mods said there was an electric-au tag, it doesn’t appear you can actually add it.

Ikea is now stocking a zigbee power outlet ! It does not however have a manual button on the device though :thinking:

They have also released the shortcut button, z2m shows support only for action, not sure on number of options available (single, double, etc)

zigbee2mqtt says

The possible values are: on , brightness_move_up , brightness_stop

And there goes another Kogan V1 plug.

That’s two in two months, both over a year old.

Guess that roughly translates to click, hold and release.

TBH I think the wireless switch is better value, and 1/3 cheaper ($10) gives you twice the functions.

Same! I lost two in a very short period of time… can’t really be surprised for the price and brand

The Xiaomi switches do

The possible values are: single , double , triple , quadruple , hold , release

That’s two different models though.

Once gives single - quad and the other gives single/double, hold/release.

And takes aaaages to get here by comparison :rofl:

I am pointing to one model. I don’t find it slow.

Yeah your right, I was thinking of the Aqara models, not the xiaomi one :+1:

I was comparing shipping time from China vs dropping past the local ikea store

Yeah I know the feeling. PITA at present.

Yeah only the person who put the post up can add a tag.

Thats the problen with the solution that the mods wanted - chicken and egg, we can not tag the original post, and everyone keeps posting here rather than in seperate posts they can tag !

Craig

I guess the point of my post wasn’t that you need a new post to create a tag (which is fine, tagging this particular post would be useless), but that the actual tag they recommended we use doesn’t even exist and it doesn’t seem you can just create tags willy nilly.

I came to this forum this morning looking for answers why 2 of my v1 switches died. Looks like everyone else is having the same issues.
I swapped them out with IP44 Outdoor plugs (still v1)

The Shelly Dimmer 2 is now approved for use in Australia!

10 Likes

I’m confused by the Dimmer 2, I see it doesn’t require a neutral wire. However, does it work out the box with no neutral to are additional components/part required to make it work?

The Dimmer 2 works without a neutral but requires a minimum current flow so there is a voltage drop across the electronics. If the minimum current isn’t met, external components are needed to bypass the light being controlled so more current can flow.
It is all on their website.

1 Like