Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Well I went out and got one of the Brilliant Smart (Model 20925). I was able to use tuya convert to get Tasmota onto it.
I read that the energy monitor isn’t that accurate, so I am not sure if I should keep it as tasmota, or load up esphome onto it…

Anyway, I don’t think I will buy any more, as $25 is a bit high… unless they are on sale…

Ive had one of the BL20925 running on our washing machine for just over a year. Working great!
I hope I haven’t jinxed it.

It’s fine if you connect a known load and adjust the calibration variables in the ESPHome config.

2 Likes

I replaced all my light switches with these - I flashed with Tasmota and have the functionality you are after. Not cheap but look nice and function manually and via WiFi.

You need automation rules for lights switched from multi points as you can’t wire these up the same as manual switches. You also need deep wall boxes as they are quite deep.

They also provide power monitoring.

Let me know if you want more info - been meaning to write my experience up anyway.

1 Like

I bought one of these which seem to be similar to the wifi version Wayne posted. They seem pretty good.

I can’t seem to get zigbee2mqtt recognise it at the moment. It shows up as recognised but the model number is ‘TS0014’.

Edit: Blackadder has added support for this switch to get included in a future commit

1 Like

Those look good, have purchased from that store before too.

Question about the switch, it HA and z2m were down, do the switches still turn the lights on and off? I am thinking how user friendly it would be for future occupants if we sold.

Also, any idea if you can wire up a two way switch on these?

Yes they function as a normal switch when not connected.

HA will change the status of the switch via Zigbee and the switch will go from red to blue etc.

1 Like

These 4 Gang ones are now working with Zigbee2Mqtt Edge.

1 Like

Legend, thanks mate.

Which ZigBee hub/bridge are you pairing them with?

I just have a CC2652R stick.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m looking for something to replace standard AUS light switches that is not touch. It can be push button or toggle but it has to have some form of haptic feedback. Also preferring zigbee if possible.

The Stitchy thing looks like it would work well but finding a distributor seems to be a pain. Any options that I’m missing out there?

WiFi, not Zigbee, but can be flashed with Tasmota/ESP Home.

1 Like

I have those Connect switches and they are ok and wife approved.
I would love to do Stitchy but can’t stand how you have to use a switch with them and they would get out of sync. CNW – Maddington (Perth) had them on display. They are also quite pricy like $120 each.

1 Like

$120 each for the stitchy! Outch, no wonder I couldn’t find a price.

@kanga_who thanks, they look pretty decent. Some questions, can you control the indicator led to be off with tasmota? won’t fly in the bedroom if that’s on at night. Also is it a switch or just a toggle? most of my lights are horizontal and the direction looks a bit annoying for mounting that way.

I don’t have them myself, but I believe they are toggles.

Tasmota does let you control LEDs sometimes, unsure in this case, nothing a drop of liquid paper wouldn’t fix though.

1 Like

@dimand I made a template on blakadder for the two button switch, you can disable or invert the LED

2 Likes

Hi. Posting this here as I believe it is relevant to hardware available and certified for Australia.

Seems to be a strong consensus on this thread that all tuya devices that can be flashed should be flashed to run locally and not rely on cloud. Also seems to be increasingly less likely that this route will be viable with future releases of tuya devices.

I presently have 92 tuya entities (switches, fans, sensors) using the standard tuya integration and the hardware discussed in this thread. I’ve not noticed any reliability issues over the last year or so. Before that I had some issues with state not updating correctly but that issue seems to have been fixed.

I am running many of the sensors and switches to manage reef aquariums that animal health depends upon. For example, water chemistry and level sensor readings switch on dosing pumps. Reliably has been fine thus far but I would consider a lengthy network service provider or tuya cloud outage a significant risk.

I can mitigate the risk of my nbn fttn connection failing as I have 5g failover and notifications that my hubs and devices are offline. It is difficult to mitigate the risk of the tuya servers failing. Same with any service though including nabu casa. Is that the main reason you flash? I don’t believe I’ve seen a tuya outage in the last 2.5 years so the probability of this risk occurrence seems low but the impact is potentially high.

I’d appreciate the views of those here to better understand the risk profile. Based on my experience so far I wouldn’t be concerned about reliability of tuya integration for standard household use cases but my aquarium use case presents more concern.

I don’t think I have the skills or time to disassemble, solder, and flash every device I have. I’m not sure if the brains trust here do all that because you like tinkering or if there is a real risk that can’t be mitigated.

Thanks

1 Like

There’s also the big data privacy issue.

But it’s great to hear it is working for you and you have a network fallback.

1 Like

Glad all is working for you.

Key for me are:

• mitigating the risk if tuya went out of business/ disappeared tomorrow - I KNOW my devices/ system would still work
  • linked to above - I have confidence that if a device is working today then it almost certain to still be working tomorrow - unless I consciously decide to make a change
  • by taking away reliance on cloud I am also able to block the devices from ALL external communication (privacy) without having to configure ports/ ips individually for every device.
  • also, the speed of response of sensors and switches is quicker - as all managed locally

Finally as devices cannot access external sites I have absolute certainty of control over timing and implementation of updates/ changes to devices, as they can only be updated if I download and apply the update to the device. This has additional benefits:

• I only update when needed
  • and when I do update
    - I only do so when I have the time to test impact
    - I can test update on less critical devices (eg test device) before rolling out to others

With over 100 Tasmota devices I shudder to think of the firefighting I would have to do if a third party I relied upon went down/ made a changed that impacted how the system worked…

2 Likes