Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I don’t know how to set it up. I’d prefer an off-the-shelf solution as my knowledge of such things is limited.

I thought I read somewhere (mid last year maybe) that the Shelly 3EM was expected to go through certification in early 2021. It doesn’t appear to have yet, and I can’t for the life of me find where I read it…

Expand your mind. Glad to help, but start a new thread and tag me in.

Not sure I would recommend a CT project as a beginner ESPHome example. There are quite a few topics on people having difficulty getting that particular component working.

@currest2620 I agree with Tom. Just get an iotawatt and win. I have one and it’s been rock solid

3 Likes

I think that is good advice. Thanks for the info and feedback everyone.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve ordered an IoTaWatt system (incl 100A CT) from their Aussie Bundle.

Do I need to get the specific power supply (5v USB) and reference power (9VAC 1A) they’ve mentioned from Jaycar or will any power supply do?

I think the reference power supply is important. They say they have calibrated the jaycar one.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll get the power reference from Jaycar and assume any USB 5v will do for the supply (have a few lying about the place).

Yeah they procreate I think

I ended up getting some Brilliant RGB Garden Spotlights. Haven’t reflashed them, but LocalTuya seems to find them OK. Has anyone worked out what all these DP settings should be for these? (Should be the same as any other Tuya-based brand I guess?). Totally confused how to work them out.

ESPHome code:

output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_red
    pin: GPIO4
    id: output_green
    pin: GPIO12
    id: output_blue
    pin: GPIO14

light:
  - platform: rgb
    name: "Garden Lights 3"
    id: gardenlight
    red: output_red
    green: output_green
    blue: output_blue

# Ensure the light turns on by default if the physical switch is actuated.
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_OFF

OK the Brilliant RGB Garden Lights seem to work OK if you leave the white settings blank. My config is as follows:

Brilliant RGB Garden Lights
Friendly Name RGB Garden Lights
Host 192.x.x.x
Local Key xxxxxxxxxxxx
Protocol Version 3.3
Entities 20 RGB Garden Lights
Brightness (only for white colour) [Blank]
Color Temperature [Blank]
Brightness Lower Value 29
Brightness Upper Value 100
Color Mode 21 (value: colour)
Color 24 (value 01xxxxxxxx)
Minimum Color Temperature in K
Maxiimum Colour Temperature in K
Scene [Blank]
Music mode available [Unchecked]

Highly recommend the IOTAWATT for whole of house powr monitoring.

You can query it with a Rest.api to get out any info you want to populate your HA dashboard.

I do all my work with my units with Node Red and then pump out the values from there

Craig

3 Likes

Hey guys - currently am running all zigbee lights in our home with zigbee2MQTT. The switches we use for all except bathroom and one LED strip in the kitchen are Philips Hue Dimmer switches stuck over the top of the physical switch. I was avoiding changing the switches to smart switches because we may move, but have decided to stay put for a couple more years. Therefore, I’m after some advice on what to do with the switches.

Requirement:

-Ability to work independently without a home automation system (I.e. if I were to sell the place I don’t want to have to change switches)

-Can program HA to consider a click of the switch the beginning of an automation.

I don’t know if these two are even possible in the one device. Essentially I want the switch to work as a normal switch if need be (whether that be guests or future owners)

Will need to have neutral wires run to each switch too.

Additionally - I’m chasing recommendation for something to allow remote access/automation of LED strips installed in kitchen/bathroom cabinets and bathroom exhaust fans.

Well, it looks like I just had one of the Kogan Gen2 Smart Switches die on me overnight…
Of course it was the one I have connected to my Router, NUC (including HA) and NBN box, so when I woke up and saw the alert about not been able to connect to HA. I firstly assumed it was my NBN box, which does seem to go down/reboot regularly overnight. However I soon discovered that there was no power to anything.
I then assumed it was my power meter, or the power was out in my area (Lots of wind in Melbourne last night) but everything else was working…

So I removed the smart switch and plugged all my stuff directly into the wall, and power again.

I did plug the switch into another point, and it did start working for a bit, but just kept clicking on/off and it was flooding my network, (some other wireless devices were offline) so I unplugged it. Left it for a few mins, my other devices came back, and then when I plugged it in, nothing

I pushed the button, but nothing changes and the blue light doesn’t go on. However the usb ports seem to work…

I checked how long ago I ordered then, and guess what, It was 1st May 2020, so just over 12 months.
It seems its like the original, fails after 12 months. Anyway, I have a few others in the house, so will see how they go over the next few weeks.

So for anyone else who ordered these, maybe keep it in mind but YMMV

These do not comply with the NZ Consumer Guarantees Act. I am sure Oz must have similar legislation.

There are a whole bunch of caveats in Australian consumer law that override the stated warranty period, things like:

What is a major failure with goods?
A major failure with goods is when:
• a reasonable consumer would not have
bought the goods if they had known about
the problem. For example, no reasonable
consumer would buy a washing machine if
they knew the motor was going to burn out
after three months

I certainly would not have bought these plugs if I knew they would only last 12 months.

I’ve just purchased a whole bunch of Brilliant power monitoring plugs to replace my Kogan V1s. Had 4 of 19 fail so far.

I am thinking of going to officeworks and grabbing some of those Brilliant power monitors
$25 is a bit more that I got the Kogan for (4 for $50 plus delivery) but if they last longer, I might as well try some.

Can we still convert these with tuya-convert. or do I need to open them.

That’s the million dollar question. They run quite warm which is a bit of a worry.