Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

What do you mean?

I mean @danielperez505 is implying the stock standard POW 2 is different from the ones they are importing (other than the label). It would be interesting to do a teardown on one.

I donā€™t see him implying that at all, but it depends on how you interpret ā€œtraditional modelsā€.

@danielperez505 great work on this. I find it difficult to penetrate the jargon on the government/regulatory websites. Can you tell me if this certification means these are now legal in NZ?

It doesnā€™t get much clearer than this:

I think he means POW doesnā€™t comply, POW R2 does.

I see that the prices are up as well

Not sure if anyone seen it, but on the Itead Facebook page posted 25th Dec

Dear Australian users, SONOFF DIY smart switches are in the middle of the RCM testing for legal Australian installation while ETA is not available at the moment. Any progress will be shared on Facebook in the future.

looks like they are bringing more devices to be compliant

3 Likes

Very excited to stumble across this place and the first thread I see is you guys making sure stuffs certified. We are Fibaro dealers and installers in Melbourne and the influx of non certified wifi products is out of control.

Well done for caring. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Donā€™t get too excited, mate. I personally think that the Australian certification system is unnecessarily complicated and protectionist.

A great example of the Australian way going completely pear-shaped is what I just saw in what Clipsal is doing: Selling re-branded Aeotec or similar Z-Wave devices for A$200 per piece that otherwise cost A$80-90 - thatā€™s just extortion.
Or look at IKEA: Theyā€™re selling their TRƅDFRI products in Europe for about 2 years, and in Australia - postponing, postponing, postponing?
A lack of competition does the rest to delay any kind of innovation on the Australian smart home market.

4 Likes

I completely agree on your statements about Clipsal however the reasons behind that are not based on extortion so much as poor management.

I absolutely back Australian electrical standards and believe innovation should never come before human safety. Ever.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve been buying the certified POW 2s. More than triple the cost and bugger all difference between them and the ITEAD ones as far as I can tell. Expensive labels. But this small Aussie distributor did get them tested so Iā€™m supporting them. Also I can point my insurance company to the receipt if my house ever burns down.

Ok so it isnā€™t of interest so itā€™s gone!

Not being rude but what does this have to do with Australian electrical certification?

You would be better off starting a new post.

2 Likes

FYI - After much work, I have begun to finally have sucess and the ā€˜Nueā€™ / ā€˜3A Smarthomeā€™ switches are beginning to be supported with the awesome Zigbee2MQTT component, via a cheap CC2531 Zigbee dongle.

Iā€™m hoping to have the rest of the models I own supported in the coming week/s.

1 Like

These can be flashed with Tasmota or ESPhome (using this) to be integrated with HA without any need for Cloud connectivity. Iā€™ll be getting a couple soon to try out. They donā€™t have power monitoring so are limited in a way, but good value for money

6 Likes

Just flashed a couple of these with esphome. works flawlessly

1 Like

What method did you use to flash them?
OTA like Tuya-convert or did you open it up?

i tried both. tuya-convert is by far the easiest, the pins on the chip a very small, just about got some wires soldered on them. but doable

Ended up picking a few of the Brilliant Smart Plugs (thanks for the heads up @sparkydave). Flashed them with esphome using tuya-convert via a Raspberry Pi 2 B+ w/ Raspberry WiFi Adaptor.

Should anyone else wish to use esphome, please find below the configuration I ended up using which still allows you to use the button on the plug.

smartplug.yaml

esphome:
  name: smartplug
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp8285

wifi:
  ssid: SSIDNAME
  password: SSIDPASS

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Web Server (optional)
web_server:
  port: 80

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: 14
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    name: Plug Button
    on_press:
      - switch.toggle: relay
  - platform: status
    name: Plug Status

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    name: Relay
    pin: 5
    id: relay
3 Likes

I know this is a little off topic but I just discovered that the below RPi package actually lets you select an SD card with HassIO already on it. Thats pretty cool! (I was only looking because a friend wanted a shopping list to get started with HA)

https://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/raspberry-pi-3-plus-basic-starter-kit/

Pity its only a Sandisk card though :unamused: (given that these seem to have a bad wrap for failures when running HA)