Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Could do, I have a few options to consider. I want the pendant lights in the kitchen seperate from the downlights but could run them all together.

Is there a local supplier? I had a google, but no dice so far.

I came across some recent discussion in a NZ forum about Shelly vs Clipsal Wiser. In case anyone’s interested, here’s the link: New build smart ‘stuff’ Shelly vs PDL Wiser (geekzone.co.nz)

About the usual standard of debate on geekzone.

ahh NIck, it seems like you and I should share a good whisky. When i next visit NZ I well let you know.
Pat

Christchurch, and always have it on hand, fancy a Laphroaig?

Now you’re talking. Been to Christchurch about 4 years ago. Daughter married a Kiwi. Plan to get there again in next 12 months

I was introduced to Laphroaig many years ago by a mate who married a Nth Ireland lassie. I distill something quite similar.

Happy to host you if you want a visit to Oz.

Many thanks, whereabouts are you?

Far North Coast NSW. If you’re over here got plenty of room

Cheers, I’ll remember that!

1 Like

Can anyone recommend a reliable smart plug that can handle a gaming pc? wifi or zigbee

I’ve been using smart plugs to turn off power to the home office as my setup draws a fair amount of standby power. I’ve got a ryzen 5 and 3070 (roughly 300-400w at load) along with a work laptop and 4x display monitors in total.

I’ve used the TP-Link hs-110 and the Telstra Sercomm smart plugs. Both have had their relays fail after 1-2 years

I’m happy using these WiFi and ZigBee power strips.

2 monitors, PS3 and PC.

1 Like

Interesting I use the HS-110 on my washer and dryer, and they regularly see the full 2400W load on them. I’ve had them on there fore at least 5 years now.

Thanks, didn’t think to look at power strips. I assume they are built to handle higher loads

Yeah duno what the deal is. Are you actually using it to switch on and off or just energy monitoring? Mine will report as off but the relay doesn’t switch so things stay on

Yeah off when not being used, on whilst running. Energy monitoring to determine the machines state.

Nope. Both power strips and single outlets are only going to be rated at a max of 10 Amps. ie: A 4 gang power board is only rated to supply 10A shared across the 4 outlets, or 10A out one outlet and nothing on the other 3.

2 Likes

hmm damn, the relays have been the issue for me so i guess that would mean a powerstrip at least has some redundancy :laughing:

Maybe i’ve just had bad luck and will give another smart plug a go. Looking at the esphome flashed athom plugs which claims that it can handle 16A

Just be aware that these are NOT Aus certified

I bought a few of the new v2 version of the athom plugs. They are really good.
I used this opportunity to reflash these with esphome, and I learned a lot while doing it. (even bricked one, which can happen if you are not careful).
They give good power readings, and can easily be turned on/off via HA.