Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

My Brilliant Smart plug is connected to a dumb tv. I use power consumption to determine it’s on/off state. I actually use a Chomecast TV and hdmi-cec to turn the tv on/off rather than the switch (which is always on).

I looked at it’s current readings by chance and noticed the “tv off periods” have been increasing (red underline).

And the power consumption when on appears to be decreasing.

Voltage is weird too.

I’m try to understand if it’s the Brilliant Smart plug or the tv which has issues (and is potentially about to cark it or even be a hazard?) .

Could anyone familiar with failure modes comment?

Edit: Maybe this chart shows it clearer…

It’s the smart plug. I saw this same failure mode with one of mine.

2 Likes

Not unexpected at this point as you also know. Another one bites the dust. That’s 6 of 8.

Will see how my uncertified luck with the Athoms goes…

Mercator still refusing to help with the gpos turning off multiple times a day. I’ve provided as much evidence as I can find including huge numbers if different devices using the same tuya components which suffer the same issue (tripping at 250v)

Simple firmware update would fix it, but they won’t budge.

Do not buy Mercator ikuu zigbee gpos. This will cost me thousands to swap out for Clipsal or maybe shelly

Any recommendations on how to control a couple of ceiling fans I have with lights that were supplied and installed with a remote only?

Broadlink mini?

this. Cheap(ish) and works well

I too use broadlink for this. Intercepts the rf link of the remote, and transmits this over ethernet where you can control it via HA. You need to teach the broadlink about the remote so it can interpret the buttons properly, so a little painful to setup.

Looking at this, it only works on IR. I think my fan/light uses the 433MHz frequency or some other radio as it is definitely not IR.

Would this Broadlink RM4 Pro or this BOND Bridge WiFi RF Controller work for what I need and do they integrate with Home Assistant?

There is also a bond bridge I have not used either myself, have only been looking into it a little

I was just editing my post with that same question.

Rm4 pro does ir and Rf. You could potentially have it near your TV for visual IR range and still be in Rf range for your fans…

It has a HA integration. Although it used to be abit messy to add it. You had to partially add it via the app, then add it to HA. Not sure if that is still true.

Edit: also make sure you get the 433 version, should be able to get it with Aus plug too.

I’ve used the brilliants pruchased from Officeworks, that were then flashed to tasmota. They were probably my go to smart plugs until they could no longer be flashed OTA. I have had about a 50% failure rate after 12 months though - the others have now been going for two years without issues.

I’ve also been using the TP-Link KASA KP115’s, which are controlled locally (although does need cloud setup these days), but no longer appear to be available at Bunnings.

For the Christmas lights, I just bought a coupld of TP-Link Tapo P110’s which have power monitoring. They need a separate app to the KASA’s to setup (seriously TP-Link?) and there is a custom integration for local control which is handy. They seem to be pretty good build quality, a decent price (I paid $21 for them, but they’re now $24) and you can get two side by side in the same outlet.

2 Likes

The Broadlink RM pro4 can learn and send RF but not continuously listen (say you had some RF buttons or door sensors etc). I’ve found them able to learn a wide range of codes though.

Sonoff RF Bridge can learn/send/listen but I found it could not learn the codes I needed (I used the ESPHome hardware hack. Things may have changed.

I actually have and used both for a while.

But I recently moved from the Sonoff as a listener and on to a DIY approach (ESPHome, ESP32, RF transceiver. I’m very happy with that. Haven’t had to learn codes with it yet though…

I have lots of these little diy RF remotes scattered around the place. Sometimes nothing beats a nearby pushbutton for convenience I reckon.

3 Likes

I was tempted by the KASAs as they seem to be getting good feedback.

But I decided I really wanted ESPHome running on them so went with the uncertified Athoms.

I’m not sure what flexibility you get with the KASA, but being able to implement “auto off after x minutes” locally on the device (if network fails etc) has become an important feature for me, which ESPHOME can do. Any clue if KASA has some local device options like that?

1 Like

Just getting started into home automation, I was wondering what Australian online site is certified in selling WIFI Power switches & Light switches? I’d like to add the following pretty soon to my house to control switches via WIFI such as my roller blind shutters and lights.

Shelly 2.5 for my roller shutters and for my lights Shelly D2 Wi-Fi Dimmer. Is the Shelly brand certified to be sold/installed in Australia?

I’m also searching for a smart plug that can monitor my appliance energy usage by the hour (if possible) I’ve only come across daily ones and weekly… Any particular brand/smart plug that can offer this info (prefer if it’s certified for use in Australia)

Thanks in advance

Welcome @Argonauts.

I know this is a massive thread and it can be hard to locate info, but if you search the thread with a few keywords you will find lots of info on your topics.

Then I’m sure people will be happy to help with specifics…

1 Like

Yes most Shelly items are certified for Aus (go to this site https://equipment.erac.gov.au/Public/ and in the “Applicant” field, type “Allterco” Shelly’s parent company), you’ll get this unhelpful list, you need to click on each link to discover the model name

e.g.the 4th one in the list is the Shelly Plus 2PM

The “Plus 2PM” recently (June-2022) became certified. It’s the ESP32 version of the 2.5 with bluetooth and a much better web UI. Have a look at:
SHELLY Wi-Fi Australia - SmartHome and
WIFI Home Automation Solutions Australia - Smart Wireless Home Products – tagged "Shelly"

Both the 2.5PM and the new Plus 2PM do energy monitoring.

For energy monitoring plugs, I’ve had success with the TP-Link “Kasa” type, scroll up a few posts to see my recent comments on this.

Good luck.

Using HA KASA SMART integration, my KP115 plugs do not have this feature.

But my Arlec PC191HA ones from Bunnings running Tuya have dp_id 9 “countdown_1” which toggles the switch after 0-86400 seconds.

Both fit nicely side by side and have easily accessible manual switches … but I’m planning to try an Athom Zigbee next time I need to buy a switch

1 Like

I pulled apart 3 dead Brilliant Smart plugs to see if I could see anything exciting. But couldn’t. Not that I’d know what to look for other than something obvious.

Interestingly the one in the left is an earlier model but external labelling is identical. I think I recall people mentioning that at an earlier point.

What can we learn from this? Probably nothing;)

They popped apart easy enough with a pry-tool.

They all had TYWE2S chips and were Tasmotized then ESPHomed…