Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Nope.

I am finally trying to flash one of these downlights using your code (flashing with ESPhome Flasher) but I keep getting this error:

Using ‘COM3’ as serial port.
Connecting……_____
Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

I dont know what to try different. COM3 is definitely correct (its the only one and is correct as per Device Manager)

I have TX of the USB-serial converter connected to RX on the LED and vice versa.

Any ideas?

Try shorting IO0 to ground before powering on to put it in flashing mode.

1 Like

Hi All, I noticed that the Grid Connect range at Bunnings seems to have expanded lately, including a double wall socket and door bells. It includes manufactures other than Arlec now as well.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/smart-home/grid-connect-compatible-products

1 Like

Damn it annoys me that Bunnings NZ do not stock this stuff, even though we have a combined regulatory regime.

@sparkydave, feel like getting one of these and seeing if you can flash it with Tasmota/ESP easily?

$50 for a Aus stocked and certified double GPO with Tasmota running on it would be awesome!

1 Like

oh heck, im a grab myself one of those heater panels and some other bits

Not in stock around here, will have to wait I guess

Yeah, not in stock on the north side of Brisbane, either :frowning:

So If I am understanding correctly, the grid connect devices that bunnings is now selling, are likely to be esp based? Meaning that theoretically, they should be tasmota / esphome etc compatible?

Awesome!

I think I may just get ZigBee enabled gpo as they seem around same price and I can then use to extend my ZigBee network without fear of someone turning it off

1 Like

They are ESP based with a Tuya chip, and many Tuya products used to be able to be flashed OTA with TuyaConvert, but the Tuya has blocked that method from working, so the only way to flash them now is to open up the product and solder pins and flash via serial and PC.

The soldering and flashing that way doesnt bother me, however my concern is around how to disassemble some of these items, without destroying the WAF factor of them (ie not looking like something that has been run over by a car and glued back together…)

1 Like

Would some kind soul be prepared to buy one of those double plugs and send it to me in NZ? Could pay you via paypal, or direct to your bank account.

Yeah, no problem.

As soon as I can get my hands on one, I can send one to you.

Cheers mate, just PM me when you need some money and an address :slight_smile:

1 Like

@tom_l You legend! That worked perfectly and I now have 1 of 6 downlights integrated to HA. Now to do the rest of them. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Once I have these Zemismart downlights done I might look at it. Thats a good price compared with putting a z-wave switch behind an outlet

Bugger, doesn’t appear to be any of the DPP’s in Adelaide either.

Not that I really need any…

Just a question, did you use some flux to get the pins to take nicely to the board?