Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

At $70 it is almost worth buying one to see wow it is seen by ZHA and Z2M.

This one says its rf interconnected but ?
Did they tell you it uses zigbee to interconnect and connect to the gateway ?

Also if you click on it, it shows the rf ranger when you go to buy it

Not sure if its worth investing in a smart smoke alarm.

My Apple HomePod listens for the wail and notifies me every time it goes off no matter where I am.

Nor sure where I got the Zigbee from, I donā€™t have the initial question I sent anymore and there is no mention in their doco and also no mention of the RF frequency.

Either Zigbee or other RF, if canā€™t integrated into HA I probably donā€™t want it.

1 Like

Hey guys, I want to give wled a shot and see how it is but everything Iā€™m finding on it is super confusing. Iā€™ve got some esp32s on their way so I can use that, but out of curiosity where do people get some good led strips, and what are recommended? Iā€™m not a huge fan of the type where you can see the individual diodes, but not sure if thereā€™s much choice or if I can use any led strip or what the go is?

The other question is about the power for it - what do people use for powering their wled creations, and how does it all work? Is it just a specific wattage or do you need to work out how much youā€™re using based on your led strip?

Thanks in advanced!

Lots of information lower down on this page: Addressable Digital LEDs - quinled.info

WS812B is vey common but there are many others that work with WLED.

If you donā€™t want to see the individual LEDs you have a few options: COB LED strips, which are power hungry and expensive. Or put your strip in aluminium channel with a diffuser, cheaper and has the advantage of heatsinking your strip for long life. Or ā€œneonā€ rope type LED strips, these are WS812B led strips or similar in a flexible plastic diffuser coating. All are available on Ailiexpress.

Yes you need to size the power supply appropriately.

Yes you should buy a genuine Meanwell power supply.

Looking for advice on a fire rated smart lock with good HA integration - for my unit.

I prefer something without requirement for the cloud. Ideally would have a physical key as backup.

iā€™m keen to try this - just bought one and will install. Would love to have zigbee dimming and on off control over my lifx lights via HA

Although the zigbee switch itself would then turn it off with power, although I could turn it back on with automation.

I really want to have a wife friendly option that she can use with the switch to turn it on rather than using voice. If the lifx light is off

Not sure the best way to do this.i guess all I need to do is update my lighting automation to check if the zigbee switches on and if it isnā€™t, turn it on. Otherwise do nothing and just use the lifx integration to control the light.

Does that sound sane?

Well the dimmer component is not going to control the dimming on your LIFX lights, youā€™re mixing two different technologies https://support.lifx.com/hc/en-us/articles/14509214521623-Are-LIFX-compatible-with-dimmer-switches-.

Youā€™d be better off buying something like a shelly and putting it into detached switch mode. That way the switch is detached from the relay, you can set the relay to be always on, and the switch works through Home Assistant to control dimming/power for the LIFX switch.

I do have a template light setup given I run a couple of Philips Hue bulbs off of physical switches with Fibaros on them. As theyā€™re straight relays, dimming only works through the Home Assistant interface. But you can power them on/off using either the switch or HA.

- platform: template
  lights:
    b_template_light:
      unique_id: blightpendant
      level_template: >-
        {% if is_state('light.b_ceiling_light', 'on') %}
          {{ state_attr('light.b_ceiling_light', 'brightness') | int }}
        {% else %}
        {% endif %}
      turn_off:
        service: light.turn_off
        target:
          entity_id: light.bs_light_switch
      turn_on:
        service: light.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: light.bs_light_switch
        data:
          brightness_pct: 100
      value_template: >-
        {% if is_state('switch.b_light_7', 'on') %}
          on
        {% else %}
          off
        {% endif %}
      set_level:
        service: light.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: light.b_ceiling_light
        data:
          brightness: "{{ brightness }}"

You are right. I need to get a zigbee switch that doesnā€™t kill the power. And I donā€™t need any dimming functionality

I could look at the LIFX switches but I donā€™t understand how they work yet

Is there a reason zigbee is a hard requirement? HA is meant to assist breaking those barriers down. Iā€™m not aware of any that have detached mode - the zigbee2mqtt database doesnā€™t appear to have settings available for it for the Ikuu or Clipsal/Schneider zigbee relays.

Nope. Iā€™m flexible. Just want to stop my wife having to turn the kids lights off and on to turn on as she does it manually sometimes. (Sometimes the automation may delay or be to low for her or not right time
. either way need manual. .

You can wire any smart switch in detached mode.

You supply power to the switch and bulb separately without the switch contacts cutting power to the bulb.

Not sure that would comply with the AU/NZ wiring standards as each light (or group of lights on the same circuit) requires an isolation. Unless Iā€™m misunderstanding your intention to bypass the switch by directly wiring to the light.

I asked my electrician the same thing and he was of the opinion ā€œthatā€™s what the circuit breaker is forā€.

Is he right?

Dunno, Iā€™m not an electrician.

It infuriates me when a company makes a significant change to a product like this - Big Tech is getting too comfortable with selling a product which they later downgrade.

1 Like

Did you find this thread?

Thanksā€¦ will have a good look through there. On first glance, thereā€™s a limited amount about fire rated locks but itā€™s clearly a better place for my question.

2 Likes

I know this post was awhile ago, but are you still using the stitchy dimmer modules? can two of them fit behind a switch? do you know if they will work in a two switch setup? if the switch is off can you still turn it on from the app/phone/homekit?