Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Fighting for ACL / warranty remedy for this sort of stuff is often not worth the hassle and retailers know it. I’ve not had a response from the retailer yet but that’s not surprising given the time of year.

It’s a test of whether paying a significantly more for a local supplier of Australian certified hardware is worth it.

I assume Australia has an equivalent of the Consumer Guarantees Act (NZ)

If devices fail outside the warranty period, the Act (or it’s AU) equivalent may give you a remedy. See for example the definition of acceptable quality. Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 No 91 (as at 29 October 2019), Public Act 7 Meaning of acceptable quality – New Zealand Legislation

The Lenovo Tuya based ones I have are still going strong after 3-4 years now and I am still testing that non certified zigbee one to see how long it lasts (no issues so far… knocks on wood), I am looking at this v2 plug at somepoint just to try one out and see how it does

^Just trying this out now - discovered beautifully and works fine ZHA

BTW the Oz Zigbee Plug V2 is certified - I clarified with the supplier, and got the certificate. What’s interesting is it’s a Tuya (dressed in disguise) …and the plot thickens… hold on a sec and I will clarify

Ok so before I pull out all my Tuya smart GPO plugs (which apparently are not certified) and replace them all with Ozsmartthings V2 (which are)… I have “found out”… they are both in fact Tuya (both discovered in HA as Model TS0011F) So how does that give? How can a Tuya Model TS0011F badged as an Ozsmarthings be certified, but one badged as something else not be ok? Is it related to the casing? (see pics - Larger round OST, smaller “Tuya”) Or the amp rating (10A OST vs 16A “Tuya”) Admittedly the OZsmart Things V2 now available (as seen 3 posts above^)…is in a much larger “case” and only rated 10A, were as the Non smartthings (appeared on the market like 3 yrs earlier…but can still be purchased on the likes of ebay etc ) “Tuya”…(and other non specific brands) smart GPO’s… Is that what the certification comes down to? The size/robustness of the casing? Because they clearly have the exact same electronics… proved by the HA Zigbee discovery …Clarification on this would be appreciated before I rip all the older (smaller cased actually Tuya labelled ones) out and change all the logic etc…

Thanks

Toms link was to my previous post. I’ve got a couple of those 12V in-ceiling mmWave sensors that have been great for maybe close to a year now.

1 Like

Using Zigbee2mqtt?

Device definitions are often built using existing converters if they support the same features.

Yeah we do. eg: a fridge might come with a 2 year warranty but should last 10 years so we can go to the seller and get it replaced under the ruling.

Using ZHA. But I’d reckon the certification (why the “older”…smaller one remains non certified) will all be about the 16A rating? In such a small case?? I don;t know. I’m not an electrician or electrical standards officer, or engineer. Just an average punter trying to do HA but do the right thing :grinning: Hopefully @sparkydave can tell me why one is now certified - whereas the other remains non certified. Cheers

I tried that when the Kogan plugs started failing just out of warranty. All I got was the sound of :cricket:

Same chip and firmware, but probably different physical characteristics, eg air gaps, layout of components.

The chip/firmware has nothing to do with those physical things that contribute to electrical safety.

1 Like

^ Cool. That’s what I figured. At least Ozsmartthings took the time to provide me (the customer) with the relevant certification documents. I don’t mind paying proper RRP (obviously double the price) for an outif that goes to the trouble and provides this sort of customer service. I recommend Oz SmartT. I just wanted to clarify before pulling the older ones out of my project - cause it’s going to be a right PITA (reprogramming HA wise)… They have been rock solid for 2 years now… At least having the same chip assures all they will be discovered real easy and on the chip side they are very robust within HA and a ZHA stack. Cheers

Then again the other device might be electrically ok, but no one has bothered with certification.

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s a case of the company sending test units away and paying for the service. They may well be the exactly same device internally, just one will have been tested to our standards.

1 Like

Well sure. I asked the ebay store supplier about that… anyway… that’s a whole other story. I won;t throw them out (quite yet)…until that situation will change. Just unplug and remove out of the project. It’s why these sort of GPO “plugs” are so useful. Don;t need to wait like 2 months for an electrician to do it. :slightly_smiling_face:Cheers

Thanks for the clarification dave. You’ve been awesome the whole way on this…I’ll take them out. Cheers

No worries.

Crazy fact: The testing system in Australia is far better than many other countries. For example, the Hazardous Area equipment I used to work with (for use in oil & gas refineries, ie: explosion proof) in Australia is tested by a certified third party, however in the USA the manufacturer does their own in-house testing. In many cases the gear ‘certified’ in the USA doesn’t comply with our requirements.

3 Likes

I may have to just stick to these then just for the stock levels if they are constantly in stock when I start swapping out from my Lenovo plugs, form factor is what I also like about these.

Just need to get off that cloud reliant plug setup is main goal here and moving everything I can to zigbee heh.

1 Like

Same Same my Daikin also works like a charm. The only issue I have are minor, they do not drop the AP after connecting to my WiFi. Something called the ‘streamer’ can be turned on - then turns off immediately. With seven units some of the sensors I find inconsistent and it’s internal temp sensor is impacted by it’s own operation.

1 Like