Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Sure I get all that - doesn’t make it right though…the Eu uses the same power right? So what is standards Australia saying? that the EU’s standards aren’t good enough? This is a farce. Particularly if rules and regulations thwart business and the roll out of new competition and technology. Which is clearly the example here. It totally sucks… all of it… Just MO

Serious question. Are there any household insurance policies that have exemptions in them (if you notify the insurer) when using non compliant electrical equipment in your house?

Many, many years ago I used to work as a lowly clerk for an insurance company. Most people don’t realise that many insurance companies will tailor policies specifically for your needs. Just be prepared to pay a premium premium.

2 Likes

Plug failed yesterday.

Dead, dropped off the Zigbee network, the on/off switch does nothing, the reset button does nothing. It does still pass power through however.

I was not using it for any switching, just power/energy monitoring in a regular GPO.

Disappointing for $50. I’ve written to OzSmartThings about it, as this would seem to be a failure worthy of a warranty claim.

1 Like

Oh FFS. Are there no reliable smart plugs?

3 Likes

Have you guys discussed KASA and now TAPO switches? Mine have lasted for three years and it’s still going strong

KASA are Tuya aren’t they? That’s a no go for me out of the box.

As for TAPO I’m trying to avoid adding to a stressed Wi-Fi network.

I don’t think they’re Tuya, well they have their own HA integration. And Tapo is via a HACS integration.

I’ve had 4 Kasa KP115 plugs for about 15 months now - initially set up through the Kasa app and then added to HA using the built-in integration.
One failed last week and I am going to find out if TP-Link is replacing it through warranty. They haven’t been available in retail for several months.

Today I received a new Tapo P110M. I set it up through the Tapo app which now also supports the Kasa plugs and easily adopted my remaining KP115s.
The P110M supports Matter, but until I figure out how that best works in my environment, I am using the Tapo Controller integration via HACS.

They all have 12 month warranties and fail just outside that (15 in your case), so no, they are not likely to replace it.

I was hoping that the zigbee smart plugs would last a lot longer as they run heaps cooler (room temperature) than any wifi smart plug I’ve tried (all are warm to hot to touch).

If I’m reading the forum post dates correctly, that would be inside the 12 month warranty (4 months?) so you should be good for a replacement and hopefully this is just a one-off manufacturing fault.

According to their website the KP115 falls under “Smart Power” and comes with 2 years warranty. I’ll call them after the holidays and see how it goes.

1 Like

There are a flood of new in-ceiling mount (like small downlight) mmWave zigbee presence sensors on aliexpress. They’re mains powered, I’ve just seen this new series with built-in relays (e.g. light/fan), and they’re small and fairly discreet. 5/24/60G (I think 60) versions etc.

It has a high acceptance factor, and while they’re not perfect (my 3d printer triggers my existing usb-powered one) they do work super-well to answer the “is the space occupied” question with a permanent install/no batteries. It’d need yet-another-circuit in my ceilings, but I also want to move to wired smoke detectors so doing both at the same time would make sense (even if it needed different wires? I don’t know the regs, that’s why I’d hire a sparky).

Has anyone seen an Aussie certified version of one of these yet?

No, and I doubt they ever will be after opening one of the Tuya zigbee 5Gz devices up. The creepage distances are insufficient.

There are 12V versions available that you could power from a certified plug pack.

1 Like

Is this still an issue ? How annoying

Will you able to get these to work completely in Home assistant?

ah perfect, thanks for that. I’ll go find some reviews etc. I definitely want longevity and safety, and 12v close to them implies 240v close ish to them which future proofs nicely.

In the market for a new split system air conditioner and I’d like to avoid the usual “buy something then figure out how to get into HA”.

Is there a view on what’s easiest to connect to HA in late ‘23/early ‘24? Almost all of my home so far is locally controlled, so if at all possible I’d like to keep it that way.

Suspect I’ll have to go down the Broadlinl
IR/RF blaster approach for some fans, but would prefer to have something easier if possible.

Thanks!

You can do way better than that.

e.g. my Daikin Zena works out of the box with the core Daikin integration over wifi. All the modes, pre-sets, fan swing, everything. All local, no cloud.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. In the absence of anything else, looks as if I’ve found the right option! :ok_hand:

I started doing this one (still have all the bits) but we got ducted (e-zone) before I finished.