Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

any luck with the brilliant smart fan remote, I got a light connected and verified it worked using the remote control but not sure what to use to simulate the fan for testing purposes before I go ahead and flash it.

Mine only just got delivered today and are waiting at my doorstep. I won’t get to look at them until the weekend though. I’ll definitely post back here with my findings once I get stuck into it.

EDIT: do you not have a fan to plug it into? The plugs on it should fit any existing fan if it isn’t too old. Most fans these days have a standardised plug. If not, you could use an incandescent / halogen light globe. The lower fan speed settings should dim the light, full speed giving full brightness

I managed to get the switches to work, as well as the dimmer.

Although the led light im using with the dimmer just flickers pretty crazy (says it supports dimming but was the cheapest test one I could find), so not sure whats going on there, it does dim ever so slightly in between flickers.

If you only have one LED on the dimmer, it may not be enough load for it. Try running a few on together and see if you still get the flickering. You can get dummy loads to fix the issue if you only need one LED on the dimmer.

I figured it out.

Turned out I needed to tune the dimmer range

DimmerRange 160 250

seems to get it pretty good, it wont go all the way down to nothing but I assume thats more a function of the cheap light im using, also tested it with a hot glue gun connected that takes ~20W of power (along with the 6W of the bulb) and no real difference.

Do you have the full Tasmota config for it? That would be super handy.

Also, did it connect to your existing fan easily enough, no mods needed?

That was only for the inline dimmer

So far all of these Brilliant devices use another MCU and just communicate to the esp8266 via uart, see my post here for the basics of setting them up.

For the dimmer it just requires you to type in
TuyaMCU 21,2
into the console to enable the dimming functionality and the the DimmerRange command I specified above.

I have jerry rigged up the fan controller just with a light at this point and cutting the supplied connectors (I have a feeling these are only on brilliant fans anyway) , I havent flashed it yet but from looking at it I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to get tasmota on it. Config wise it could be interesting, not sure exactly how the fan buttons will work looking at the available options in the TuyaMCU documentation.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel. I would not have figured that out. I haven’t come across one of these TuyaMCU based devices before. I was just about to sit down and try to figure out the pin assignments for the wall switch when I saw your post.

Tasmota still seemed to think the dimmer function was enabled, so I disabled it using the command TuyaMCU 21,0

Do you know if these switches actually have dimming functionality?

No they dont.

The only time I saw that dimming functionality enabled was when I originally selected Module 54 when on the older firmware 6.6.0.7 (i think) when the module was specifically for ‘Tuya Dimmer Switch’ and then upgraded to the newer firmware where they changed it to TuyaMCU but it kept the dimming setting.

If you start directly from the newer firmware it should just enable a single toggle for the light.

Hi @Count.Zilch - also have a couple of these I’ve been really keen to get flashed. Tried both original and 2.0 Tuya Convert with no luck. In the smarthack-web log I see this message

WARNING: it appears this device does not use an ESP82xx and therefore cannot install ESP based firmware
Might be a no-go :frowning_face:

Thanks @danps. Damn. I would have assumed they were at least an ESP32. Seems weird that they would have gone for a totally different chipset for just these lights. Can someone who has got one apart eyeball it for us? @IamDan ?

I had to use DimmerRange 30,900 to get the full range from the Brilliant Smart Jupiter dimmer. It seems the programmable range is 0-1000

what number/types of lights and wattage were they?

Awesome thread!

Has anyone managed to flash the Brilliant LED bulbs from Bunnings with tuya-convert? I have the tunable white bulb and I just get the “
” across the screen for as long as I leave it (using the latest version of tuya-convert). Logs show no errors, but no connection to the bulb either. Hoping someone else has got it working.

6x 12w Pierlite Starburst LEDs

For anyone interested in the “Brilliant Smart Jupiter Dimmer” - it is relatively easy to flash with Tasmota and has full functionality using the TuyaMCU module (serial interface to the Tuya standalone MCU). I’ve found its easier to just desolder the ESP8266 board from the main board and flash it that way rather than trying to do Tuya Convert; just make sure you have a good solder sucker or some good wick to get rid of all the solder from the pads or they will pull off the board.

You’ll need to use a Tasmota version > 6.6.0.18 and use the “TuyaMCU” module, then you’ll need to use the console to set the dimming mode and dpid - “TuyaMCU 21,2”, once it reboots you can set the Dimming Range (this will be load dependant) - in my case I have 6x 12w Pierlite LEDs and “DimmerRange 30,900” worked for me to get the full range.

To enable HASS MQTT integration, just setup your MQTT server details, then go to the console and enter “SetOption 19 1” and HASS should auto-discover the device and you’re good to go!

2 Likes

Brilliant Smart Jupiter Dimmer

Okay, that’s exactly what I’d done. So that probably explains why it was still enabled. Thanks.

presumably the smart control is on, or off rather than change sequence, or brightness?

(i had this using a sonof years ago)

FWIW I flashed mine using TuyaConvert fairly effortlessly.

Took me longer to power the thing that to actually do the conversion.