Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Ah they look just like the others they’re probably good to go :slight_smile: appreciate the heads up thank you

oooh! four gang tuya light switches.

(now comes the question of how to wire 2 and 3 way switches)

I wouldn’t use wiring. Do it with automation.

1 Like

Are they certified, seems a few popping up of late all under different brands with a mixture of certs but they all look identical

I’m not an expert in assessing this, but at least they’re advertising the certification on the product pages (“Australian Certification GMA-504359-EA”), and published the certificates here: Certificates - S.R.L. TECHNOLOGY.

I am planning on converting a bunch of these Kogan Gen 2 USB Smart plugs to ESPHome. Some really dumb questions about these:

1. Do I need to tuya-convert first?
  2. Can I do OTA for these first?
  3. Can you please share your full config as I have no ESPHome devices so will be setting these up from scratch?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Hi Ben

Yes you will need to use tuya-convert first but you can load your esphome .bin files during that process.

Here is my esphome config for the Gen 2 Kogan Smart Plugs;

substitutions:
  devicename: kogan_pow2_01be
  upper_devicename: Kogan POW2 01BE
  hotspot: Kogan POW2 01BE WiFi
  password: !secret psk
#  static_ip: 10.0.1.XX

# Higher value gives lower watt readout
  current_res: '0.00087'
  # Lower value gives lower voltage readout
  voltage_div: '775'

esphome:
  name: $devicename
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp8285

wifi:
  ssid: !secret ssid
  password: !secret psk

#  manual_ip:
#    static_ip: $static_ip
#    gateway: 10.0.1.1
#    subnet: 255.255.255.0

ap:
    ssid: $hotspot
    password: $password

captive_portal:

web_server:
  port: 80

logger:

api:
  password: !secret api_pwd

ota:
  password: !secret api_pwd

text_sensor:
  - platform: wifi_info
    ip_address:
      name: $upper_devicename IP Address

binary_sensor:
  - platform: status
    name: $upper_devicename Status

- platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: 03
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    name: $upper_devicename Button
    on_press:
      - switch.toggle: relay

switch:
  name: $upper_devicename
  pin: GPIO14
  restore_mode: ALWAYS_OFF
  id: relay

on_turn_on:
    - switch.turn_on: led

on_turn_off:
    - switch.turn_off: led

name: $upper_devicename LED
  id: led
  pin: GPIO13

time:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: homeassistant_time

sensor:
  - platform: hlw8012
    sel_pin:
      number: GPIO12
    cf_pin: GPIO04
    cf1_pin: GPIO05
    current_resistor: $current_res
    voltage_divider: $voltage_div
    current:
      name: $upper_devicename Amperage
      unit_of_measurement: A
    voltage:
      name: $upper_devicename Voltage
      unit_of_measurement: V
    power:
      name: $upper_devicename Wattage
      unit_of_measurement: W
      id: wattage
    change_mode_every: 8
    update_interval: 10s

- platform: total_daily_energy
    name: $upper_devicename Total Daily Energy
    power_id: wattage
    filters:
        # Multiplication factor from W to kW is 0.001
        - multiply: 0.001
    unit_of_measurement: kWh

- platform: uptime
    name: $upper_devicename Uptime Sensor
2 Likes

Thanks Brad, much appreciated. I don’t have a Linux device, is there another way to use tuya-convert apart from opening the device itself?

Except I want the switches to be functional too…

I have one light, with 3 separate switches - at least these are all on a single gang set up.

I have one 4 gang switch which shares each of 3 lights with another gang.

My other issue is no-one seems to be keeping consistent with the glass panels - I have this everywhere else https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H4780d868deb5400e897334c1bab3368bt/US-standard-TUYA-WiFi-Smart-Switch-1-2-3-Gang-Wireless-Wall-Light-Touch-Switches-with.jpg although the srltech looks similar…

tuya-convert will run in docker, but whether it will run in docker on an OS other than linux I don’t know.

Docker on non-Linux hosts won’t be able to SoftAP the Wi-Fi adapter. It might be possible to do some steps manually with a bridged network but that sounds painful to me.

When I wanted to flash a few devices I ended up using a Kali Linux image for VMware on my MacBook Pro with a RTL8192 USB Wi-Fi adapter in USB pass-through mode to the VM.

Anyone running the SRLTech stuff and can provide any feedback?

Got the fan controllers, as others have said they are quite loud at certain speeds, for the fan I have there is only one usable speed that doesn’t make a buzzing sound

Personally I would get a Raspberry Pi to run tuya-convert rather than opening plugs up, it makes the process really easy and looking at the plugs I think you would do a fair amount of damage opening them.

3 Likes

100% agree with this. i bought a rpi0w for next to nothing a while back and use it (via OTG Mode) to flash everything OTA.

waiting to do the next set… when they eventually get delivered by Aus Snail Post.

1 Like

You could probably install tuya-convert on a persistent linux DVD or usb drive (i.e a live image).
Boot a PC off the DVD/USB and then install and run tuya-convert.
I’d go with a usb and ubuntu if you don’t know which linux to choose. Make sure you can boot from the usb.

Investigating the idea of getting solar, specifically before the end of the financial year. Has anyone got any specific products to recommend, something that you’ve been able to integrate into your smart home?
I note there is a Fronius integration which I hope would work with the inverters I see listed on various sites.

In addition, any specific installers people have dealt with and recommend? (in Melbourne)

An alternate to trying to get a solar system that is integrated into HA is to use a power monitoring system that does.
I use the IoTaWatt system and I get details of power usage on many different circuits in the house. You can do up to 10 ct clamps with IoTaWatt. All the information is pushed to influxdb and I draw the info from there into HA.

In my system I track the following

• solar generation
  • grid in/out
  • ac
  • stove
  • lights
  • plugs

With the IoTaWatt you get current with direction, power and power factor. With that info you can start to work out a lot of what is going on in the home. For instance I can tell if the bathroom fans are being used by looking the the change in power draw and the power factor change. I also do a check to see if there are any dumb lights on after I run my goodnight script.

I also use Grafana to display info as it is very powerful and easy to setup with HA addons.

1 Like

Thanks mate, appreciate the reply.
In contacting a few installers for quotes I’ve also made it clear I want power monitoring so it’ll be interesting to see what they come with - IoTaWatt may be one of them.

Hi all,

I have an Aeotec Z-Stick and many Aeotec dual nano switches.

Toggling light via wall switch has a delay of ~4 secs back to HA.
I spun up Zwave2Mqtt and it still had the large delay.

I have tried ALL sorts of settings for the nano switches. ZWave graph shows really good ping times. No security. Switching from HA is blazing fast. At my wits end.
Both 2.02 and 2.01 firmware, 3 to 4 seconds.

Does anyone else have these Aeotec switches?

Thanks