Australian Animated Radar using BOM Public FTP

Lovelace :slight_smile: with custom card-modder. I haven’t updated the repo to include this card when I get home ill do it so you can see how to implement it.

1 Like

Hmm thanks - looks more wife friendly than standard Lovelace :laughing:

updated lovelace config so you can see bom card amoung others aswell as fixes required for 0.84.6

Is there any possibility you can increase the timeout on the image loading?

Lately the time it takes to load the GIF has increased, and enough that 50% of the time I get a broken image instead of the GIF. When I open the URL its trying to load in a web browser, it always works, but can take upwards of 10 seconds to load.

1 Like

I don’t have a HA instance running at the moment, so I can’t test this, but try updating line 79 like below. There is every chance that this will completely break it :slight_smile:
ftp = ftplib.FTP(‘ftp.bom.gov.au’)
To:
ftp = ftplib.FTP(‘ftp.bom.gov.au’, timeout=60)

1 Like

So far so good. I get a flash of the broken image, but then within the next 3 seconds, it is refreshed and the radar image appears.

I’m new to Hassio and I can’t quite figure out how to get the radar image to show… The logo is correct and when I click into the card I get the animated radar images.

Here is what I see:

Here is my configuration.yaml:
camera:
- platform: ‘bom_radar’
name: “geelong_radar”
product_id: ‘IDR023’

Here is my lovelace-ui.yaml:

• entities:
    • entity: camera.geelong_radar
      show_header_toggle: false
      title: Radar
      type: entities

I think I’ve read the documentation 3 or 4 times now.
Any obvious things I’m doing wrong?

- type: vertical-stack
        cards:
          - type: picture-entity
            title: BOM Radar Sydney
            entity: camera.bom_radar_sydney
            tap_action:
              action: more-info
            hold_action:
              action: more-info

I have mine set up like this in lovelace:

- type: picture-entity
    title: Perth Radar
    show_info: false
    show_name: false
    show_state: false
    camera_image: camera.perth_rain_radar
    entity: camera.perth_rain_radar
    tap_action: dialog

looks like this (just the radar part obviously):

1 Like

Any reason why you have a single card in a vertical stack David?

Nice background image sparkydave. Lovelace really is making some pretty UIs possible.

I don’t… it’s just to show some context… I have 3 cards in that stack and the fire warning card as well.

1 Like

Thanks @DavidFW1960 - Now working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @sparkydave - I tried something close to this configuration but got a bit lost when trying to link to the camera image… I was providing the folder path to the image with the token, it didnt seem like it was the right direction.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Kudos to you @tom_l … Seeing your year with home assistant post on Reddit really inspired me to get on with my home automation projects. Your setup has given me lots of ideas :slight_smile:
:beers:

Thanks J85. After perusing the card-modder thread I think I have to lift my interface design more than a bit.

Starting with @sparkydave, how did you do that weather forecast card?

It’s M.P.Frankland’s Darksky Weather Card. https://github.com/iammexx/home-assistant-config/tree/master/ui/darksky

So it’s using darksky not BoM data?

Not sure… some people use the FTP BOM sensor as well as the regular one and have replaced the darksky components. @jimpower I think has done that. I find that DarkSky and BOM don’t have any practical difference so I just use darksky as well as some BOM stuff but I have not bothered changing that animated card.

Last I checked (quite a few months ago) I wasn’t happy with Darksky’s forecasts for my location.

Yeah people say that but I have both side-by-side and there’s no discernible difference in accuracy to me. I find 90% of the time BOM sucks anyway…