Hello again fellow Australians.
I have been busy at work trying to bring you an animated rain radar courtesy of BoM. The problem with BoMs radar is that they don’t offer a simple, animated GIF that you can simply pull off the web. Instead they offer layered transparencies, that you have to string together yourself to get a meaningful radar.
This makes things a bit tricky and requires a bit of image manipulation. This is where I have come in with a custom component!
Create the folders in your /config directory, “custom_components/camera” and then drop my file, “bom_radar.py” into that folder.
Create a camera in your configuration.yaml file similar to below:
camera: - platform: 'bom_radar' name: "test_camera" product_id: 'IDR023'
To get the Product ID for your preferred radar:
- Go to this website and search for “Local Scale Radar Image VIC” or “Local Scale Radar Image QLD" for example.
- The Product ID for your radar will be in the left most column, and will look like “IDR023”
- I personally prefer the 128km x 128km radar resolution.
- product_id ( Required ): The Product ID string as identified from the BOM website.
- name ( Optional ): The name you would like to give to the radar.
Hope you all enjoy and please let me know if there are any bugs or feature requests! Cheers.