Australian BOM Rain Radar Card

Sorry, I’ve lost track, what’s a pain?

the changes from paper to mwc.

Yes they did. Input_selects all went to shit. I got a solution for that from the card-mod thread though. I wish there was an example of the frontend where they showed all the variables used for a theme as inspecting an element is pretty hit and miss and downright voodoo 90% of the time if you stumble across something to get it right. My other favorite is deprecating some function that breaks integrations where there is no alternate available…

Oh right. There was a github post here that may help:

Yeah. I just wish they would publish the standard built in themes so there was a reference to everything that can be changed.

I thought you meant for your card. If it’s just fixing themes, I posted the new variables in the release notes topic.

Fixing my card is a real pain as well since there are so many checkboxes and text fields etc. Got most of it done but the checkboxes are being a pain. I can’t figure out how to get the change notify to work. The way it is in the boilerplate certainly doesn’t do the job.

Doesn’t 100% help unless you have some kind of index showing diagramatically exactly where x variable applies

They all don’t map 1:1. But the ones i used:

paper-listbox-color ---> input-ink-color
  paper-listbox-background-color  ---> input-fill-color

Extras text colours you may need to define:
  input-label-ink-color
  input-disabled-ink-color

I made this same comment years ago when I first started with HA…

1 Like

V1.5.0 has been released.
Fixes the configuration editor that was broken by HA 2022.3.

This was quite a big update so let me know if I have screwed anything up.

So I tried adding all those in my theme file and it seems to be ignoring them. I use a dark them so I really need to change input-fill-color so I don’t have ugly white boxes. II even tried setting it to red to confirm and nothing changes. I have restarted ha, hard refreshed browser so no idea what I am doing wrong now.

The card forgot the show square setting, or now requires it, I’m not sure which. Changing this setting in the iOS app on my iPad caused strange flickering and the card save button disappeared off screen and the preview box was cut off.

Changing it on my desktop PC (Firefox) worked as expected.

This is what I ended up with for my dark theme:

input-ink-color: 'var(--primary-text-color)'
  input-label-ink-color: 'var(--secondary-text-color)'
  input-disabled-ink-color: 'var(--secondary-text-color)'
  input-fill-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0) # background
  input-dropdown-icon-color: 'var(--primary-text-color)'
  input-idle-line-color: 'var(--secondary-text-color)'
  input-hover-line-color: 'var(--primary-text-color)'

But I use a gradient background in a card-mod class for the card so the input-fill-color may need adjustment for your theme.

background: linear-gradient(rgba(57, 103, 158, 1), rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6) 56px, rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6) 100%)

(input select at the bottom of the card)
Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 07-46-51 Overview – Home Assistant

1 Like

Let me check that control. Nothing in the actual display code was changed though, just the config editor.

I can’t see anything obviously wrong with the square_map setting. The default is still false if the setting isn’t defined which is the same as before.

Ok, so that worked. You background is set to be totally transparent (the a value being 0), so it just shows what’s behind it which is mostly ok for me. I have asked Zack on discord for the values used in the default dark theme. All I ever changed on mine was the card background to use the same colour as grafana since that can’t be changed.

1 Like

I am thinking about changing the source of radar data as I have found a website the publishes an api that has some advantages over the bom stuff (they actually use bom data, but do stuff better).

1. They publish 5 minute updates.
  2. The images seem to be published within 60 seconds of each 5 minute interval.

This means that the most recent radar image will be somewhere between 1-6 minutes ago, whereas using the bom sourced images result in them being 10-20 minutes old. I personally see this as a good thing. The one drawback is that the colour scheme for rain intensity is different (they have 8 choices though).
If you want to have a look at how it looks go to https://www.rainviewer.com/weather-radar-map-live.html and have a look. The colour schemes can be picked under settings (although there is one missing).

Let me know what you think if you have an opinion. I have already tested some stuff locally so I know it will work. It also doesn’t seem to suffer from the missing tiles that the bom stuff does at times.

I will probably put a beta together in the next couple of days for people to have a look at in HA.

A sample of my preferred colour scheme using this data set.

Cheers
Simon

1 Like

Looks and sounds pretty good to me. :+1:

The colours are fine by me.

It is a Ukrainian project though. While they almost certainly use overseas servers they may not have the most reliable support due to the current situation.