Auto update addons

Probably suggested before, but would nice to have an auto update feature for installed addons, or be able to select multiple addons to be updated (as an option).

Currently, we have to manually update each addon individual, this can overwhelming with the more you have installed. With auto update, the process could backup each addon if anything was to go wrong.

Que?

As far as i know this option is already available for all addons?

I was mainly referring to the new Settings page where you are able to update HA/plugins. The current method (your screenshot), you have to manually toggle that option on for each plugin, which isn’t really convenient.

You do have the option. Every add-on that I’m aware of has that toggle option. Toggle it on and forget about it. Not sure how that’s not convenient. Personally speaking, I prefer to keep auto updates off as I want to know if there’s any breaking changes prior to having the add on update. I don’t know what your specific use case is, but I think most people would agree that having to manually rollback to a back up would be more inconvenient than manually flicking a toggle.

2 Likes

Unless you can provide a reason as to why not, I’m going to close this as already available.

There is an option to batch auto update here?

Your request was twofold, (1) automatic updates (2) batching updates

Is (1) not enough?

Considering, that updates often bring breaking changes, cannot imagine that someone can even think about automatic updates, not speaking about this feature being enabled by default.

1 Like

What I can sort of imagine is no auto updates, so you can wait until a time that you have time to fix any problems, and then an update all button. But personally I like to click into the changelist first to see if the update is useful and/or contains tricky things.

2 Likes

That’s why in my original post I’ve said one or the other…

Probably suggested before, but would nice to have an auto update feature for installed addons, or be able to select multiple addons to be updated (as an option).

If that was the case maybe remove the ‘Auto-update’ toggle for each addon then? I’m not asking for it to be a default option, just an ‘option’ for those who want it, which takes an auto backup as well, as mentioned in op.

That sounds like a plausible idea, and as yourself, I like reading changlogs before updating as well, but, as you say, you can always read the changelog first, then click the ‘update all’ button manually.

Is this really a discussion ?

Unless you have 100+ addons running, I don’t think this i a real issue…
I really don’t mind setting them one by one…
Some I do have on auto, some I don’t.
And once set it is forget (which I kindah regret, as there where some issues with Node-Red recently)
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I’m surprised that these were the responses to a requested feature such as this. There are those of us that prefer a balance of risk-to-safety:

• (Fully manual procedure) Go into each update and manually click each addon, potentially leaving the default of creating a backup before update, as selected. This is a complete and utter waste of time, particularly if one is a mandatory Home Assistant component requiring a restart. Having to wait for each to complete almost feels like punishment. There’s no good reason the system cannot manage this better itself.

• (Fully automatic procedure) Allow each addon to receive updates automatically at certain, scheduled times. This procedure, on the other hand, is the highest risk. Addons are updated, regardless of immediate need; regardless of the admin’s (you) judgment on how new dependencies may complicate the addon (or other addons), or change the behavior, etc; and regardless of backing up the system automatically too.

There’s no good reason to create a backup before each individual update. Making ONE backup before updating ALL of them is ideal. And right now, from what I can tell, a backup is not created when updating anything when the, “Auto-Update” option is selected in each addon. Even if it did, and it created more than one backup, it would be even more of a waste.

Take, for example, the Google Play Store… You can turn off automatic updates for all of your apps; however, when you manually go into the, “Manage Apps” screen, it still provides you option to, “Update All.” I prefer this as it allows me to avoid the risk of apps breaking themselves, the system, or introducing anti-features. A similar feature for Home Assistant would be even more valuable.

Smart organizations do this too. For example, most organizations will screen Windows updates before allowing them to be deployed internally. Machines in the organization are configured to receive their system updates from the internal Windows update service, thus providing a key balance between risk and safety.

Let’s try to live a more balanced life… There are enough out there that only see things from one extreme or the other. Often – just like in nature – a balance is the most healthy solution. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have disabled auto-update in all the add-ons I’m using and then used an automation to manage the updates at a specific time, with option to backup the system prior to the update.

This is the automation I’m using:

2 Likes

I think it pays to read the changelogs, some of them are important, and there is no way to go back.

1 Like

I also believe it is very important to read the change logs and avoid surprises, but I know most people just don’t do that (and we can find many reasons for that), so the discussion become to the “stay with old version” vs “update”… And this is an endless discussion.

1 Like

If anyone is coming here for the “batch update of all addons” needed by this use case:

“I want a stable system so I disabled auto-update on all addons but when I decide it I want to updates all addons”

here is an useful command I hope is self explainatory:

for i in $(ha addons | grep slug | cut -d':' -f2); do echo $i; ha addons update $i; done

4 Likes

I can see add-ons are still notifying to apply the latest updates even though the Auto update feature is toggled on them. Is there any explanation for that?

That is from Home Assistant side. I don’t know how those add-ons update automatically, if it is in a specific time or so, but for some time their update.xxxxx entities will be indicating that an update is available.
I have auto-update disable in all the add-ons, anyways, so I use the Blueprint I’ve mentioned earlier (here) to run all the updates (including add-ons) while I’m sleeping.