Automation Scheduler (useful? ...practical? ...possible?)

Really just a half-formed idea that… it could be a pretty powerful approach to scheduling… I just don’t know if it would be practical or possible within the constraints of how the interface would then have to write out the rules… I seem to feel the intuition that it wouldn’t be a super simple thing to accomplish. uTorrent is the only thing I have at hand that presents a UI exmaple to show what I have in mind…

for the purposes of brainstorming… imagine if this was for heating and cooling for a business… down below could be sections for defining what the automation rules are… ie: StateOne- Normal Operating, StateTwo- PreOccupation WarmUp/CoolDown, StateThree- Off/Manual control allowed, StateFour- System Disabled

…Thoughts, Opinions?

Capture007

I just use the caldav integration and schedule things on my regular calendar.

If I’m picturing it correctly, that’s a pretty creative workaround for what I’m trying to… accomplish, I guess… (I guess at my word choice, not the creativity of your solution)

I’m sure a separate ‘home automation’ calendar could be created to for if I didn’t want a string of HA events on my day-to-day calendar, but one of the things that attracts me to HASS is the ‘local-cenric’ stance since I intend for a future build to be someplace with no, or possibly very limited internet connectivity…

There is a scheduler (that runs locally) currently available and it’s called Schedy. It’s powerful but doesn’t have a Lovelace UI (it’s configured using YAML).
https://hass-apps.readthedocs.io/en/stable/apps/schedy/index.html

I remember seeing a Pull Request on GitHub for a a general-purpose scheduler but it was never incorporated into Home Assistant (and I can no longer find the PR).

I saw that but got the general feel that it wasn’t really being maintained all that actively (the OP of the thread you linked was referencing it’s imminent arrival but hadn’t been updated to reflect whether it had reached release status and the first link in the 'other posts (to the docs) came back as not having had any content yet…)

Hi,

As the author of Schedy, I’mm wondering how you came to that conclusion. The commit history on GitHub shows 555 commits, and the docs include a Changelog as well. That some of the documentation links you found in the mentioned thread are now dead is true, but that’s because the content structure has been worked on quite actively and most of these links point to the development version of the docs.

1 Like

Ah, and it has been announced to be stable back in December, also in the thread mentioned.

As I mentioned… the top post of the thread that was linked… essentially announcing the intention to end Heaty and bring forth Schedy in it’s place. No edits or replies to the post announcing the change from ‘it’s being worked on’ to ‘it’s ready’. The one reply to that post is asking if it was ready two weeks later and it went unanswered.

Also: The links in your sig… Heaty is still there and hadn’t been replaced with Schedy.

As well: The Schedy docs link in the ‘Popular Links’ section being a dead link.

I probably should have checked to see what was up with more recent posts to the thread… but those were three pretty quick strikes from out of the gate. Mostly it was that I had already given Schedy a quick glance before I wrote my OP when I was doing a couple searches to see what there might already be out there.

FINALLY… It was kinda late-ish on a friday night. I was tired, it was a long week that I spent bored for the first three days and gave my physical all the last two. I should probably have been in bed at least an hour before all that.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I usually just answer to the thread as a whole and not to single posts… However, I now edited the top post.

Anyway, you are welcome to use Schedy. :slight_smile: Feel free to report issues you encounter on GitHub.

Well you can run a local CalDAV server which is what I do. I use my calendar for everything else and it’s on all my devices, so a pretty easy solution for me.

Using the caldav integration you can have it search your appointments and create a sensor for each based on regular expression

So I have it search my day-to-day calendar for things to react to (if dogwalker is scheduled, make sure to disarm alarm before they come by) and also have a separate ‘automation’ calendar that I use to more explicitly schedule stuff if I need to.

The other benefit of CalDAV is it is easy to share with anyone who can then modify it on their device/software of choice.

I looked at Schedy but it seemed way over complicated for my needs, I’m in a mild climate so my climate control consists of opening or closing the windows :slight_smile:

This would be super useful! I imagine how I’m adding temperature schedule editor for my six generic thermostats :smiley: