AWTRIX 3 - Blueprint for creating simple apps for dummies

Hi this looks really cool! Does anyone have time to give more of a walk through / step-by-step on how to set this up for the first time? Or know of any good info, blog, or youtube links?

I just read the readme file on github but I can’t piece together yet how this all comes together. I downloaded the axtrix-simple.yaml file and moved it to config/blueprints . I’ve added awtrix: to my conguration.yaml file.

I see that there is a custom_components /awtrix_notification/ folder on github. I also see the hacs.json file and .gitignore. Do I need to download those three or are they just for developers?

I saw somewhere the instruction on downloading this via HACS but I can’t find any Awtrix realated integrations in my HACS when I do use the search field in HACS.
So I tried using the blueprint just to see what happens but nothing does yet. My first project would be to turn simple helper sensor I made called sensor.day_of_week_long (that uses this template {{ now().strftime('%A') }} ) to display the current day of the week with in icon next to it (the sensor shows each day fully spelled out ( like Sunday , Monday, etc.) . I downloaded day of the week icons to match up with the text. I’m clearly lost :sweat_smile: though but would love to figure this out! Thanks!

The first step, to download this as archive (zip file)

so now you have homeassistant-custom_components-awtrix-main.zip in you download folder

let’s unpack.
from unpacked folder you should copy folder “custom_components” to “config/custom_components” your HASS.

for example here is my folder

now just restart HASS.

add awtrix tools via UI
http://homeassistant.local:8123/config/integrations/dashboard

right now let’s test

open http://homeassistant.local:8123/developer-tools/service
and key

service: awtrix.awtrix_mini_rtttl
data: 
 rtttl: two_short:d=4,o=5,b=100:16e6,16e6 

you should hear: “beep beep”

ok. at this point you succ install awtrix tool component.

let’s copy from unpacked folder awtrix-simple.yaml to HASS "/config/blueprints/automation/10der/awtrix-simple.yaml "

reload automations

now if you’re trying to add a new automation you should see a new blueprint

I hope this help you.

4 Likes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it’s for you, @mames13

1 Like

awtrix (18)

alias: New automation DEL ME
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: 10der/awtrix-simple.yaml
  input:
    entity: sensor.day_of_the_week_long
    awtrix_device:
      - c9678a92ae6e69605a8b90539f9e64d3
    app_icon: >-
      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
    app_name: awtrix_app_test
1 Like

I get the following error, executing your blueprint. Can you help me?

Error while executing automation automation.wetter_gross: Template rendered invalid service: awtrix.LED-Uhr_push_app_data

rename device without dash and restart HASS

I will fix a crazy naming devices :slight_smile:

Nope. Didnt solve it.

AWTRIX Temp extern: Repeat at step 4: If at step 2: Error executing script. Service not found for call_service at pos 1: Service awtrix.leduhr_push_app_data not found
AWTRIX Temp extern: Repeat at step 4: Error executing script. Service not found for if at pos 2: Service awtrix.leduhr_push_app_data not found
AWTRIX Temp extern: Error executing script. Service not found for repeat at pos 4: Service awtrix.leduhr_push_app_data not found

can you switch to http://homeassistant.local:8123/developer-tools/service
and key here:
awtrix

and double check here:
http://homeassistant.local:8123/config/integrations/dashboard

Hm i don‘t have a service called awtrix, nor do I have an integration.
But it’s working with other integrations like the BTC tracker. :confused:
Its all running with mqtt.

good like with mqtt, Sir.
in the header of this topic
based on Awtrix (clock) notification [Custom Component]

These are AWESOME Instructions!!! I get back home this weekend and I can’t wait to try it out!! From my memory (I’ll go back and look though), I didn’t see a download zip folder on GitHub. It is on the page that you sent me above? Thanks so much!! I will keep you updated!

Oh my gosh, yassssssssss! :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

1 Like

This so cool! So my new question is, is there a way to assign a unique icon for each day of the week that updates as the day changes? Kind of like how, in a weather clock, there is an individual icon displayed for each weather state (sunny, rainy) etc.? I have downloaded icons to represent each day in my week, individually, that I would like to use.
OR, ha, this feels harder to do :sweat_smile: :nerd_face: is there a way to use that updating icon of the stock Awtrix Time App that has the icon of a calendar and also the day of the month that updates (in black text by default? Time App calls them (CHCOL CBCOL and CTCOL) . I don’t yet know where the for the program for that automatically updating calendar icon is stored. Is it a a .py script somewhere? But it’s pretty cool!

1 Like

Let’s go to discord awtix topic.

1 Like

Omg i’m sorry!!!
Will try it later. Thank you!!!

1 Like

I figured out how to do the Day of Week display with the right icons using Blueprints. I will install your stuff this weekend though and give it a try!

1 Like

Feel free to ping me here Discord

Hi.
Lots of first times for me: flashing a TC001, adding an external repo, creating an automation.
Everything works thanks to your blueprints.

I’d like to use this to display the power usage of my home (taken from the power meter of the solar inverter). Using the entity directly works, it displays values such as “-530.02W” (when sending power to the grid) or “2304.34W” (when getting power from the grid).

Could it be possible to add some coloring to the display?
Green when sending power and red when getting it?

1 Like

yep.
Here is an example colour the current temp.

alias: NEW_HOME_TEMPERATURE
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: 10der/awtrix-simple.yaml
  input:
    app_name: awtrix_app_home
    entity: sensor.home_temperature
    suffix_text: °
    awtrix_device:
      - c9678a92ae6e69605a8b90539f9e64d3
    app_icon: "96"
    value_template: