Backup size of Whisper AddOn / language model

I have recently noticed, that my backup size increased drastically, since I installed Whisper (and Piper) as an AddOn (HA-OS).

After investigating I found out, that the language model will be saved in the backup as well. In my case this increases the size from around 300MB up to way over 1GB.

Is there any setting or something else, where I could leave the language model out of the backup?

I don’t think, a language model must be included in the backup. As far as my thinking goes, I could always re-download it, if necessary. I mean, sending 700MB in a backup doesn’t make sense to me, if I can easily download the model, if needed. :slight_smile:

Anybody any ideas on that? I don’t want to disable the backup of the AddOn completely.

I have this issue as well. The download is only like 50 meg or so so how come the backups got so big?

In my case the size fits, I’m using (read: experimenting with) the medium-int8 model, and the size is around 800MB as advertised…

What I’m after is to leave the language model(s) entirely out of the backup.

Have you checked for your installation, that Whisper is really the culprit? If you haven’t, make a full backup with no password set (important!), download it and extract it with 7Zip or whatever zip program you have. There you’ll see what folder in the backup takes the most space.

But I’m out of ideas, how to leave out specific things in a HA backup…

I’m using the Samba Backup addon, and have noticed also that the backup size drastically increased after changing the Whisper model.

In Samba Backup, there is an option to exclude addons, but that creates a partial backup instead of a full backup.

Anyone know if there’s a difference between those two? Or is it clear as day, just Whisper excluded?

Edit:

A little late, but you know… :smiley:

The language models aren’t included anymore in the backup of Whisper. So the backup size should be back to normal. Everything that is saved now, is configuration and other things you need to restore. The language model will be downloaded upon restore. :slight_smile:

I read your message yesterday, enabled full backups (I used to just exclude whisper), and last night’s backup increased by 750MB, so something seems off.

• Core 2024.4.3
  • Supervisor 2024.04.0
  • Operating System 12.2
  • Frontend 20240404.2

You’re right, there must be something off. I just checked my backups, and Whisper uses around 60MB with no language model.

This is from the Add-on documentation page:

Backups

Whisper model files can be quite large, so they are automatically excluded from backups. The models will be re-downloaded when the backup is restored.