Bali RSZ1 Z Wave blinds (aka Somfy, Graber, Spring Window fashions) failure after opening

Hello,

I’m migrating from Hubitat to Home Assistant and I have 3 Bali motorized z wave plus roller blinds in my master bedroom that are causing me trouble. I have the blinds powered via the supplied power supply (plug in transformer) rather than batteries.

I have automations set up to open them in the morning and close at dusk. One of the blinds in particular sometimes stops responding after opening. If I press the button on the blind a few times, it sometimes makes a “Pew!” sound and the light goes red. Another click or two and it will respond again. I have never found an explanation or documentation of this error noise, however. It is clearly generated by the blind controller though, not some mechanical issue.

This problem has been plaguing me for years, through SmartThings automation, Hubitat, and now HA. So it is likely related to the firmware or controller, but the other two blinds are pretty reliable. They are all on FW 11.3.

I have read some speculation that it is caused by the controller sending the command multiple times in succession which confuses the blind. Is there any way to test this theory?

I have also reached out to a friendly retailer to see if I can get updated firmware since Bali is not known for sharing firmware updates.

Has anybody else faced this issue and did you ever find a resolution?

I’d happily replace the motor if it would solve the problem but Bali does not sell replacements. Ebay has a few but they are used and expensive since I’m not in the US.