Beginners guide to Doorbird

I am a bit confused with setting up the doorbird integration:

I have installed the doorbird, set up the integration. It seem to work fine enough, but I am struggling with the events. As I understand it i can name the events what i want in the integration:

doorbird:
  devices:
    - host: 192.168.1.168
      events:
        - doorbell_1
        - rfid_card_scanned

I have added the events to the schedule in the Doorbird app. What i don’t understand is how i connect a http-event to a something happening in doorbird. For instance, how do I “connect” the “doorbell_1” http-call to someone actually pushing the doorbell?

So if you have the events setup right in the app, which it seems like you do since you said you setup the schedules, you use the event name in an automation. Look at the first automation that I have setup here and the doorbird configuration here. The event name format for the automation is doorbird_name_eventname. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help, but it doesn’t help my confusion unfortunately. I know how to set up automatons in general, I just don’t know how to connect a given action to a given event on the doorbird side. How do i get doorbird to fire the event “doorbell” in your example when the doorbell is pressed? The docs use different event names like "doorbell1 " and “somebody pressed the button”, so it seems like the event names themselves can be anything? So how do i connect a given event name to a given event in doorbird?

You are making that association in the DoorBird app when setting the schedule for the relevant action with the specific event name that you put in the configuration. Does that make sense?

Sorry, but not really. I make an event in HA, right, lets call it “ATWindsor_doorbirdevent”. I can then in the doorbird app choose “schedule”, and then “http calls”, and then choose "Home Assistant (doorbird_ATWindsor_doorbirdevent) and fill the schedule. That is fine, but how do i set what triggers the event? How do i get the doorbird app to trigger that event if somebody pusheds the doorbell, or motion is detected, or a relay is opend, and so on?

It’s all about what event you choose for the action. When setting the schedule, you choose what HA event to trigger. For each schedule (relay, motion, doorbell) you should choose a different event. Watch this video, that may help. https://youtu.be/qvArypxxPkc

The doorbell will trigger the event in any case and send the call. That’s what you do in the app.

If you check your logs in HA you’ll see that the event will appear there.

Thank you very much, that explained it for me, now i understand how the different HTTP-calls are connected to different doorbird events on the doorbird-side.

1 Like

Glad that did it!

I’ll add this question in here instead of starting something new. Thanks for the above BTW, helping me get started as I’m new to HA and Doorbird.

So I added a card in Lovelace for the Doorbird Camera.

What is the slider for on the right above “Idle” It doesn’t appear to do anything when switched (other than turn blue).

Thanks,
'Fork

Hey I’m currently working on setting up my Doorbird. I have the switches and camera working, but when I add “events:” with any follow up to my config, the DoorBird Component fails to set up and the switches and camera don’t work. When I take out the Events from the config and restart, the switches and camera come back. Am I missing something?

doorbird:
  devices:
    - host: **
      username: **
      password: **
      token: **
      name: gate
      events:
        - doorbell
        - relay_unlocked
        - motion

I don’t see anything… Just check your formatting to make sure its all kosher.

Hi All,

When I added my events I had to go into the DB app and edit the HTTP(S) Calls to use the HA IP address instead of the duckdns address that was defaulty created by HA. With that change, my events fire and work properly. However, when I restart HA, additional HTTP(S) calls are created in the DB app for the duckdns items again. SO, essentially, I have duplicated of each of my triggers: one for duckdns address and one for the HA internal IP.

Anyway to stop HA from creating these duckdns calls? Is there a way to override this so the calls that are automatically created by HA use the IP instead of duckdns?

Thanks!

I just updated to HA v0.108.0 and noticed the doorbird integration was no longer working. I had read in the release notes that the doorbird was now able to be added via the UI but this was not supposed to be a breaking change. Either way, I decided to scrap the YAML integration and go for the UI integration. The documentation goes over how to properly setup this integration via the UI but it does not explain how to add the event names. After adding the doorbird through the UI and confirming it “works”, click the device settings and set your event names separated by commas.

From here, you will need to reset your schedules via the DoorBird app. If you choose to use the same event names, you will need to delete the previously created event names to avoid confusion. To do this, delete the old HTTP(S) calls through the DoorBird App, you should be able to tell which are the old and which are the new ones based on the token in the URL. I submitted a change to the documentation so hopefully it’ll post soon so you can just follow along there. Hope this helps others upgrading on this version.

2 Likes

Did you figure this out? below is the code for my live video feed lovelace card. Hope that helps.

entity: camera.gate_live
type: picture-entity
aspect_ratio: 50%
1 Like

Hi, thank you for explaining this. I just have one issue though. I can only select one http call per schedule. Since I have put in buttonpress and motion I can only make a schedule for one. As soon as I have done that the other http calls are disabled from making a schedule. Am I missing something?

I basically figured out the same solution as you had. I was previously using an entity card, I changed it to a picture-entity and that solved it (well, I don’t see a random toggle slider at least :wink: )

Speaking of the update. It found my indoor door station, the A1101, as a new device to configure. I never thought to integrate it into HA before. When I tried to add it with the new GUI it keeps giving me an “Authentication Error” regardless of which user I give it (all have full permissions). Anyone get their A1101 integrated?

1 Like

In the DoorBird app, each “event” has its own schedule and only one HomeAssistant event can be associated per schedule. The motion schedule can be found in the app under the 3D MOTION SENSOR -> Settings -> Schedule for actions. The doorbell schedule can be found in the EXPERT SETTINGS section under the Schedule for doorbell. Set the appropriate event to the correct schedule and you should be in business.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying that! Because you can see both http calls in the drop-down when in doorbell scheduler I was under the impression that was the only place to change the schedule. Totally overlooked the motion schedule in it’s own place. All working now!