Beginners guide to Doorbird

Do you think there is anyway to get feedback from HA back into the Doorbird devices? I’ve figured out how to get the Doorbird app and the indoor station (A1101) to send the event that triggers my garage door to open/close but I would like to get feedback that the door is closed to the app and/or indoor station. I have feedback via the HA app but it’d be nice to not have to then open the HA app to confirm I closed the garage when I’m standing at the indoor station (the garage can’t be seen from the camera).

Would be happy to see a solution for your issue. Have you considered the possibility of a push notification when the door is closed?

My only thought is to use HA for all your Door Opening/Closing activities instead of switching between both apps.

I think he can’t because the indoor station of DoorBird only runs it’s own software. And that is what he is using to give the closing command. So unless the software of the indoor unit has this possibilty… But a quick search on the interwebs tells me the indoor unit has no api. So then SIP is the only way to give some respons back to it.

For the WAF I wanted to use both HA and the Doorbird app/Doorbird Indoor Station. HA is doing the actual opening/closing of the door and I simply added an event from Doorbird to trigger it. The wife wanted to be able to open it from the Indoor Station (also, for the kids). It’s not critical, I don’t see us using the Doorbird to open/close the garage door often so if this doesn’t work, oh well.

Looking at the manual, I see there are two digital inputs. From the app, there doesn’t seem to be any way to use them or from the door station (though I can give user permissions to these inputs). If that was configurable, I could use those to give a notification/sound/light at the door station. Another option that would solve it would be to have it switch to another camera feed (in the garage for instance) but I doubt that would get added by Doorbird.

With the current constraints, I think the simplest solution is a little LED light mounted at/above the door station that lights up if the garage door is open. This would also serve as a reminder in case the door is left open when we’re heading up to bed.

Just had a chat with Doorbird about the E1/E2 inputs. They are only intended to be used for additional storey call buttons. You can select a different sound to play so theoretically I could have the indoor station play a sound when the door is open (I think the WAF might be -1000000 on that idea). They suggested I send it in as a feature request, so I did that.

I have another solution that should work for me. The indoor station is connected to 15V power and in that same bundle of wires are a few unused pairs. I could connect one pair to the GPIO on my Pi or a Sonoff SV and drive an LED light that would show the door was open. Or an even easier solution is to use a Zigbee power outlet I have and simply stick a nightlight into it. There’s an outlet in the same hallway as the indoor station.

1 Like

Only other idea I have would be to use something like an Inovelli switch which has an notification light built in. I have my Inovelli switch setup to be able to trigger the DoorBird relay and note the status using the built in light.

That’s a good idea too. There’s a wall switch directly below it. I could swap it out for a double switch of the type you mentioned.

The next big step in my build is getting the KNX system integrated. If so, I could simply flash one of the hallway lights x times to confirm open or closed status too.

Found the easiest solution. I can just stick a Shelly1 in there and power it off the 15V and control a small LED light that I can place on the side of the Doorbird indoor station. A Shelly1 is cheaper than buying a smart plug.

I also emailed Doorbird a Feature Request to get some feedback into their system from a door sensor. Their response:

There’s a rudimentary implementation of that feature with our A1081 I/O Door Controller. When pressed on the key icon, it is possible to see whether the inputs are currently closed or open. This feature does not exist for the indoor station as of now, because the inputs are primarily intended to be used as a storey call. For a more advanced implementation we would recommend a home automation system which theoretically can handle unlimited amounts of inputs and can display their status in a customized fashion.

Can anyone recommend a home automation system for me? :wink: Anyway, their response is what I expected but I hope they do thyink about such a feature and also add the A1101 indoor station into the API.

1 Like

Good morning,

ever since upgrading to 0.112 my doorbird integration has been broken. My system

System Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Docker version 19.03.8

I had doorbird working fine via config.yaml. I have tried deleting this and the integration but on reboot the I still get an invalid config for doorbird in the Notifications.

When I try to add the integration again it wont get past the initial +doorbird.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

That is odd. I updated too to the latest versions. And with me everything kept working. Do you see anything in the logs?

Hi all,

Managed to solve it! Reverted back to an previous snapshot and it all functioned as it should. This lulled me into a false sense of security.

Upgraded again and same errors were back. Figured I had to install sqlite3 on my ubuntu serve install…did that and errors were still the same. Stumbled across someone mentioning that the sqlite db could be corrupt.

Deleted the home-assistant_v2.db restarted and all is FIXED!!!

1 Like

I am still trying to get events working and I don’t understand what I need to do. I logged into the DB App as Admin and created a new user, then set up the integration via the HA Integration UI using that user, then I added two events (doorbell_pushed, motion) in the UI’s config. I go back to the DB App again but when I go to either 3D Motion Sensor->Settings->Schedule for actions or go to Expert Settions -> Schedule for doorbell, I don’t see my event names anywhere. All I see is a {Bell Icon} pull down which lets me choose “Push notification” or “Trigger relay”.

I read earlier about HTTP(S) Calls. That entry is empty in the DB App. Am I supposed to fill that in with something?

How long after I enter the events in the HA Integration UI do I need to wait before they show up in the DB App? Or is there something else I need to set up in the DB App?

2 Likes

Have you restarted HA after you setup the events?

1 Like

Of course not! That wasn’t in the docs anywhere that it would be necessary after configuring the integration!! LOL

However that doesn’t change the result.

AHA… After restarting HA, waiting a minute, and then logging out and logging back into the DB App, THEN I see them… How weird that one would have to restart HA for a new integration configuration to take effect? Thanks!

1 Like

Happy to help :slight_smile: Glad it works now

1 Like

Side question – I’ve got a Doorbird Chime as well. Does HA do anything with that? (I told HA to ignore it for now, figuring there’s nothing HA can do with it).

Has anyone managed to get the doorbird’s SIP functionality to integrate with HA? I’m thinking that the button pressed event could be used to establish a sip call between the doorbird and HA for two way intercom. There’s a few SIP projects on the HA forums which I may dive into but hoping someone has some tips?