Blink Integration stopped working and can't login

I’m having an issue with my new Blink cameras. I got them a week ago and set them up in Home Assistant without issue. I was able to arm/disarm the system. However, yesterday it stopped working. I tried to uninstall/reinstall the Blink integration but it didn’t work. I did verify through IFTTT that I could connect to my Blink account. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below are the logs I’m getting.

After trying to reboot HA, I have this in my logs:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 220, in async_setup
    hass, self
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/blink/__init__.py", line 98, in async_setup_entry
    _blink_startup_wrapper, entry
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/blink/__init__.py", line 66, in _blink_startup_wrapper
    blink.setup_params(entry.data["login_response"])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/blinkpy.py", line 189, in setup_params
    self.networks = self.get_networks()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/blinkpy.py", line 195, in get_networks
    response = api.request_networks(self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/api.py", line 82, in request_networks
    return http_get(blink, url)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/api.py", line 301, in http_get
    is_retry=is_retry,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/helpers/util.py", line 104, in http_req
    if json_resp and "code" in response.json():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 898, in json
    return complexjson.loads(self.text, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/simplejson/__init__.py", line 525, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py", line 370, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py", line 400, in raw_decode
    return self.scan_once(s, idx=_w(s, idx).end())
simplejson.errors.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

I uninstalled the integration and tried to reinstall it. However when I enter my credentials I get an “Unexpected Error” and can’t login. In the log I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/blink/config_flow.py", line 75, in async_step_user
    response = await validate_input(self.hass, self.blink)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/blink/config_flow.py", line 23, in validate_input
    response = await hass.async_add_executor_job(blink.get_auth_token)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/blinkpy.py", line 176, in get_auth_token
    self.setup_params(self.login_response)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/blinkpy.py", line 189, in setup_params
    self.networks = self.get_networks()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/blinkpy.py", line 195, in get_networks
    response = api.request_networks(self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/api.py", line 82, in request_networks
    return http_get(blink, url)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/api.py", line 301, in http_get
    is_retry=is_retry,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/blinkpy/helpers/util.py", line 104, in http_req
    if json_resp and "code" in response.json():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 898, in json
    return complexjson.loads(self.text, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/simplejson/__init__.py", line 525, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py", line 370, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/simplejson/decoder.py", line 400, in raw_decode
    return self.scan_once(s, idx=_w(s, idx).end())
simplejson.errors.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
3 Likes

I have the same issue … Blink cam data like temp and other parameters are unavailable since about 5p on 7/9/2020. Did they change the login requirements again? I do not hammer their servers that often. Every 900s for simple data, and haven’t had any issues until now.

Same. Integration stopped completely, then unable to re-establish when deleted and reinstalled…same error “Unexpected Error”. I rarely ping the servers, suspect they changed security or API.

I’m just using the default config, so I can’t imagine it overloading anyway. I was just looking to arm/disarm the system. I tried to use the IFTTT integration to send a webhook to IFTTT and have it arm/disarm…but of course the IFTTT integration wasn’t working either for me. I finally ended up setting up rest_commands for the arm/disarm webhook urls. It’ll do for now until things are fixed.

@Crewski Same thing is happening to me as well. Stopped working late this afternoon. I really wish that Blink would leave this integration alone and stop messing with everything! :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m also having this trouble. It believe it started sometime yesterday mid afternoon for me.

Hello @fronzbot,

Any idea what might be happening with the Blink integration? Is the API down for everyone or just a few select people?

Thanks very much!

Rodney

I’m having the issue as well. It looks like users of other third party libraries are having similar issues which indicates Blink is probably locking stuff down. I’m looking into it though, hopefully there’s a workaround

5 Likes

Thanks @fronzbot ! :+1:

+1, I’m having the same issue.

Same here. Checked the Bling desktop app and that appears to still get in OK.

Yea same issue here. When I logged out of the app on my phone I noticed the 2FA requirement below. If I had to guess the integration isn’t supporting the 2FA

We’ve detected a login attempt on your Blink account from:
Device: iPhone 11 Pro Max
Device Name: iPhone

To confirm this was you, please enter the verification code below in your app now.

Your verification PIN:

This code expires 40 minutes from when it was sent. If the code is not entered, access to your account from the device will not be granted. If this login attempt wasn’t made by you, we recommend you change your password now.

Same here, all stopped working July 10 11AM est. Seems like they have changed something on the Blink side.

I am also having this issue, nothing worked so i tried removing then adding the integration but now i get an “unexpected error” when trying to add it again.

+1… thanks @fronzbot!

I have possibly found a temporary workaround; nothing exceptional but might help some people.

I had previously set up HA to arm/disarm Blink system based on presence detection. Now, this clearly doesn’t work.

I’ve therefore set up WebHooks in IFTTT, so that HA sends a WebHook notification to IFTTT when the presence in the house changes. It sends an “Arm” when nobody’s home, while it sends “Disarm” when the first person arrives. IFTTT Then takes care of admin/disarming the system based on the notification received.

I know this doesn’t solve the problem with checking the cameras/videos, nor it allows to check the RSSI or the temperature or he battery status, however it can allow to restore automations.

Whilst I’d like to see this integration working again, like it did until a days ago, I hope this workaround can help other people too.

Just a quick update- logging in works fine. It looks like some endpoints used to set the component up and do system refreshes are either being blocked or have moved. So I think this is a fixable issue.

6 Likes

Thanks for looking into it @fronzbot

Hi Everyone, I was using the Blink integration for years until I got the dreaded “we have blocked you” email earlier this year. Took me a while to unblock me but I did in the end.
Since then I have been following a few threads on Blink and their messing around with APIs.
I would love to re-enable the integration but what is the latest on doing so?
What is the very latest status of doing this?
If I do then what is best to avoid being blocked? What config should I avoid?
Thanks

Here is screenshot of call for disarm