Bluetooth audio in Hass.io

Hi all,

After spending a few days, I managed to stream some sound from Hass.io to a bluetooth speaker. The configuration is based on a Home Assistant Supervised installation and uses the onboard bluetooth controller of my Raspberry Pi.

Here is the link with the configuration documented:
hassio-bluepiaudio

6 Likes

great work!
I see that you already have radio stations and docker image on your todo list, but I would also love to see a generic version (not only for raspberry) for hassio with a bluetooth dongle setup

I donā€™t think it will be any different on any other hardware.

Thank you for your work, including the excellent write-up.

So, Iā€™m guessing that itā€™s not possible to do a similar thing with a ā€˜regularā€™ Hass.io system?

I expect it would require changes to Hass.io. Have those changes been recorded somewhere?
I also guess that the folks who create Hass.io have decided against doing these changes? Do you know where I can find that rationale?

Thanks again for your work,
Kent

Welcome Kent,

When deploying the standard Hass.io image in RPi there is no option to do changes to the system environment that Home Assistant is running on it.

A possible solution would be to containerize the Bluetooth confgiuration, speaker setup and mpd configuration on a single docker image. If this works then the next step is to integrate the new image to the Hass.io docker system. It is just an idea but not quite sure if it is feasible.

BR

@evzone, do you know if there is a difference between the package that you used (bluealsa), and the alpine package ā€œbluez-alsaā€ ? I ask because I am thinking about trying a docker addon.

But only thinking, because if it were possible I think someone would have done it by now. Plus, the output of ā€œha audio infoā€ and ā€œha hardware infoā€ do not include anything about a a bluetooth device.

Hi Kent,

The bluetooth confgiuration I did is based on Debian, more accurate Raspbian which is more or less the same.

I tried to do something similar to Alpine Linux using the bare image in Docker but my efforts were not successful. I will try to do the same using Debian image instead of Alpine but I am not quite sure if it will work.

Letā€™s try both and share our experience.

BR

1 Like