Bluetooth support for speakers

I have multiple situations where I would like to play a pre recorded audio message through my speaker on an event. I’ve have about reached the end of the Internet and haven’t figured out how to make this work yet lol This seems like a standard feature that should be added to the build itself.

I like this idea if I am understanding what your suggesting, your referring to “dumb” Bluetooth speakers right?
If so I would love to be able to pair them with the computer running HA using a bluetooth dongle and then broadcast music to them.

As far as I know this is only possible with Echo’s and possibly google homes but those are using Wifi I believe not the bluetooth connection.

Correct. I mean with standard bluetooth speakers. I do not use Echos or Google Home. I would like to use 1 as an alarm clock, play prerecorded records like, “the house is arming”, “Kids its bed time”, “Time to feed the dogs”, etc.

I can think of a ton of uses for this but its way over may head to even comprehend what is required to make it work if its even possible.

This really seems like it should be pretty simple. I mean, on my Linux desktop I click Bluetooth, Add, and then choose the device I want to connect to from a list of scanned devices. It’s the same in Windows. I don’t see why on the Linux based HAos it should be any more complex than clicking Devices > Bluetooth > Add > Choose the device from a list of scanned devices. Then that device should just show up as a media player. Currently far more esoteric devices like plant sensors have a more automated setup than this.

1 Like

Exactly. I have a need to play a single mp3 on a continuous basis to a Bluetooth speaker. No search, no playlists, no fast forward/rewind…just ‘play’ this mp3 constantly and perhaps ‘stop’ if I say stop. Unfortunately, I have to have an entire computer dedicated to just this one function. It would be great, with all the useful and useless integrations available in Home Assistant’s OS, this could be done. I understand that they want HA to be an “appliance”, but if it can do so many other “non-appliance” things, playing a single song, directly to a Bluetooth speaker, shouldn’t be that difficult and shouldn’t “ruin” HAOS and the HA ecosystem.

This would still be a great addition to Home Assistant