BMW Connected drive doesn't work anymore?

Today the BMW Connected is working again :slight_smile:
Do we know the reason why it didn’t work yesterday?

Worked for me once after 2021.8.1 and now the error from yesterday,
Anyone the same?
Vehicle status doesn’t seem to update in the BMW app either so I’m thinking it’s their fault again?

Still doesn’t work for me… I’m a North America user. Password is valid. The 400 tells me there could be something else going on. I’ll dig into the code and try to resolve in Postman.

2021-08-05 10:31:11 ERROR (SyncWorker_5) [bimmer_connected.account] Authentication failed. Maybe your password is invalid?
2021-08-05 10:31:11 ERROR (SyncWorker_5) [bimmer_connected.account] The BMW Connected Drive portal returned an error: UNKNOWN_ERROR (received status code 400 and expected 200).
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/bimmer_connected/account.py", line 102, in _get_oauth_token
    response = self.send_request(url, data=data, headers=headers, allow_redirects=False,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/bimmer_connected/account.py", line 156, in send_request
    raise IOError(msg)
OSError: The BMW Connected Drive portal returned an error: UNKNOWN_ERROR (received status code 400 and expected 200).

I encountered the same since 2 days ago… I’m in ‘the rest of the world’ region and it shows on the integrations that the ‘Authentication Failed. May be your password is invalid’ message. I also encounter some messages on my car console when i first started the car saying access is invalid or something… but when i checked, the car seems to be login successfully to the connected drive. I also double check on my apps and browser, both can login with the same old password. I’m on 2021.6.6… Hope this is temporally.

for me it stopped working in 2021.7.4. I updated to 2021.8.1 but still is not working
I own a Mini

I’assume that there is currently an issue with the BMW/Mini Connected Drive services. Just received my car (530e) back from service and it reported via iDrive, that it could not login to connected services and I should clear and re-create my profile - which I didn’t.

Returned home I started charging, which is usually reported to the MyBMW app on mobile via Connected Services. That didn’t happen immediately, but with a 20mins delay. So obviously my car war able to log-in in the meantime.

Oh, and by the way: BMW Connected Drive in HA 2021.8.2 is currently failing again.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/bimmer_connected/account.py", line 102, in _get_oauth_token
    response = self.send_request(url, data=data, headers=headers, allow_redirects=False,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/bimmer_connected/account.py", line 156, in send_request
    raise IOError(msg)
OSError: The BMW Connected Drive portal returned an error: UNKNOWN_ERROR (received status code 400 and expected 200).

Exactly the same. Broke on 8.0, worked after 8.1 and now failing again on 8.2. Not sure if is has something to do with the update or timing is just coincident.

Yep same here, Upgraded to 2021.8.1 and it stopped working.
Can login via the Mini-App though.

BMW has deactivated the APIs for the “old” Connected Drive app. Seems they have actived it again shortly, before deactivating it again so that’s why you see different behavior.
We have to find a way to use the api of the new My BMW app, but that is work in progress.

This applies to all HA versions.

More info here → BMW Connected Drive Authentication Issue · Issue #53977 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

1 Like

Looks like they added this new thing called BMW CARDATA https://www.bmw.co.uk/en-gb/mybmw/mapped-vehicle/14e68431b9ed21ba988254084c70d04abb05ab75f66259ab0999542f3a4fc57533d342f7f5df2ace91cc2815a94cb161cc/public/car-data-info/
And it’s to do with allowing 3rd party apps/services to telemetry data so hopefully meaning easier API access.
You have to agree to T&Cs to enable it when you’re logged into connected drive

1 Like

I have accepted the cardata but not sure how I can use it?

That is more for the owners of this integration as I’m sure code changes are required if BMW changed the connected drive api completely.

PR with fix for rest_of_world users is made → Fix login to BMW services for rest_of_world by rikroe · Pull Request #54261 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Newbie here on the procedures on devops here. Does this mean a fix is created and will be release in an upcoming HA release automaticly? Or can I force it now myself somehow as workaround?

It seems to be fixed in 2021.8.5

Just updated to 2021.8.5 and BMW connection is working again!

THX to all about the fast fix and update!

Ok i don’t see the .5 update yet? let me see…

Not 100% related to Home Assistant, but most definitely relevant:

I have a 2016 228i and noticed it wasn’t receiving traffic information even though my Connected Drive subscriptions are still active through the end of the year. I spoke with BMW yesterday and was informed that a free hardware upgrade from 3G to 4G data is available for my vehicle.

In fact, the woman I spoke with said that even though the new MyBMW app is geared towards newer models (2019+), getting the upgraded 4G hardware would allow it to work more fluidly with MyBMW. I use the MyBMW app now and it’s just as hit or miss as Connected Drive, but that 4G chip should solve a lot of that.

That said, the Connected Drive integration hasn’t worked for me at all for the last 6-8 months. No errors (until now, saying my password is incorrect), but all entities associated with my car have been unavailable since then.

I’ve noticed it seems to be back since 2021.8.5 but (not sure if this happened recently or after 2021.8.x) it appears that there are fewer detail being returned. In my case I had used additional attributes to entities in my basic car status dashboard below. For example the door locks entities had attributes for the status of the individual doors and the service condition one had dates and mileages for when certain things were due etc.

I assume the recent changes at BMW include changes to the information the API returns.

EDIT: looks like the devs on bimmer_connected have found the issue Missing attributes to lids and windows · Issue #307 · bimmerconnected/bimmer_connected · GitHub