BMW i3 Charging Notifications will notify on completion, unplugged early before fully charged and when charging has started or is delayed due to off-peak power plan

I have pushover set up, what are you using for a Service in your Call Service Node? is “mobile_app_james_jb” defined in another area?

OK, getting a little further. Have notify.i3s_notifications set up as a service and was able to successfully trigger a notification to my iPhone. However, I can’t get the same notification when pressing the FINISHED_FULLY_CHARGED inject button.

Not in front of my PC right now. I’ll send some screenshots later showing you how to do the service call from inside NodeRed.

1 Like

I’m now able to get iOS pushover notifications from HA using services and automation. However, I can’t get any notifications to trigger from node red. Screenshots below.

services

When using Pushover you need to identify a target, at least that’s how my setup works, here’s an example of a notification I have setup:

Click on the three dots I have highlighted so you can edit the JSON data, example JSON data below screenshot

{
    "data": {
        "priority": 0,
        "sound": "cosmic"
    },
    "message": "test message",
    "target": "name_of_target_device",
    "title": "title of test message"
}

Here’s another recent thread showing some examples of how Pushover works

Weird thing - there was a notification at 3:09am charging was finished when though I can’t trigger it with the inject command with the previous configuration.

I’ve renamed the i3s_notifications in the configuration.yaml to pushover which is now what shows up in the service field and entered the data to what is shown in your example. I still have the 3 error messages at the bottom of the Edit Call Service Node window:

Service: notify.pushover

No description provided by home assistant
no fields documented by home-assistant

The json text will sent a notification to my iPhone if run through services in HA

Those errors you’re getting inside node red, can you connect a debug node and take a screenshot of what’s outputting? Really what we’re dealing with here is your newness to NodeRed and the fact it seems like it’s not letting you send out notifications via HA using Pushover and I’m not sure what the problem is.

We can instead build this inside an HA automation for now if you’d like, keep it simple for now, then when you figure out NodeRed a little more via trial and error I can show you how to make it more complex inside NodeRed later.

Sure, have an example how to set up a debug?

This guy has a decent series of videos to show you the basics of NodeRed. This is a link to video 3 in his series. Starting around 1.5 minute mark you can see him working with inject and debug nodes:

First of all, thanks for all the help you’ve provided.

Been toying around with NR and while I cannot get the 'inject` command to work, Pushover is successfully sending notifications regularly to iOS. I’ve added Connected and Waiting notifications, but have to wait until NR send the commands.

inject command now working properly, had things routed incorrectly on the previous chart.

How do you get notifications of battery levels? Are they based on a specific time or percentage (or both)?

are you getting notifications when the car is plugged in? The only reason we were trying the inject was to simulate what the sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status outputs.

To be able to get battery levels we have to get pretty complicated, but I want to make sure you’re getting at least notified when charging stops and starts right now? (the waiting for charge only applies if you have peak and off peak times programmed)

Yes, I’m getting notifications for everything now (waiting to charge, charging, charging finished). Inject commands are working as well.

Foundation has been built - ready to expand! :slight_smile:

The way I have mine setup is to send me a notification every 45 minutes until the car is fully charged, each message that comes to me shows the battery level, I also have an option of sending me a text message when charging finishes, everything else you see that I pasted is just extra fluff. How often do you want to be notified that the car is charging?

1 Like

Every 45 is fine. Once the groundwork is laid, I can tweak the settings on my own later.

Obviously, I don’t need the TV settings, but may look into down the road it as HA supports Vizio.

You’re going to want to connect from the switch output for == CHARGING (on mine it’s the 3rd one, see screenshot).

From there you will route the message through a looptimer node, I have mine setup to loop every 45 min and time out at 5 hours, so it’s not always just looping forever, see screenshot 2.

This is the JSON for the message format that I believe should work for you to get the battery percentage, make sure you have both entities named sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_level_hv and sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status showing up inside your HA.

{
    "message": "Battery Lvl {{ states.sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_level_hv.state }}%",
    "title": "BMW i3 is {{ states.sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status.state }}"
}

Think I have it set up correctly The inject command gives me a Battery Lvl unknown% message, but I’m not charging at the moment (at work). I can test once I get back to the charger at home.

Is there anything else needed?

Show me what you have inside your “charging?” node, just want to make sure you have it correct, also add a 99 second delay before it (I do this because sometimes the car falsely reports charging when it’s not really charging)

Current state node contents:

Add the delay before or after looptimer?