BMW i3 Charging Notifications will notify on completion, unplugged early before fully charged and when charging has started or is delayed due to off-peak power plan

inject command now working properly, had things routed incorrectly on the previous chart.

How do you get notifications of battery levels? Are they based on a specific time or percentage (or both)?

are you getting notifications when the car is plugged in? The only reason we were trying the inject was to simulate what the sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status outputs.

To be able to get battery levels we have to get pretty complicated, but I want to make sure you’re getting at least notified when charging stops and starts right now? (the waiting for charge only applies if you have peak and off peak times programmed)

Yes, I’m getting notifications for everything now (waiting to charge, charging, charging finished). Inject commands are working as well.

Foundation has been built - ready to expand! :slight_smile:

The way I have mine setup is to send me a notification every 45 minutes until the car is fully charged, each message that comes to me shows the battery level, I also have an option of sending me a text message when charging finishes, everything else you see that I pasted is just extra fluff. How often do you want to be notified that the car is charging?

1 Like

Every 45 is fine. Once the groundwork is laid, I can tweak the settings on my own later.

Obviously, I don’t need the TV settings, but may look into down the road it as HA supports Vizio.

You’re going to want to connect from the switch output for == CHARGING (on mine it’s the 3rd one, see screenshot).

From there you will route the message through a looptimer node, I have mine setup to loop every 45 min and time out at 5 hours, so it’s not always just looping forever, see screenshot 2.

This is the JSON for the message format that I believe should work for you to get the battery percentage, make sure you have both entities named sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_level_hv and sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status showing up inside your HA.

{
    "message": "Battery Lvl {{ states.sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_level_hv.state }}%",
    "title": "BMW i3 is {{ states.sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status.state }}"
}

Think I have it set up correctly The inject command gives me a Battery Lvl unknown% message, but I’m not charging at the moment (at work). I can test once I get back to the charger at home.

Is there anything else needed?

Show me what you have inside your “charging?” node, just want to make sure you have it correct, also add a 99 second delay before it (I do this because sometimes the car falsely reports charging when it’s not really charging)

Current state node contents:

Add the delay before or after looptimer?

Put sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status in as entity ID inside your “charging?” node…

Put the delay node BEFORE the “Charging?” node. See screen shot:

Put another current state node after the looptimer node with the entity ID of sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_level_hv copy my setup, you want it to be if state is not 100, see screenshots

Connect the top output of the new current state node you just created to your “Notify Charge Status” node

insert a change node and set msg payload to STOP and connect it to bottom output of “i3 Batt Lvl (!= 100)” node and then connect it to the looptimer, this will make it so when you reach 100% charge the looptimer will stop

When you’re done with all of that send me a pic of the whole flow and also let me know how it performs when you plug in :slight_smile: I’ve got to log off for tonight but this info here should get you working, hopefully.

Everything appears to be working! Have the notifications spaced at 15min apart temporarily to monitor and seem to be getting regular updates.

I’m getting a INVALID command which is from the WAITING_FOR_CHARGING command throughout the day, possibly meaning the STOP switch isn’t configured properly?

Also, is there a way to get a notification of total miles is available once charging is completed?

Regarding the INVALID messages… show me what’s inside your switch node? I think something is passing through when it should be or we need to setup another node to tell the repeat to STOP when you unplug, but I want to see inside the switch not first just to be safe.

Regarding adding how much range is available look through your states inside HA and you should have an entity named sensor.i3s_94_rex_remaining_range_total and one that ends in “electric” but I believe you have a Rex so you might want to know both? Let me know if you’re able to find either of those entities and I’ll show you how to add one or both of them to your finished charging notify.

Also, make sure you are deploying when done, the screenshots you’ve posted look like you haven’t deployed but maybe you’re just taking a screenshot before you hit deploy. When you see these dots it’s letting you know you’ve moved something and need to deploy

I had a few extra minutes, here’s something you need to add (grab an events: state node) and inside of it put your entity of binary_sensor.i3s_94_rex_charging_status and program the node like you see below and connect it to the stop change node.

Switch node

There’s a possibility something was moved and didn’t use the Deploy command as I didn’t get these messages overnight.

I have rEX.

Switch node looks good, I’m guessing you unplugged the car before it hit 100% and the loop kept going is why you got the INVALID messages, the new even node I just posted should fix that for you if that’s what was happening.