BMW i3 Charging Notifications will notify on completion, unplugged early before fully charged and when charging has started or is delayed due to off-peak power plan

That’s an example of the “finished charging” notification for my setup. Depending on what notify service you’re using yours might differ a little bit. You can simply create a “started charging” notification and a “finished charging” and connect the correct one to the output that it corresponds with on the switch node. The 3rd one I have is to let me know that my car is waiting for after hours charging to start

1 Like

The great thing with Node Red is you can use inject node to test out your service call notifications to make sure the setup works. I’ll show you how you can test it out in a few minutes, go checkout the notification guides in the meantime

Here’s pics of setting up inject node for testing…

1 Like

Test notification received from pushed.co

Awesome! Can you show me inside the call service node what you have in it? I can help you customize it a little more maybe.

Not sure what a “call service node” is. Is this on Node Red or Pushed?

It’s in node red. But we can back up a little bit. How did you send that test message? From inside HA? Show me a screenshot? Just want to make sure I understand what you have setup.

The notification was sent using a 3rd party service, I could be overcomplicating things a bit if HA is capable of sending notifications on its own.

Yeah I’m not sure about that setup there… it’s possible you could connect it to HA or NodeRed but I won’t be much help to you because I’m not familiar with it. If you’d like to try setting something else up I’d recommend going with Pushover, that’s what I use. Here’s the info on how to set it up inside your Home Assistant: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/pushover/

If you can get that working and successfully send yourself a test message from inside HA or NodeRed with either Pushover or the one you have setup now then we can move on to the next step.

I have pushover set up, what are you using for a Service in your Call Service Node? is “mobile_app_james_jb” defined in another area?

OK, getting a little further. Have notify.i3s_notifications set up as a service and was able to successfully trigger a notification to my iPhone. However, I can’t get the same notification when pressing the FINISHED_FULLY_CHARGED inject button.

Not in front of my PC right now. I’ll send some screenshots later showing you how to do the service call from inside NodeRed.

1 Like

I’m now able to get iOS pushover notifications from HA using services and automation. However, I can’t get any notifications to trigger from node red. Screenshots below.

services

When using Pushover you need to identify a target, at least that’s how my setup works, here’s an example of a notification I have setup:

Click on the three dots I have highlighted so you can edit the JSON data, example JSON data below screenshot

{
    "data": {
        "priority": 0,
        "sound": "cosmic"
    },
    "message": "test message",
    "target": "name_of_target_device",
    "title": "title of test message"
}

Here’s another recent thread showing some examples of how Pushover works

Weird thing - there was a notification at 3:09am charging was finished when though I can’t trigger it with the inject command with the previous configuration.

I’ve renamed the i3s_notifications in the configuration.yaml to pushover which is now what shows up in the service field and entered the data to what is shown in your example. I still have the 3 error messages at the bottom of the Edit Call Service Node window:

Service: notify.pushover

No description provided by home assistant
no fields documented by home-assistant

The json text will sent a notification to my iPhone if run through services in HA

Those errors you’re getting inside node red, can you connect a debug node and take a screenshot of what’s outputting? Really what we’re dealing with here is your newness to NodeRed and the fact it seems like it’s not letting you send out notifications via HA using Pushover and I’m not sure what the problem is.

We can instead build this inside an HA automation for now if you’d like, keep it simple for now, then when you figure out NodeRed a little more via trial and error I can show you how to make it more complex inside NodeRed later.

Sure, have an example how to set up a debug?

This guy has a decent series of videos to show you the basics of NodeRed. This is a link to video 3 in his series. Starting around 1.5 minute mark you can see him working with inject and debug nodes:

First of all, thanks for all the help you’ve provided.

Been toying around with NR and while I cannot get the 'inject` command to work, Pushover is successfully sending notifications regularly to iOS. I’ve added Connected and Waiting notifications, but have to wait until NR send the commands.