BOM Weather component, no summary

Well that was quick and nearly painless. I thought TTS was supposed to migrate automatically? That failed. Otherwise ok. Guess I need to configure it manually.

It should have migrated… it did on my system (when on the Beta… b0) I had to manually roll it back as b0 broke all my custom stuff but then b1 migrated it again.

I had to add a couple of manifest.json files as well (bom forecast ftp and custom alarm panel). I set up the new BoM radar cameras and that failed. I got one 128km to wok once I realised I only needed the ID number not the whole IDR… string. Couldn’t get the 512 composite to work (double checked the id#, delta and frames). Just tried another 512km composite nearby and now both cameras (128km as well that was working) don’t work. The whole BoM network seems highly unstable here. Might just buy a freaking weather station.

That’s weird Tom… I’m using 2 - the Sydney one called Sydney and the Newcastle one which I had to reference by number, frame rate and delta. Both work.

One thing, if you use the number, make sure to put it in quotes. Mine started with a 0 and it did not like it and I believe according to the dev it might be converting to octal instead of using it as decimal. Putting it in quotes (which the dev fixed in beta) fixed it for my non-standard Newcastle one.

Did you contact the devs of those failing custom components? I believe manifests are only needed for core components, not custom_components. I am always wary of screwing around with custom fixes without talking to the dev first. As an example, Phil Buckner came up with a completely different fix for the custom sun component than I thought would be used.

The alarm panel Dev has gone AWOL. I’m sure Brendan will update the FTP BoM forecast component - In fact I should check if he already has.

Thanks for the tip about quotes. Will give that a go.

EDIT: no luck with the quotes around the id number. Will create an issue.

Thanks for the comments guys.
I’ve just added a third sensor, for Brisbane, and it too isn’t showing any summary data. I would have thought that a capital city station would have shown this.
I should note that it’s saying ‘unknown’. Other conditions are displaying.

Do you have a station that shows the summary? Could you post the station ID for testing my end?

Apologies for derailing your thread a bit. Can you post your config for your sensor?

Station ID for Brisbane should be: IDQ10095, it does have a summary:

ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/gen/fwo/IDQ10095.xml

Just realised you are using the official weather platform or sensor. Neither of which give forecasts only current conditions. So no summary.

This custom component will do that: Australian Weather Forecast using BOM Public FTP

That’s quite alright.
In fact, this might look like it’s more inline with what I am after. Really all I want at the moment is the icon mapping, e.g. pouring, lightning, rainy, etc.

This custom component will do that: Australian Weather Forecast using BOM Public FTP

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Hi David, with the new BoM radar component, does yours cycle through the images properly? I have both the original custom_component and the new native one setup on the same Lovelace page but only the custom one cycles through images… the native one is just showing a single image.

weather.yaml

camera:
  - platform: 'bom_radar'   #  https://community.home-assistant.io/t/australian-animated-radar-using-bom-public-ftp/83451
    name: "Perth Rain Radar"
    product_id: 'IDR703'

- platform: bom
    id: '703'
    delta: 600
    frames: 4

Lovelace.yaml

- type: picture-entity
    title: Perth Radar
    show_info: false
    show_name: false
    show_state: false
    camera_image: camera.perth_rain_radar
    entity: camera.perth_rain_radar
    tap_action: dialog

title: Perth Radar New
    show_info: false
    show_name: false
    show_state: false
    camera_image: camera.bom_radar_loop_id_703
    entity: camera.bom_radar_loop_id_703
    tap_action: dialog

Any ideas? (sorry for the thread going off-track)

Try changing your # frames to 6:

- platform: bom
    id: '703'
    delta: 600
    frames: 6

There are 6 available.

Well thats given me two images, 30mins apart… not sure whats going on there. The delta: 600 should make them 10mins apart like the custom_component does. :thinking:

The frames are 6 minutes apart. you need to set delta: 360 as well.

The delta has to match the website.

Thanks. Not sure what I was thinking there now that I look closer, need more coffee!

was interested to see what this did above the basic
entity: camera.bom_radar_loop_sydney

It locked up HA. :frowning:

BTW - @sparkydave - given you are using the Perth Radar, any reason you are over-riding the id/delta/frames and not using
?

It was only that I initially thought that I was previously using a ‘custom’ radar image other than the standard Perth one, but I later realised that it is actually my weather sensor location which is somewhat ‘custom’ compared to the base Perth one.

Now that I have adjusted the parameters of the BOM camera, it is working exactly as per the custom_component so I’ll be getting rid of that one from my config.

Hi Dave - I’ve been without internet for 10 days on a cruise but I see Tom set you right.

10 days! How did you survive?

It was a struggle. LOL.

1 Like

Did you even get the 512km composite working? All of my other scales work fine (I use an input_select to switch between views), but I get a black box for the 512km composite.

Nope. The issue is still open but no one has looked at it yet.