Brilliant Switches

These look awesome, anybody heard any more on them?

Yes they look awesome, but are expensive and 120v only.

For $150-$200 per room, that’s not too bad at all for a professionally-made in-wall touchscreen control.

Compare that with an $80 smartphone that can be used with a tablet + whatever hardware would cost to make it look professional, what with hiding a USB cable and buying wall outlets with USB ports for $20 each. As for hardware cost… Hmm… $50+ or more for wood and circular saw to cut the wood for corners – maybe $50…

I don’t know what all the upfront costs are going to be and I don’t want to do all that hackish stuff. I’d simply buy a couple of Brilliants that are professionally-made.

So yeah, I would not write this off as being too expensive. And I like the features that Brilliant has even if it means not having HADashboard. Brilliant has a very nice slick user interface for sure and I might buy a couple of those in the future.

I do see your point, although at 120v only it isn’t going to ever work for me.

1 Like

When are they going to be available?

For a professional looking permanent solution I don’t think these are at all bad value.

They’re not for me though as HA is more ongoing hobby than lifestyle and I get a kick out of doing expensive sounding stuff on the cheap which I’m not then afraid to bin and start again on a whim.

Think the majority here probably think much the same or we’d all be using Hue kit not Yeelights and Sonoffs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really think Brilliant has a lot of potential. I just hope they open their API so we can integrate into HA or at the very least through another hub like Wink, SmartThings, Homekit etc.

The one advantage Brilliant has over other smart switches is the screen. It’s nice to have voice but not always practical.

You want them to know about and work with us? So ask them.

Seriously.

[email protected]

If we don’t make a noise about collaboration, compatibility, 230v mains, WiFi-6, whatever we want, how do they know they’re missing out?

1 Like

Making a component is way above my pay scale, but you can get an open API for Brilliant here:

https://brillianttech.wufoo.com/forms/z195y9ir0vaw1z6/

That’s a URL that allows a person to request to be included in a thing.

A bunch of requests to e involved in a program are very different from “Support director keeps hearing the words “Hass” and “open API”, maybe there’s something to that”.

Yes, in my 37 years on a keyboard, I’ve worked in big companies and startups, and I know this over-simplifies in an attempt to explain “signal” at the director-level, but these are very different signals. Namely, contacting Brilliant Support has a chance of being heard, but you’ll notice there’s no attributes nor metadata collected at the request to be involved in a program.

Cntact Brilliant support. Spend the time, be noticed, cause attention to swing over to this interest.

Support is now added using HomeKit. I successfully connected some lights today

If you pair via HomeKit to HA, doesn’t that mean you can’t pair to Apple’s HomeKit?

Correct. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m assuming you can just use the entity_id back into your homekit instance.

@Jer78 Quick request for update if you’re still using these? I’d like to give them a try if they’re working. Is like to know if they viable both being controlled and also as controllers through the touchscreen.

Cant you pair these to home kit and then use home bridge to pair to home assistant?

@chicagoandy Sorry for my late response. Yes, I still use them. You can pair them directly with Home Assistant using the Homekit integration, then you can pass to Homekit through HA.

1 Like

All, please upvote my feature request for a native Brilliant integration: Brilliant.tech switch Integration