Brilliant.tech switch Integration

Brilliant.tech switches are totally awesome, and are some of the coolest switches in existence.

Currently These switches have a weak homekit implementation, but limitations include lack of sensors, video streams, and the biggest problem is they will not control a Homekit or Homeassistant entity. Other ugly workarounds involve using the Hue emulator, with equally frustrating limitations.

These switches are begging for a proper native Integration. Please?

Difficult when the company doesn’t provide an api

2 Likes

Many of the integrations are reverse engineered?

Also, it’s not like home assistant has an API. It’s not credible to complain about a missing API when home assistant doesn’t publish one.

The switches run Linux on arm, have ssh enabled, and appear to be running python.

They have integrations with Google, homekit, Alexa, and pretty much all of the other hardware vendors. I have no doubt with the right approach they would partner up.

??? All of Home Assistant is open, with well published and documented APIs. It would be very easy to integrate into Home Assistant. Those are 100+ of Brilliant switches not ordered just for those three projects.

I really like Brilliant controls, but their lack of integration with Home Assistant just meant that two homes and one commercial space we decided to order alternatives to Brilliant because the integration ability was not there.

There is no way that Google, HomeKit, Alexa, etc can keep up with Home Assistant’s wide variety of integrations in the long term. IMO, it is the only viable smart control system out there if you want to build more complex smart homes. For simple residential smart homes, all these options are of course fine…but when you get into more complicated HVAC, ventilation, retrofit to legacy home theaters, etc. all the common systems fail. The only options are totally custom Control4/Crestron or Home Assistant.

1 Like

There is any news here about the integration? Thank you.

Im also curious about non-official integrations.

1 Like

Yes they are, so get engineering :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

I have a simple Brilliant plug. I’m just using it at present to turn my fish tank lights on and off. The reason I bought that brand was they can tell you how much power they use which things like TP Link Tapo can’t. Unfortunately no way yet to integrate them in Home Assistant. Google finds and controls them OK.

Yeah, the support for the Brilliant devices is disappointing. Did you try using either SmartThings or Homekit to make those devices available?

I’m building a new house, and I was about to pull the trigger on more than a dozen of these. Now I’m going to have to stick with Lutron switches and hope that some day Brilliant gets its act together.

I don’t know about a native integration, but I have these in my house, and am able to get about 80% of the way to a usable integration with their HomeKit integration along with emulated hue for other unsupported devices.

How did you pair the homekit with Brilliant? I can’t find the pairing codes

1 Like

@wizkidweb which lights are you using with emulated hue?

Looking to hear about this too.

I have several 2 and 4 gang versions of these switches in my home. When the builder wired all the ceiling fans, they use 2 gangs. Therefore, in my setup, I have the light connected to a slider and the other slider is set it “always on” so that slider can be reassigned to a virtual device, like the volume on the Sonos speakers.

I also have motorized shades in all my rooms that are connected with the Motion Blinds Gateway (MBG) . What I want to do is figure out how to connect that open slider to the motion blinds gateway.

My first idea is to somehow “spoof” that there is a support bulb (hue, Lifx, wemo, kasa). This will support the ability to set a dimmer value of 0-100 which I could then translate over to MBG to execute the change.

Thoughts?

Nevermind – I see there is a SmartThings integration for 3DB and I was able to use that :slight_smile:

Brilliant now has homekit support. It provides the pairing code if you go to “Settings > Works with Brilliant > Apple HomeKit”.

I’m using a large variety, including WLED, zwave, WiZ, and I also have some scripts exposed as switches through emulated hue.

Do you have any issues with duplicates with emulated hue? Every week or so my brilliant keypads will say they have detected new devices, when they are just duplicates of existing lights. My json config for the add-on doesn’t show any duplicate and I’m at a loss.