Broadlink RM Mini3 - keeps disconnecting from wifi?

I have 5 Broadlink RM mini3 blasters. Been working flawlessly for almost 2 years now on hass. I don’t use their app for anything except for pairing, and have blocked internet access for them because privacy. That has been the working setup.

A few days ago a connectivity problem started with three out of the 5 blasters. The issue is that these three devices cannot stay connected to my wifi for more than 3-5 minutes, then a disconnect happens that lasts under a minute, after which they reconnect. This makes using them on hass unreliable and causes a lot of connectivity problems.

I noticed that the 3 problematic devices are the ones running firmware v55, while the stable ones are running firmware v20029.

No other device on my wifi has connectivity issues. The two functioning blasters have a connection time of 7-8 hours, like my other wifi clients.

I have tried enabling internet access for the three problematic blasters, that did not solve the problem.

(1) any idea where I can revert the firmware to the stabler versions?
(2) any idea where else to look for the cause of the error? Wifi config, anything else?

Same problem with a v50 RM mini 3.
It was working fine, but lately it disconnects too often, and have to reset it to get it connected again.

1 Like

The problem went away when I replaced the router with a spare I have. Now am trying to understand whether the problem was maybe caused by a dying router.

I have the same problem since I got a new router. It keeps disconnecting and won’t work untill I reset it again. The app from Broadlink doesn’t work either. Anyone found a solution?

for me it must have been the Asus router; it kept acting up independent of broadlink connectivity. I also had a problem with the asuswrt component, which went away after replacing the malfunctioning router.

I guess the two devices just don’t know how to play nice. I decided to set up a ping sensor to keep track of when it stops working. Weirdly, after this it kept working. So it might be a coincidence or might be a fix. All I can think of is that the Broadlink keeps being woken up and doesn’t go in some sort of rest-mode after which it loses connection. But I’m not that technical.

For those interested, I placed this in config:

binary_sensor:
#broadlink ping
  - platform: ping
    name: broadlink ping
    host: [insert ip of device]
    count: 2
    scan_interval: 30

Edit: Nevermind, I jinxed it.

1 Like

I just noticed an additional problem: My RM mini3 disconnects, when the Wifi does not broadcasts it’s SSID. Does anybody have that too?

Whoever has a similar issue here my story.
I had a RM3 working flawless over a year. Since last weekend it is disconnecting from the network and doesn’t reconnect again. Only resetting it and pushing the wifi credentials let’s it stay in the network for some time of roughly ~ half an hour. sometimes longer, but after some time it drops out and simple doesn’t connect again. I have also set up a binary sensor to ping the device to see when it disconnects. Not helping though to keep it in the network. I didn’t change anything else on my network, so I very curious what might be the cause. Does anyone out there has a possible solution or fix? My backup options are to get a new RM3 or set up a diode and LIRC on a PiZero.

Trying added the rm3 mini a static ip address if you have not done it.

Update: I had a static IP address for the RM3. Today morning I changed to another fixed address on the router. So far the RM3 wasn’t kicked out and is online since more than 4h. I hope this fixed the issue.

I had a similar problem, where my Broadlink RM PRO+ became unavailable for about 7 minutes every hour.

When finding “Enable GTK rekeying every” set to 3600 seconds in my UniFi Controller, I realized I had probably found the reason at last. Turning the feature off solved the problem directly. Apparently, the Broadlink devices can’t handle GTK rekeying properly.

Turning a security feature off completely because one device has problems with it is not good practice though. I’ve instead created a virtual LAN with a wireless network without GTK rekeying just for the Broadlink device. This has the added bonus of making it very easy to block all Internet access to the devices connected to that network.

OMG, just found this… In the more recent Unifi UI this is no longer called “Enable GTK rekeying” - it looks like it’s named “Group Rekey Interval” now. Right beside it, there’s a toggle for PMF.

This actually explains why my older broadlink devices stopped working one day and could not be reconfigured to join my home network when I reset them.

2 Likes

I’m looking to follow your approach and move my RM-Mini3s onto a non-GTK rekeying network in line with your change (I also use Unifi) to cure their regular disconnect / reconnect cycle.
I originally joined them to my wifi network using Broadlink Manager without using a Broadlink account / app and they have no internet access as they are blocked from using firewall rules.

However now I don’t seem to be able to connect to either device to change their wifi network using Broadlink manager - did you reset your RM Pro+ to change it’s network or use another local-only tool you could point me to please?

1 Like

I reset my device and then used the Android app BroadLink -Universal TV Remote (beta) to a add it to the new network. The app failed after sending the network information to the remote, which was to be expected since the device wasn’t able to report to the BroadLink cloud service. The remote was however successfully added to the network, so I gave it a static IP address in the UniFi controller and could then communicate with it using the Broadlink integration of Home Assistant.

I was hoping to avoid a reset, but if that’s the necessary route to change SSID I’ll give the Broadlink Manager a whirl.

Thanks

I haven’t seen any other way to change the SSID in the device. Resetting isn’t much of a hassle though, since you’re not storing any IR or RF codes on the remote.

So I gave this a whirl this morning, but wound up reverting.
Moving the RM mini 3s to a non-GTK-rekeying network went fine, however as soon as I blocked internet access from that network they started their disconnect / reconnect cycle again. I double checked this by re-enabling internet access again from their network again which immediately stopped the disconnects. ​
Digging deeper, both of them are on firmware v44057 which I’ve seen flagged as suspect elsewhere.

I’ve no intention of granting them internet access or setting up a Broadlink account so for the meantime I’ve reverted my changes.
Longer term I’ll look to replace them with some LOOKin Remote2 devices if they deliver on the claimed functionality.

Hey, is this specific to ASUS routers in general or your specific faulty ASUS router? I have the AC2900 and my RM3 Pro keeps disconnecting every hour for about a minute.

I’m considering a router replacement but I don’t wanna end up buying a new ASUS router just to get the same result.

Thanks for your help.

was specific to my faulty device, went away after replacement.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!