šŸ”¹ Browser_mod - turn your browser into a controllable device, and a media_player

My popup-card has stopped displaying itā€™s content completely since upgrading from 2023.1 to 2023.4. Anyone know why? Iā€™m on the latest browser mod and do it like below. The card pops up, but the button card it contains no longer appears. I only get a title. I donā€™t see any changes in syntax on either card, so I canā€™t imagine whyā€¦

- type: custom:popup-card
    entity: sensor.trash_display
    title: "Trash Needs Taking Out"
    card:
      type: button
      name: I took it out!
      tap_action:
        action: call-service
        service: input_boolean.turn_off
        data:
          entity_id: input_boolean.trash_needs_taking_out
      entity: sensor.trash_display

When I first updated to HA 2023.4, Browser mod got brokenā€¦so I wound back to my proxmox backup and all worked again as it was.

I saw there was a Browser mod fix pushed out (2.2.1) which fixed things for 2023.4 and onwardsā€¦

So today I went to update HA, but only 2023.5 showing so went to that AND did the Browser Mod update as wellā€¦but still, the sidebar and menu bars can no longer be hiddenā€¦and even the interface to add/remove/turn on/turn offā€¦ donā€™t seem to workā€¦any changes arenā€™t reflected and if I try to delete one it still shows in the listā€¦even trying the nuclear option of removing the browser in question altogether doesnā€™t work either so ill be winding back again for now

Also having the issue again where i cannot slide in the sidebar from the left as I have always been able to do prior to these last few updatesā€¦is there something else I need to change to get this working againā€¦

Itā€™s explained pretty clear in the ReadMe. You updated from Browser_mod 1.5 to 2.0, which changes basically everything. You need to rework all your popups. There are other broken changes, so make sure to read all updated docs.

1 Like

its not the popups. and i came from 2.2 to 2.2.1

popups and everything else still work as expectedā€¦its just the headers and sidebars that arent hiding ā€¦oh and the sidebar cant be slid in from theft as it could prior to the HASS update

Dont get me wrong, there is every chance that its all the front end but thatā€™s the whole point of this thread and otehrs like it, to let people know there are issues

Iā€™m not responding to you, but to @scstraus, heā€™s having issues with popups content (because heā€™s not using the new parameters). You can see in my message I targeted him :wink:

2 Likes

so you did, apologiesā€¦replied on a phone so everything else was quite small

I have a popup that doesnā€™t show itā€™s contents:

show_name: true
show_icon: true
tap_action:
  action: fire-dom-event
  browser_mod:
    service: browser_mod.popup
    data:
      size: fullscreen
      dismissable: true
      autoclose: false
      title: Config
      content:
        tap_action:
          action: navigate
          navigation_path: /config/automation/dashboard
show_state: false
icon: mdi:electric-switch
icon_height: 50px

This one works (I donā€™t seem to find the reason)

show_name: true
show_icon: true
tap_action:
  browser_mod:
    data:
      dismissable: true
      autoclose: false
      title: Config
      content:
        type: entities
        entities:
          - light.office
show_state: false
icon: mdi:electric-switch
icon_height: 50px

It has worked before but after upgrading from v2023.4.2 to 2023.4.5 I cannot get it to work properly anymore.
Anyone who knows why it is like that and/or see what Iā€™m missing?

Any help is highly appreciated!

I have a problem with styling the browser_mod v2.2.1. Trying to make the background transparent but notice I have to change background-color in class

.mdc-dialog .mdc-dialog__surface {
    background-color: var(--mdc-theme-surface,#fff);
}
tap_action:
  browser_mod:
    autoclose: true
    size: normal                                    
    data:
       content:
          type: custom:vertical-stack-in-card
          style:
            .: >
              ha-card {
                --ha-card-background: #00000073;
                --mdc-theme-surface: transparent;
              }
           cards:

which is inside #shadow-root div as on photo.

Canā€™t figure that out and changing variables in the theme doesnā€™t work as well.

Can anyone help me with this?

Ok answering my own question as maybe will help someone.
I was trying to overcomplicate it when it was enough to carefully read the documentation to the end and add card_mod to style the popup.
So after small changes the transparent background works well.

tap_action:
  browser_mod:
    data:
       card_mod:
         style:
           ha-dialog$: |
             div.mdc-dialog div.mdc-dialog__surface {
                background-color: transparent;
             }
       content:
          style:
              ha-card {
              }
           cards:
1 Like

@thomasloven is it possible to use the dashboard view theme to style the popups? I have a theme specified for my dashboard view but when I try to put the colors variables there (i.e. ha-card-background, popup-background-color), it doesnā€™t work. It only works when I have those values in the global user HA theme which affects all the popup windows in HA. Styling every single browser_mod.popup call with card_mod is a bit of a pain

Just create a new yaml called popup_cardmod_style.yaml (or whatever you want) and then use it as an !include in your browser_mod card_mod :wink:

Create the .yaml file and paste there your card_mod style, in your case:

style:
           ha-dialog$: |
             div.mdc-dialog div.mdc-dialog__surface {
                background-color: transparent;
             }

Save the file, then use in your browser_mod code for card_mod (make sure to use your actual path/filename):

So like on your code:

tap_action:
  browser_mod:
    data:
       card_mod: !include /config/popup_cardmod_style.yaml
       content:
          style:
              ha-card {
              }
           cards:

I do this for the longest time for many UI elements and also allows me to change the style from one file, which updates then all popups that use that code. If you want different styles, just create separate yamls and include the one you want with the style :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea @ASNNetworks. Thx, will give it a go :slight_smile:

Oh just realised it works only when the dashboard is a yaml file but mine unfortunately is not at the moment :frowning: Fortunatelly migration seems not to be difficult :slight_smile:

Thx again @ASNNetworks it works fine but now have an issue with the standard more-info card just for one dashboard. How can I apply the same style to those popups? Do I need to set popup-background-color or mdc-theme-surface somewhere?

The standard more-info dialogs have nothing to do with brower_mod popups, so you canā€™t style those those this way.

For those you need to use card_mod inside your theme.yaml. When the dashboard uses that specific theme, it will apply the more-info dialog theme to the standard more info dialogs.

This thread is specifically made for that: šŸ”¹ Card-mod - Super-charge your themes! - #1410 by boheme61

There are lots of examples there to get the correct code to achieve what you want for the normal more-info dialog mods.

As far as I know, this is the only proper way to style the default more-info dialogs.

Ok great, will play with that and hopefully get that to work. Thx for help :slight_smile:

I am creating a pop_up screen for my dashboard and I use the ā€œsize: wideā€ option. This all works great on the desktop however on my mobile it makes me scroll left and right to see my whole content. When the ā€œsize: normalā€ is used, on the mobile it resizes so it doesnā€™t scroll left and right but then its small on the desktop.

Is there something Iā€™m doing wrong, does anyone else see this?

I use the following code:

tap_action:
  browser_mod:
    data:
      title: "HVAC Additional Data"
      size: wide
      content:
        type: vertical-stack
        cards:

Image of issue:

Maybe because the contents contain more pixels then the width of your display?

Possibly but when I set the ā€œsize: normalā€ in the code it resizes everything on the mobile such that I canā€™t scroll left and right. However on the desktop the popup is much smaller.

Iā€™ve noticed that ā€œtype: buttonā€ cards arenā€™t working right when I put them inside popups.

I would guess that changing the type from ā€œbuttonā€ to ā€œentitiesā€ is why your second example works, but the first one doesnā€™t.

1 Like

Actually I had v2.0 working fine for some time before this issue appeared. As far as I can tell, my syntax is perfect. It seems to be related to an issue that about 20 other people have been experiencing in the last month which makes it so that browser_mod is not able to render buttons on popups.

1 Like