šŸ”¹ Browser_mod - turn your browser into a controllable device, and a media_player

Anyone else have issues with browser_mod entities being set and depicted to not expose to Alexa, but still showing up in the Alexa app?

Does anyone know how to fix this? I have a map card I am using to popup. When I do so, I clock once I get the banner only. I close it. Then I click a second time and the map is displayed. It doesnā€™t load on the first click.

tap_action:
                  action: fire-dom-event
                  browser_mod:
                    command: popup
                    deviceID: this
                    title: xxxx Map
                    large: true
                    card:
                      type: map
                      entities:
                        - entity: device_tracker.xxxxx
                        - entity: zone.home
                      dark_mode: false
                      hours_to_show: 4
                      secondary_info: last-changed

Iā€™m trying to use browser_mod to change themes using a theme that includes a light and dark mode in one .yaml file per the instructions here. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m trying in the service call

service: browser_mod.set_theme
data:
  theme: iOS Theme
  dark: true

If I remove the dark: true and just change the name of the theme back and forth between two themes, the service call works, but the dark key does not seem to change anything. Has something changed about this syntax?

Is there anyway to use a current sensor value as the toast message or part of the toast message?

never mind, I figured it out

service: browser_mod.toast
data:

Hi all

I have installed and am using browser mod to stream my front door feed when some one rings the bell via a Home assistant automation. this works really well with safari on the mac.

the issue is im trying to also get it to stream to a raspberry pi and a 7" official pi display running chromium and I cant for the life of me understand why it wonā€™t work thereā€¦what am I missing?

this is the automation

alias: frontdoor bell video preview
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.2_front_door_doorbell
    to: 'on'
condition: []
action:
  - service: browser_mod.more_info
    data:
      entity_id: camera.frontdoor
      deviceID:
        - dashpi
        - mbp21
mode: single

I have the two separate idā€™s defined in my config

# browser mod
browser_mod:
  devices:
    add04b36-0238b896:
      name: mbp21
      camera: true
    f29fe704-52cxd7b3:
      name: dashpi
      camera: true

I added to my pi machine the browser mod player to get the id f29fe704-52cxd7b3 and triple checked it worked

any clues what im doing wrong?

best

Z

Did you solved it? I am facing same issue. I can always access on LAN, but mod is unavailable over Nabu cassa.

I have this issue and it is bugging me. My iPhone and iPad alway have the same browser id, but when I browse using safari at work or home it will always create a new browser id. I end up with dozens of ids.

If you mean ā€œdevice IDā€, then be carefull to avoid same ID for multiple devicesā€¦ device IDā€™s should be UNIQUE for each and every device. Thomas on his site warns about that:

You can also set a deviceID by adding ?deviceID=mydeviceID to the end of the URL youā€™re using to access Home Assistant. Be careful - I have no idea what could happen if several devices were to have the same ID. Use ?deviceID=clear to generate a new random one.

Take care to avoid deviceID collissions. Thereā€™s no telling what could happen if more devices share the same ID.

If you wish to always have the same ID on each of your devices, then you can set more ā€œhumanā€ ID yourself by adding this at the end of url address:

?deviceID=mydeviceID (say, 11111111-11111111)

I use url:

http://192.168.x.y:8123?deviceID=11111111-11111111 #for my phone
http://192.168.x.y:8123?deviceID=22222222-22222222 #for my tablet
etcā€¦

for my HA start address in my devices.That way each device has a unique id, but always the same one.

I think he is talking about to get the device list from browser_mod is getting longer and longer. Even if he is using only a few browsers and always the same. Same here.

Iā€™m deleting the integration from time to time if I reach 50+ devices and restart HA.

Yeah, i have a lot of them, too. You can disable creating them, though.
However, it should be good to know if itā€™s possible to disable creating new ones, but keep existing ones (those we acutally use).

Facing the same issue. Meanwhile I have around 25 devices unavailable restored=true.
And that even I delete the devices from time to time.
Very annoying

What I did is to identify the id of each device and set a name in the configuration like this:

browser_mod:
  prefix: "browser_mod_"
  devices:
    9471b60b-f008b275:
      name: browser_s22_joerg
      disable:
        - light
    e167a2b9_b5b72294:
      name: browser_s22_joerg_duckdns
      disable:
        - light

The fact that I sometimes sign in via duckdns and sometimes via Nabu Casa makes it a little more complex. I have a lot of devices to register (4 mobiles, 4 tablets, 3 notebooks)

That gives in minimum the overview, which device is used and which not.

I spended hours in order to correct and detect the devices by running through the house, activate the mobile app and look if it is the right one and register the id in configuration.yaml.

I neved did manage aliases to work flawlessly. I tried a couple of times, but i never figured it out what i should do in order for device to get alias instead ID numberā€¦ Some devices get alias, some donā€™tā€¦ HA restart doesnā€™t help, removing/adding browser mod doesnā€™t helpā€¦ so i pretty much gave up with aliases (for now).

I use my own domain, so i donā€™t need nabucasa, which makes identifying more simple. I just add above ā€œdeviceIDā€ at the end and it works. But, i wonder - if i login from, say, my phone locally or remotely - does this meands TWO devices or oneā€¦? Since Thomas in github page wrote that even login from chrome and from edge on the same device means TWO idā€™sā€¦

Locally or remote is one device as long as you do not change the user agent.

1 Like

This working for me. Previously I would have hundreds of devices over time. This keeps everything nice and clean.

In my configuration.yaml file I have

browser_mod:
  devices:
    c86ba069-562eb6b0:
      name: tablet_living_room
    e3cf9494-9ba03a9:
      name: tablet_kitchen
    a28f726b-3d47792b:
      name: tablet_master_bathroom
    e8a2438-f7289463:
      name: tablet_garage
    9ca5b327-9b9de86:
      name: tablet_office
    e449c2a6-fc69c5b2:
      name: tablet_rear_porch
  disable:
    - all

Basically there is an entry per table device.

On each device the home page url has a ?deviceID on the end. As an example the living room tablet has the home page url set to

http://my_hass_ip:8123/living_room/home?deviceID=c86ba069-562eb6b0

This is basically the old url plus ?deviceID=c86ba069-562eb6b0 on the end. This device ID matches what is in the configuration.yaml for the device.

The disable all in the configuration.yaml meants that devices are not created all the time.

Hope this helps someone.

That takes care of the multiple devices. I then have a group setup like this, Helpers > Group > Media player group. Then add each media player

Then in my automations when I want to make an announcement I just need

Where the entity (viewed in yaml mode) is

- conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id: front
        sequence:
          - service: tts.cloud_say
            data:
              cache: true
              entity_id: media_player.group_panel_announcements

All the tablets speak the announcement.

1 Like

anyone have any thoughts? canā€™t for the life of me figure this out.
im very new and would love hints on how to approach/debug this?

best

Z

Hello all

The browser_mod.navigate has always worked for me, but suddently (iā€™m not aware when it started), it doesnt. I have a navigation pane at the top of all pages, where each button with refresh the page with a diffent yaml page.

When I restart HA it doesnt work, but if I then refresh the page in Chrome or click ā€œgo to start URLā€ in Fully kiosk, it works again. There are no error messages in the logs pointing me in any direction of the problem.

Has anyone else come across this? I could of course do a browser_mod.window_reload after restarting, but that would be a workaround, not a solutionā€¦ so not much of a fan for this solution.

/Michael

I had the same issue. In addition popups did not work as well. Only after a page refreh (F5)
For me it helped to logoff from HA and start the front end again.
Yes, you have to adjust your settings again but after that action, a refresh wasnā€™t necessary anymore.

Yes, this is common behaviour, i guess. After Ha restart basically nothing with browser mod works - not navigate, not speechā€¦. nothing. You must refresh page in order to work again.
I solved this with automation which refreshes my tablets automatically after restart - i use fully kioskā€™s rest command for that. Since i use speech for warnings this is a must.