Brunt Blind Engine support or component?

https://brunt.co/en/be.html

These seem to work off wifi rather than rf or bluetooth. they have Alexa/GHome support, and look quite neat!
i’m considering placing an order,but haven’t found any info about HASS integration or compatibility, or even whether or not the units are cloud-tied.
Can anyone comment on their usefulness in the HASSiverse?

2 Likes

I would also be interested in this! Any update so far?

0.75 has support, so the release says. i’ve got a Blind Engine arriving tomorrow, so will test over the weekend and report back.

Hi Danpow,

How did you get on with these blinds?

@pretious I have installed the blind engine, and it works as it’s supposed to using the app.
I haven’t got it working in HASS as of yet - i keep getting some errors relating to brunt.py. I am investigating, and will report back.

Thanks Danpow,

I like the idea of these blinds, buy I want to make sure that they work with HA before buying them. Also, what do you think of them as a product? Are they quick enough? How noisy are they?

Hi danpow,

Have you had any success with these?

These are pretty cool… I have a few windows though, this could be costly!!

Their marketing dept need their head read, or a medal.

I give you - the Brunt plug! https://brunt.co/en/plug.html

That’s bloody hilarious!

I still don’t have the Brunt Blind Engine linked with HASS - i’ve put my error log on the hass github and in a forum topic, but there has been no pickup/insight as of yet.

To your other questions:
what do you think of them as a product?

• they are the neatest (reasonably priced) blind motor I have found to date. I believe they require cloud access, and they auto-update firmware on powerup. If you want to reset the up/down limits, you have to unpair/repair, which is a bit fiddly and time consuming. All in all, even without HASS integration as yet, I am happy with it. If i get HASS working with it, I will order more.
    Are they quick enough?
  • They are very gentle - my 1.8m drop blind takes about 15 to 20 seconds or so to unfurl. I thought that would feel slow, but it’s fine. It’s also a similar rpm as the cheap in-blind motors you find on ebay etc.
    How noisy are they?
  • They do make noise, no question, but they aren’t aggravating. It’s definately smooth-sounding, rather than clunky or rattley. Plus, i have them setup to open/close when i’m not in the room so it isn’t a big deal. From watching tutorials on getting in-blind motors up and running, or arduino / microcomputer diy shizz, the Brunt is quieter.
    Hope that info is useful.

If anyone feels they can offer insight to my install error:

Thanks danpow,

I really want to get some of these but I might wait for them to work with Hassio first. Is there a way of getting the right people to help get them working?

I got a response from the component developer. The problem relates to python versions below 3.6. I’m on 3.5, so will wait for a fix - which the developer has already pushed!
looks like possibly the next HASS rev will solve my problems. If you’re on python 3.6 or above though, the component should work without errors.

How do I check which python I am running? I don’t use it for anything.

i’m sure there are many ways; possibly check your hass log for references.
I navigated to srv/homeassistant/lib to find mine

it’s not necessarily important though - the dev has fixed the issue, and it will be merged in the next minor hass revision.

Hi all, I built the component for this as I’m running one of their Blind engines here, and I have mine working nicely, with some automations that set the closing % percentage based on the sun position and some other factors, you can see it in my git repo! Indeed the fix for Python < 3.6 is in the Dev branch of HA so should be out soon.

I can now confirm the brunt blind engine works in 0.77 with python 3.5. thanks @eavanvalkenburg :slight_smile:
@pretious - the integration with hass seems pretty solid. I’ve ordered a few more of the blind engines. Fingers crossed at some point they can be hacked for local only operation!

1 Like

Hi Danpow,

After your last post I ordered a couple of these blinds to see what they are like for myself, but I’m not having much luck. One of them is saying that it’s already connected to another user and Brunt are ignoring my messages, but that’s nothing that you could help me with. The second one works ok on the app but I can’t connect it with HA. Could you give me any pointers for getting the one that works ok connected with HA, I am using Hass.io, and from what I read Hass.io always keeps python up to date, so I am assuming that I’m using the latest version, I have added this script to my config file;

cover:

• platform: brunt
    username: BRUNT_MyUserName
    password: BRUNT_MyPassword

but I’m getting this error;

try without the ‘BRUNT_’ in front of your credentials.

Hi danpow,

That’s worked!! I’m up and running, thanks.

2 Likes

Can anyone advise on this please?

Thanks

it looks like the last line of the error - client forbidden - is the problem. check your syntax, check the blind engine works on the app, and go from there.