Bwalarm (akasma74 edition)

Cheers, I noticed someone mentioned HACS in the custom_updater FR recently and even went to its Github page to have a look, but haven’t went any deeper.
As I only have a handful of this-party components, the update process doesn’t bother me much, but it might change soon…

It’s a great news that it’s already included and the update process is easy. Hope it’s not always automatic as I’m about to roll out something potentially dangerous :wink:

I didn’t get it… the panel? Yes, it’s in /config/panel/alarm.html but uses its own versioning (I’m strongly considering removal of all version info from the code but not quite sure what substitute it with…)

So why do I have an older version of the panel if I have the latest version of bwalarm?

Only God knows why as the “installation” process is manual and basically consists of the following (as per docs):
copy alarm_control_panel.py in /config/custom_components/bwalarm/
copy alarm.html in /config/panel/
and some bits & bobs to /config/www

you most likely didn’t do the second one.

The installation process isn’t manual with HACS though. Which is why I asked if the panel was included:

Well, as I said I only recently noticed that there is such thing as HACS.
And I’m not the one who added it to HACS :wink:
Quickly looked at their docs and still have no idea what did he mean by “added to HACS”…
I take it that HACS just scans your configuration and looks for an appropriate repositories (unless you add a custom repository).

So I don’t know why part of your system is updated and another one isn’t, presume it’s down to HACS and its config.

i added the your repo to as a custom repository, everyone needs to do this, its not in by default.
If the repository complies with HACS requirements it lets you update the custom component/lovelace plugin without having to manually download the files

More info on HACS. Custom Component: HACS

For what it’s worth, the panel you have was the best looking version

1 Like

I’m a bit confused as @tom_l said

And do you have any ideas why

is this happening?

@sparkydave I believe it’s not that difficult to change, but what exactly do you like in that version?

HACS does all the heavy lifting of copying the files down for you when there is an update. its the replacement for the custom_updater component.

Please don’t :slight_smile:
This collection(?) is to unique for HACS to handle, if added it would only handle the component part of it, not the rest (under panel/www).

@AhmadK This may give you some trouble, if you want I can block the repo in HACS so it’s not possible to add it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks ludeeus, good to know it wont handle the panels stuff

I’ve just made a v1.5.0a pre-release available on Github.

Please read the release notes and feel free to test it, but don’t forget to back up your system first (INCLUDING alarm.yaml !) as it might be helpful to have them for debug purposes.
I’d suggest to remove alarm.json as well.
Feel free to open a new issue/PM me if required.

And keep in mind that at the moment it is NOT possible to have it updated via HACS, you need to do it manually… but we’re almost there, thanks to @ludeeus

Hello Community. I’m new to HA (using HASSIO on Ubuntu) and trying to understand the options to using it as a security system. I have an ADT alarm with the Envisalink3 and some Z-Wave sensors throughout the house all working in HA. What is the difference between this project and the simple Alarm Card I see in the Lovelace UI? Does this component work inside the existing UI, or is it intended to be stand-alone?

It looks really cool :slight_smile:

Any insight the community can provide will be really helpful. I did read through the original thread and that’s how I ended up here. There is just so much content our there its overwhelming.

TIA!

Well, it’s a HA component that implements a logic of security system (presume it’s an extension of Manual Alarm Control Panel).
Once you define what sensors trigger it and other things like entry/exit time for various armed modes, it makes the rest.
You need to provide actions on it changing its state: for example, if you want to get a notification when it’s triggered, add automation with a state trigger.
Same way you add automations that switch on a siren when it’s triggered and switch it off when it’s disarmed.

You can use this component alone as it has all services to control and also supports MQTT.
But tit also has a HA GUI panel that acts as an interface to the component and does all that one needs to control it.

Hope it explains something.
I’m not familiar with commercial alarms/sensors, but some in this topic are so feel free to ask.

Thanks AhmadK! That’s very helpful. I’m going to give it a try!

hi there.
how to solve this?

its my first install

by providing as much information as possible (hint - it said something about logs).
preferably by opening a new issue here

There is v.1.6.0b available
The key change - it’s ready for HACS and will become be supported in the next HACS release!
For more details please read release notes.

Wait what?
Did you submit this to HA? why bother adding support for HACS if you are doing that?

I registered my component as you had advised me here after releasing the restructured component, nothing else.