Bwalarm (akasma74 edition)

If you have replied to this post or if you click this button and set it to ‘Tracking’ , the topic will appear in the “Unread” topic list (at the top of the forum, menu next to your profile avatar) when there are new posts.

Hi AhmadK,

Just a quick question, Manzn and I are building a Node Red front end for Yet another alarm Panel which turn the alarm on and off via MQTT. If I arm the alarm via MQTT and I have open sensors does it put those sensors in override mode or will it allow that sensor to trigger the alarm?

Thanks,

Ben

It will do neither of those things. It will enter the warning state which can be used to trigger this automation:

- id: alarm_warning
  alias: '[Alarm] Warning'
  hide_entity: true
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
    to: warning

Do I get it right that your scenario is: one wants to arm the alarm, but one of the sensors is in “active” state (open, detected etc)?

As far as I understand there is no override mode per se, override means the panel will arm despite that sensor’s active state. I presume if that remains in such a state until the alarm is armed, it will trigger the alarm.
And it will trigger if at any point of time the sensor’s state changes to active.
So my answer is it will allow that sensor to trigger the alarm.

Except it won’t arm, so it won’t trigger. Read my post above.

I’ve had sensors ‘stuck’ in a detected state many times (they required someone walking past or sometimes a power cycle to reset them) and was able to arm the alarm by tapping ‘override’. The system does allow it and does not trigger the alarm

It will if you choose ‘override’ or call arm_xxx with code = ‘override’.

I’d say if that sensor doesn’t change its state to active when the alarm is armed, it won’t trigger the alarm.

So I am still unsure what will happen… According to @tom_l it will go into warning state and not arm… I will hook a sensor and see what happens.

I’m about to test it by waving my arms madly under a non delayed PIR and aarming the alarm at the same time. Just finishing my breakfast first. Will let you know what happens.

Can confirm this feature:

Notification of Open Sensors with the option to override

No longer seems to be functioning. The alarm just arms right away.

Unless I have the override enabled but I cant seem to find the location of this setting.

@tom_l when I arm my alarm with sensors active (detected) i receive the Open Sensors Found override or cancel. are you not seeing this?

Yeah I’m not seeing it, and I expected to.

very weird. I have never seen a option to disable it

It’s probably because I was arming from a Lovelace card.

I assume you’re seeing the warning in the main panel?

yes i was… I also dont receive the warning from lovelace. This is what makes me wonder if it overrides them or not.

Looks like it is only a function of the custom panel. So I would say no.

do you think it would my post below would be work?

Yes, that’s the difference between arming from Lovelace alarm panel or the component’s panel - the latter is much more functional and a fair bit of processing/functionality is in alarm.html, which is obviously bypassed when using Lovelace card.
I can confirm that you can see those Override/cancel buttons when arming via web interface, but it just arms the alarm from Lovelace alarm card (I happen to have both atm).

I’m not quite sure that I got your idea right… do you want to dynamically update override section of the alarm component?
If so, it might require forcing the fronted to reload configuration from alarm.yaml and maybe something else.
Could you explain briefly here what is the main point of creating that Node Red Panel as I couldn’t fully get it from the topic you referred us to… ;\

Awesome news you picked this up, I was pretty devastated when I upgraded only to find a broken alarm, and a potentially frustrated wife that I broke it fiddling “again”

One day I’ll learn updating almost never fixes the problem I have and often just causes new problems, although I did get access to the new iOS app to play with which is cool.

Love the idea on disabling a sensor if it’s open when the alarm is activated.

In my experience it would arm the alarm anyway, and 70% of the time I would be fine, the other 30% for whatever reason my cheap Xiaomi sensors would change or update state to the same and trip the alarm randomly (always door/window sensors)

I’m going to try and upgrade to the new code tonight.

I particularly like the second part :wink:

yeah, there are bugs everywhere, it’s just about your luck how many you personally will stumble upon.
a great rule; have a backup and roll back as soon as you’re in troubles, easy!

You mean “override” prompt who you arm the alarm? It’s handy, especially with PIRs next to the entrance door, I presume that’s exactly why we have this feature.

Only when you click on “Override”, check this discussion for more details.

Good luck with your upgrade, don’t forget to read the instructions.