Camera from Scrypted in Home Assistant

Hello from Germany,

first of all, cause this is my first topic here i would like to say HELLO to the Community and i’m very impressed how much information can be found here. I was reading for some weeks now and build up my own home assistant and acctualy i’m creating my dashboard but there is one more thing which is not working as expected: Cameras in Home Assistant / Dashboard. I have several Reolink 4K Cameras installed outside of my house and i used the HACS Reolink Integration for adding them to home assistant. Everything is fine until here but when it comes to live view most of the time my home assistant is crashing - only if I use the substream of the cam its working but there is a delay of round about 10 seconds from what is happening on the live view compared to reality.
Maybee i can solve that problem with an Add-On which is allready installed and working very good in Homekit: Skrypted. As mentioned I have installed it as an Add-On in Home Assistant and configured all my Cameras and within Skrypted the live view is perfect. Very fast and at the moment I’m using that solution for having all my cameras available in Apple Home and Homekit Secure Video.
So because this is working perfect i was thinking about a solution of accessing these Cameras from Sktypted in Home Assistant. Is there maybee a plugin for Skrypted which is sending the Camera as an entity to Home Assistant - nearly the same as the Homekit Plugin for Skypted does?
Hope you unterstand what I was trying to explain :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having exactly the same question.

As Scrypted makes the camera’s available as Homekit-compatible devices, I was thinking I could use the HomeKit Controller to get them into HomeAssistant.
The integration does discover Scrypted devices, but strangely enough only the Scrypted server (“Scrypted CED6”), with one entity “identify”, not sure what I could do with that,

I’m however not sure if a camera can be connected to 2 controllers, so I’m not sure if this is a feasible direction.

Would love to hear from some experts here if there is a way to do this.

1 Like

Possibly because homekit controller doesn’t support cameras according to the page you linked to.

Your are right!

I tried to use the rebroadcast URL’s from Scrypted, and use these to add a generic camera to Home Assistant. That worked!

1 Like

I’m trying to do the same but having issues. Are you able to share how you did this please? I’ve added the generic camera integration and entered the rtsp address in the stream source URL.

Which transport protocol did you use? And which authentication method did you use? I keep getting timeout error l.

You have to use the rebroadcast URL for the stream and not the base rebroadcast URL. You can find in Scrypted in the camera settings/stream and then click on the specific stream. Of course replace localhost with the URL of the scrypted server.
It uses rtsp and no authentication.

2 Likes

Thank you, much appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 17.27.28
Sorry to dig this back up, I thought I had it working but It wasn’t. what RTSP transport protocol did you select? or did you leave it blank? I keep getting ‘timeout while loading URL’ when trying to add the cameras.

No problem. I left it blank, but I just checked and it also works if I select TCP.

The streaming URL should start with rtsp:// and of course the correct port should be included in the URL.

Did you also enter an URL for the still image/snapshot? That should start with http://

For 1 camera I use the Scrypted Webhook plugin to generate the snapshot URL.
For the other one the snapshot URL of the camera itself.

To be sure that the URL’s are correct you can try if they work with VLC player.

This works al pretty good, although not instantly like it works on my iPhone/Mac using the Scrypted Homekit plugin. Home Assistant also introduces an additional 6 (!) seconds delay.

Would love to find out how I could get this just as snappy in Home Assistant.

2 Likes

Thank you! That seems to be working now. What card do you use for these entities in the front end? I’m using a picture element card atm using the live function but it seems pretty CPU intensive.

Yes, I’m using the picture element card as well.
I’m not experiencing high CPU usage, just long lag time, put to 6 - 15 seconds, while this is 1 second via HomeBridge.

Many thanks for that solution - that works for me too!!

One Step back :frowning:

For my 24h Cameras its working fine but these cameras can be integrated directly in Home Assistant and with WebRTC they are fluent as well. I was not trying to integrate my Ring Doorbell Camera in Scrypted which was also no problem and Rebroadcast them to Home Assistant to have a Live View on Demand in Home Assistant Dashboard. I’m aware that when i set it up as a glance Card with Camera Option “Live” a permanent Stream to Ring Cloud is established and I wont get any movement informations from the camera.
Therefor I was hoping to Use the “Auto” Option from the glance card so the “Thumbnail” of the Cam is refreshing every 10 seconds and only if i click on the Camera it comes up with live View. Thats also fine and with rebroadcast from Scrypted to Home Assistant that is possible BUT: The RTSP Stream Connection of the Ring stays open even if i close the live view Window in Home Assistant. That ends up in permanent recording of the Ring - so mainly the same as i’ve i would show a Live with all the time…
Prebuffer is off on Scrypted thats not the issue.

Any idea

Where did you find the screenshot URL? I installed webhooks and went to the camera and added camera to the webhooks - i tried getPicture at the end of the URL… What am I missing?

Yeah, that is not straightforward.
After you have added the camera to the webhook plugin, you can go to the settings of the camera and then select the web hook-tab.

There you use the pulldown-box that says “create webhook” and select “camera” and then push save. As shown in the instruction, you can then find the URL-details in the console window of the camera.

4 Likes

@Bikey I have gone into the console, copy/pasted the content out, searched for webhook and located the ‘insecure local base url’ to get the snapshot. When I add that Generic Camera setup, I get the following error:

Any ideas?

Did you add /takePicture to the URL as can be read in the instructions in the console?
If so you can also try the URL in your browser, you should see a snapshot.

3 Likes

DOH! I didnt add that part. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Working perfectly.

Now to try and do the same for a doorbell from Scyprted…

Hi,
I already integrated my RTSP on camera integration of home assistant: I have to remove it before to setup the same camera on Scrypted on the same Home assistant?

How are you able to get the URL of the image? I’ve installed the web hook plugin and enabled it but I don’t see it provide any URL.