Camera support for HomeKit component

Support from the plugin with HA, not the homebridge service. I still have a standalone instance of HomeBridge that I use with native plugins for Netatmo, Nest, Wemo, TPLink and for the rest I use HomeKit in HA. My HA and HomeBridge are on separate machines.

Hope this helps.

MB

Yeah the component is working but will not be updated, don’t know if you can get cameras working with it though. I’m running Hassio on Windows in Virtualbox, so i have homebridge running as a seperate service in windows, only way to run both on a Pi is probably via Hassbian.

1 Like

Thanks for that.
I had two raspberry pi till late 2017 running HA and Homebridge separately. The component was godsend. Hope the camera integration into HA happens soon

1 Like

I’ve got home assistant installed on a PI for forwarding my old TCP Connected bulbs to HomeKit. I’d like to use it to forward my IP camera to HomeKit too.

Looks like there is a TCP Connected plugin for Homebridge so I think I’ll be swapping my PI to HomeBridge v. soon.

:expressionless:

Same problem here. I am using a legacy Android phone as IP camera and I can add it easily to HA. But I cannot see it on Homekit. With Homebridge it works instead. So I use HA and homebridge at this point.

Same issue for me. I’ve been holding out hope since November on this coming together on HA, by now I’m just planing on getting a second Pi to run HomeBridge solely and specifically for ffmpeg, so I can get my cameras to show in HomeKit. Speaking of which, do you guys think a Pi Zero would be too weak as a machine running HomeBridge solely for the purpose of using ffmpeg to get my cams into HomeKit?

pyhap now has Camera support! I’m excited for this feature to be in HA as well :smiley:

2 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Looking forward to :+1:

I’m excited to see this functionality added also! I’m currently running a standalone homebridge instance just for cameras.

Was also looking forward to this - have added one of my camera feeds that exists within my HA installation to the HK exported devices, but it doesn’t appear in HK. Is there anything else I need to do?? - I’m using v0.92.2

HA cameras cannot been seen in Homekit yet. You can use Homebridge for this instead.

1 Like

Any updates? :slight_smile:

I setup homebridge camera ffmpeg yesterday after watching apple’s keynote and I was so impressed compared to the stream component. (To be honest, I think I will move my ios front end from the ios beta app to homekit. My wife already uses homekit exclusively and the ios app is only for location services. It is so much faster and only two buttons / 2 sec to control HA compared to 30 secs for the ios app. )

Apple keynote said that homekit camera will all have 10 days free storage in icloud and the hubs will process all motion detection services to come in the fall.

I put essentially HA ffmpeg camera setups for my dahua nvr into homebridge and change the nvr stream to D1 as I found it better speed than 720p with no quality difference on my iphone. I also setup a crons job to take a snapshot (ffmpeg command) every minute and put it my HA www directory so homebridge can use that as the homekit camera stills. This way the stills on the iphone are to date every minute. I might change it to every 10 sec as it appears the iphone updates that request that often. The still image is only 35k and appears to only update while I’m looking at it.

crons job still command

*/1 * * * * /opt/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -rtsp_transport tcp -i “rtsp://xxx:[email protected]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0” -y -vframes 1 -vf scale=420:270

homebridge setup

{
        "bridge": {
                "name": "Homebridge",
                "username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30",
                "port": 51826,
                "pin": "111-22-333"
        },

"description": "descrip",

"accessories": [],
        "platforms": [{
                "platform": "Camera-ffmpeg",
                "cameras": [{
                        "name": "Pool",
                        "videoConfig": {
                                "source": "-re -i rtsp://xxx:[email protected]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1",
                                "stillImageSource": "-i http://192.168.2.150:8123/local/CAM1.gif"
                                }
                        },

{
                        "name": "Backdoor",
                                "source": "-re -i rtsp://xxx:[email protected]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=4&subtype=1",
                                "stillImageSource": "-i  http://192.168.2.150:8123/local/CAM4.gif"
                                }
			},
                        {
                        "name": "Front",
                                "source": "-re -i rtsp://xxx:[email protected]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=3&subtype=1",
                                "stillImageSource": "-i http://192.168.2.150:8123/local/CAM3.gif"     
                                }
                        },

{
                        "name": "Driveway",
                                "source": "-re -i rtsp://xxx:[email protected]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=2&subtype=1",
                                "stillImageSource": "-i http://192.168.2.150:8123/local/CAM2.gif"     
                                }
                        }
         ]}]
}

As HA doesn’t stream cameras to HK, I also implemented my cameras via the Homebridge ffmpeg component. Works well.
I use HK as my internet connection into to HA components I wish to see outside the home. This inherently uses the Apple security. HA is not enabled for internet access.

Do you mean you can’t see your cameras outside your home wifi? I use my Apple TV 4 as a homekit hub and I can see the camera’s created above outside my home wifi using only my lan ip address.

Likewise, I can see the cameras outside my home now using HK and my Apple TV as a hub.

Still hoping for HA HomeKit camera support (ideally with the new HomeKit Secure Video support)

5 Likes

+1

would be really great if the camera works with the homekit integratione of HA directly :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 HA cameras in HK, pleaseee.

1 Like

what work is pending for this? maybe someone can help myself included?

1 Like