Camera support for HomeKit component

The cameras integrated with HA are not visible in Homekit. Other entities yes, but no cameras. With HomeBridge it works, you can see you camera in your apple watch if you want. But no with HA.

yes aware, what i meant with my question is, what development work is missing in the homekit component within HA to add the cameras?

1 Like

Would it be possible to show the Ring component camera in the Homekit app? I managed to get the doorbell and motion sensor working, but the camera is only visible on the Home Assistant Overview, not in the HomeKit app.

Any chance to get HomeKit cameras discovered and working in HA?
My camera ( D-LINK OMNA CAMERA 180) has also motion sensor and this does not appear in HA.
I do not like to use Home or other 3’rd party app on my phone to see/control my camera when I can have everything in HA app.
What needs to be done? can I help?

Hi everyone. During the last moths my personal life has gotten a lot more demanding to the point that I haven’t been able to contribute anything to Home Assistant lately. Unfortunately this won’t change much in the future. Because of that, I have decided that it’s best for us as a community to hand over code ownership for the HomeKit integration. I really hope someone else picks that up soon and continues the work many other and I have started.

To everyone waiting for the camera support: I’m really sorry I couldn’t manage to implement this in time. I know how much you all wanted this feature.

And to everyone who contributed code, helped during development, did code reviews and opened bug reports: Thanks for all your support along the way! Without you the integration would never have gotten to the point it is today.

Lastly a huge thanks to @ikalchev who created the library necessary for it to work in the first place and @balloob for your continued support especially during the early days.

10 Likes

Hi @cdce8p, any news on this? Any expert programmer will follow up on this. Unfortunately my HA knowledge is very limited.

Thanks!

Any update on Homkit Camera support?

Im in split minds between switching back to homebridge or waiting for the camera support to come through via official means in hassio.

Does anyone know if you can run homebridge and Hassio HomeKit at the same time?

Hi - I run both at the same time, but in separate docker containers. Both systems send messages to the central Apple Homekit hub without interfering. I wouldn’t wait for HA Homekit camera function - looking at the dialogue here it will never happen.

1 Like

I’ve got both running simultaneously…on separate Pi’s. It’s kind of clunky but it works. I too wish Homekit camera support would come to HA so I could eliminate that second Pi, but in the meantime you can run both.

Generally yes you can run both simultaneously especially on Pi3 B+ and Pi4 the hardware is strong enough, however I had some problems when I was experimenting:

I use an Aeon Gen5 USB stick for Z-Wave network and a Conbee USB stick for Zigbee network. Additionally I also use the Pi’s built-in Bluetooth for fetching data transmitted by some BLE devices (Xiaomi thermometer). In all cases either HA or HomeBridge or sometimes neither of them were able to access these devices. Maybe it would be possible to find a workaround with some permission or user rights to access bluetooth and serial ports simultaneously, but I have to admit I am not a Linux expert and I was not able to sort this out so I decided to use one Pi for HA and another one for HomeBridge.

As long as you only communicate with WiFi network devices there should be no problem to run HA and HB at the same time.

I use scrypted on the shield TV or Android phone with yi camera with rtsp.

Do you mean both home bridge and Hassio running on the same single Raspberry Pi unit? If so do you have any instructions about how to do it? Thanks in advance

Hi

these links were also useful for node.js - https://github.com/nodesource/distributions/blob/master/README.md#debinstall and for plugins - https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

Would you share your configuration please or more information? How can you run HomeKit and homebridge on the same device?

see earlier reply - each application runs in a separate docker container and share the host network, so use ‘–net host’ on the docker run command line when creating the container.

how would I install this on hassio?

You can not install this on Hassio, you install homebridge on docker. Homebridge has virtually nothing to do with HA or Hassio. It is a completely different system. Homebridge is like HA or OpenHAB, but specialized in Apple products.

If you know your way around Home Assistant a little I will advise you to completely ditch Homekit (except for Siri). I have a ton of reasons as to why you should move away from Homekit but obviously that is a personal preference. Good luck!

Edit: Home Assistant can look pretty much like Homekit does if you want it to:

1 Like

@jimz011, those are some impressive-looking screenshots! Is that your setup? Any chance there’s a way you could share the theme/lovelace code to get the tiles to show up like that?

Yes this is my production setup and Yes I can show you, however I will warn you it is not for beginners :joy:. (At least not yet, I will release an easier setup in the future).

Forum thread:

Github repo:

Everything needed to run this setup is on my repo. There are video’s as well, just keep in mind that the videos are two months old and That the setup has changed quite a bit (in terms of theming and optimizations)