Can a Tapo switch be used with ESPHome or Tasmota?

I have a number of redundant Tapo P100 switches. I’d like to use them in a new HA installation, but it will not have regular internet access.
Sadly, Tapo switches won’t initialize without being able to access the Tapo cloud. Is it possible to refresh them with either ESPHome (preferred) or Tasmota?

If they are anything like the Tapo P110 plugs, it looks like they only need to be initialized once, and then can be cut off from the internet - see here for more details:

FYI, you may want to edit your topic title, it is currently asking about taco switches :taco::wink:

1 Like

That was my understanding, but when I tried it this afternoon, they initialized OK when internet was connected, but sat there waiting for internet when the latter was off. It may be ntp. The app controls them OK, but not HA

Thanks for the heads on the title. Spellcheck problems.

EDITED: Added more information after more reading up on the subject.
…and again for typo.

Are you using the TPLink/Tapo integration?

There is also another integration, specifically for the Tapo line:

Both apparently work, although it looks like just earlier today, someone in the Tapo P100 thread mentioned having issues:

RE flashing them to Tasmota/ESPHome, it looks like they are using a Realtek Ameba Z2 RTL8720CF
Single PCB, which is not compatible☹️

Thanks for the great response and the links.

I’m using the custom integration, and I think that’s where the problem lies. As I said, I can control the switches using the app when my phone is connected to the LAN with no internet access, so it’s not the switches per se.

When I’m back on site, I’ll dump the logs and see what errors are being reported: if any.

Shame about the internal design of the P110. It would be nice to migrate everything to ESPHome.

I think I’ve found the source of my problem.
From the docs for the custom integration:

Local Integration

Although the integration works using LAN, the tapo device needs internet access to synchronize with tapo cloud, especially for credentials, a missing internet access could lead into "Invalid authentication error". A static IP must be set for device.

So, although the switches don’t need the internet once they’ve been setup; the integration does.

I’ve created a feature request.