Can bus connection for my stiebel eltron heat pump

Hi guys and girls,

first: “respect and thank you for all your good and hard work”. I’m reading a lot here and it sounds like really good work.

Now it’s time to ask my own questions, because I can’t find responses for me here. (perhaps I cant find it)

I what to connect my new Stiebel Eltron heatpump “HSBC 300 cool” with my homeassistant. I found a described solution with ESPHome (and MCP2515) here over can bus and a solution with the ISG Web and modbus here . Both solutions sounds good and are working, but both have some weakness for me.

The second solution with the ISG means to spend a lot of money. The ISG hardware cost multiple hundred euros. That’s to much for me for my hobby. Or Is there any place where I can buy for a small budget? The first solutions with ESP sounds like a lot of manually work, because I don’t know where I can buy any ready for working ESP-CANBus-Hardware. or where I can buy it? So I must buy a lot separate hardware components.After that, I must build them together and hope all components a compatible together and nothing is damaged.

Currently I had started with a simple USB-CAN-adapter (for 25 euro) from amazon. After I put into my raspberry, homeassistant (OS) found it. After installation GitHub - dries007/HA_EnableCAN: Home Assistant CAN bus enabler addon I can start and use it directly after booting homeassistant and some python can libraries. Now after understanding the protocol and the received bytes, I can read the first correct value (“outside temperature”) from my headpump. But Its only the first value. There are a lot of more values and later I want to write (and control) some values. It’s sound like a lot of work. So I ask me: Some code and the knowledge is also there in the ESP project. Is it really needed to “clone” the code and modify it? This sounds like a full re-developing and means a lot of work. Is there any easier and faster way to use my USB-Device and connect my heatpump.

What do you say? What is your opinion for my current situation? perhaps there is a solution but I can’t find it.