Can I Get My Energy Consumption from PSEG Into Home Assistant?

@KruseLuds – Thanks for the info. So far a number of ideas, but not much progress.

Your meter is same GridStream family but slightly different. The part on the lower right might be IR (infrared) LEDs that you can get pulses from to track consumption with an IR detector. I think in Europe that’s called a P1 port. People have built custom pickups for that. However if your meter is outside, you probably don’t want to deal with trying to make something nice and weather proof. My meter unfortunately doesn’t have that.

For PSEG in NJ, can you tell what 3rd party they are using as the portal for your usage data? For PSEG Long Island, they refer to it as “My Smart Energy”. That is actually a SaaS product “MyMeter” from Accelerated Innovations LLC. The footer on the page says “Powered by mymeter”. Would be interesting to know if the other PSEG entities use the same service or different ones.

If MyMeter gets figured out, and we wound up with a similar implementation to Opower that would probably cover a number of utilities that use MyMeter instead of Opower. I don’t know how many there are.

I was able to make a little progress using rtl_433 to read the 900mhz transmissions from my meter and others in the neighborhood. Unfortunately while a number of people have taken a crack at decoding, no one has figured out how to get the usage data. The meter IDs that match the numbers/barcode on the meter face match. There is uptime data, which can tell you how long the meter has been powered up (i.e. how much time has elapsed since the last time the meter lost power). Lots of details in this issue: Add support for Landis+Gyr G5 Integrated FOCUS AXe Power Meter · Issue #2531 · merbanan/rtl_433 · GitHub

It looks like someone was able to get consumption for intervals from UtilityAPI, but no idea whether that is possible with the various PSEG***.

Linking it here: Utility Company API - #10 by TokugawaHeavy

Heads up, If you do want be able to back fill your utility data into Home Assistant make sure to download hourly data every few months.

PSEG Long Island (PSEGLI) now only provides data downloads for intervals smaller than a day for the last 13 months. Daily data is available for a number of years. This changed sometime in the last year or so.

I’m currently experimenting with this integration that makes it easy to upload data. The PSEG (LI) data needs some massaging to get it into an importable form.

That is interesting idea. I ended up buying cheap z-wave meter and hooked to the panel, but it would be nice to also pull from utilities as cross reference.
When I called them about API, I was kindly asked to go away :frowning:

@Tomek985 - would you share which device you went with for the meter? anything else to flag?

PSEG uses a 3rd party customer dashboard for detailed usage called Bidgely. Much like Opower, Bidgely provides this service to many utility companies.
https://pseg.bidgely.com/dashboard/home

I guess it depends which PSEG* you are talking about. NY/NJ refer to their dashboard as “My Smart Meter”, which is provided by SaaS solution called “MyMeter” from Accelerated Innovations LLC. https://acceleratedinnovations.com/

2 Likes

I went with this one:

Already have z-wave so it was easy add. I didn’t need latest and greatest chip.
Warning though, you need to be comfortable to route leads into the panel

The PSE&G NJ “AMI Gate” department never got back to me when she said would check with their measurement department… I have emailed the [email protected] shown on their website as the contact…

Clever solution, evidently these meters can all talk to each other in a mesh network so my measurements end up being conncted to a router on the other end that may be far away from my home.

We will see what I might be able to learn from them.

Notice the picture of my meter if you zoom in, on the top right it says “zigbee”…

Regarding ZigBee in the meter

The terminology used by the industry for letting you read data from the meter is “Home Area Network” or HAN – Google smart meter "home area network" (Or HAN)

In this case the meter is the ZigBee controller. The utility can enable your certified ZigBee HAN device to pair with the meter.

Here’s an old Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/b65pdr/smart_utility_meters_zigbee/

Seems at least one utility is already sunsetting that capability: Heads Up: San Diego Gas & Electric is ditching HAN for smart meters

Regarding receiving the meter mesh network

A number of people have made progress receiving messages sent by their meter and meters in their neighborhood with SDRs. See Landis+Gyr GridStream Protocol - RECESSIM

I was able to capture and decode a bunch of the messages with rtl_433 and an RTL-SDR following other people’s work. The meter MAC addresses match. the uptimes match. I was able to figure out the correct CRC for PSEGLI.

But so far no one has been able to find and crack the usage data. It might be that these are being transmitted at a higher data rate that requires more bandwidth, different encoding, etc.

I have numerous Shelly devices and decided just to go with this which natively integrates into the Home Assistant ecosystem (graphs, energy panel, etc.) and is very inexpensive -

https://www.shelly.com/en-us/products/shop/shelly-em-120a

I’ll post results here later after I have received it and have some related data (It will be interesting to compare to the usage shown on my bill as well)…

My account also uses MyMeter, but I noticed another possible data integration offered. Every month I receive this email from PSEG which summarizes my usage. When I click on any links in this email it brings me to a Bidgely dashboard. I wonder if PSEG sends usage data to Bidgely.

That’s interesting - though if it is available on my account I haven’t found it yet. I get a weekly email with a bar chart of daily total kWh usage.

Where does the per-appliance metering come from? Do you have sensors that they have access to?