Can someone help me with replacing a ZWave device

Hi,

I have a zwave device that I need to replace. I have searched the web and this forum and cannot find the how to. I just need to replace it with a new device so that I don’t have to go into each Automation and remove the old one and add the new one. Is there a replace ZWave function in HA or Z-Wave JS. I cannot find it and I am sure it’s right in front of my eyes.

if its the same device, it’s quiet easy.

write down the old device name
exclude old device
include new device
before making any changes, right after the include, rename it with the old name.
done

1 Like

There’s no Replace Device (Node) functionality in HA. You would need to switch to Z-Wave JS UI to do that.

1 Like

You need to use the Z-Wave JS UI addon in order to replace a failed node. This feature is not available natively in Home Assistant or in the Z-Wave JS Integration. You simply click replace and the new node gets included with the old node id.

Here’s what you you should see inside the Z-Wave JS UI control panel.

Thanks for the fast response! I didn’t even know about Z-Wave JS UI. I am assuming there are other items here that would actually help. Couple of questions on JS UI. Does this replace Z-Wave JS or can I run JS UI on top? Also, it looks like it runs on a docker? Can I run this on my Home Assistant server, or is it wise to run this on a docker via a separate server? Again, any help is much appreciated.

Does this replace Z-Wave JS or can I run JS UI on top?

You cannot run both addons at the same time. This is because only one program can have access to the USB at a time. Z-Wave JS and Z-Wave JS UI use the exact same driver so when you connect them to the Z-Wave JS Integration you will get the exact same set of settings and so on. There are at least 15 improvements/features that you get with Z-Wave JS UI.

To migrate over simply copy your security keys into Z-Wave JS UI then connect to your USB stick. All of your devices are stored on your USB stick so they will populate automatically. You will need to wake up battery powered devices.

So there are numerous ways to run Z-Wave JS UI. The easiest method is to install the addon from the addon store. It should be one of the last items in the list so just scroll down till you see it.

Hi,

Thank you so much for all this information. I followed this guide to migrate over to ZWave JS UI and had it up and running.

Right away, I saw so many use cases and how amazing the UI is. After a little digging around, specifically where to find the Managed Nodes section, I was able to replace my node and did not have to worry about reconfiguring all my Automations. THANK YOU!!!

1 Like