Cannot connect/configure Pioneer VSX 1022-K

I’m unable to connect/configure my Pioneer VSX 1022-K with either the Pioneer or Onkyo platforms.

WARNING (SyncWorker_11) [homeassistant.components.pioneer.media_player] Pioneer Office AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-1022K) refused connection

Is the Pioneer VSX 1022K supported?

- platform: pioneer
    host: 10.0.1.77
    name: Office AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-1022K)
    sources:
      'PHONO': '00'
      'CD': '01'
      'DVD': '04'
      'iPod/USB': '17'
      'BD': '25'
      'HOME MEDIA GALLERY(Internet Radio)': '26'
      'Netradio': '38'
      'Media Server': '44'

Anyone seeing this or similar issue?

Hey - yep - I am seeing the same thing. The Pioneer code has barely changed (other than supporting step changes for volume) so I wonder if the issue is the telnet.

btw: I have two other Pioneers that work well w/HA
For VSX-933 and VSX-S520D the work well I use the Onkyo integration

I’ve tried the Onkyo module with the VSX-1022 but it didn’t work either

Hey not sure if you tried this already but have you set the port to 8102? It seems these old receivers don’t use the default telnet port 23 as this was a problem a while back: Pioneer av not working
I think you just add the line port: 8102 to your config.

This page has the list of telnet commands if you want to do some manual testing: https://github.com/schaffman5/VSX-1022_Commands/blob/3b0b6e90d45a2f932ab406798e8276e650e6f88f/Pioneer_VSX-1022_Commands_2012.txt

Im actually considering getting one of these so please let me know if it works eventually.

Thanks

@tzyang Thanks for looking at it. I’ve added port 23 and restarted. Unfortunately it did not help with the VSX-1022-K

Pioneer Office AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-1022K) refused connection

5:23:53 PM – pioneer (WARNING) 

no add port:8102

the VSX-1022-k uses port 8102 sorry if i was unclear earlier.

Also make sure to fully unplug and reconnect the receiver so the network connect power cycles too.
should look like this, sorry if the formatting is off

• platform: pioneer
    name: Office AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-1022K)
    port: 8102
    add your sources here

tried also with port: 8102 and power cycle receiver but got the same refused connection :slightly_frowning_face:

It seems it does use that port for control but it only works with their specific app called “ ControlApp ” according to this post: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8736&start=15

Maybe just try one last time to telnet manually on windows and just try the ports in order (23, 8102, 1030, 1900 etc) with the receiver on? If that doesn’t work I’m guessing the plugin won’t work either. Oh also are you sure the ip address and subnet etc are correct?

Bummer i found such a good deal on this too. hopefully someone more knowledgeable can swoop in and make it work?

Hope this helps. It is not fully complete as I need to add some additional sources, but feel free to fork and update I had to adjust some stuff based on the 1022 tcp codes. Let me know if you have any problems.

It works well to turn on and adjust volume and change to some sources.

@tzyang Telenet works on port 8102 and volume up/down can be adjusted via VU/VD commands. Verified that ControlApp also works via iPhone.

Seems like the Pioneer platform is broken

Yes the component I submitted above uses the VU/VD commands and port 8102 also the sources were slightly different for the 1022.

I actually ended up modifying the python component so that both ports 8102 and 23 are tried - if the connection failed on the main port, then the second is immediately attempted, and that is logged. Looking in the logs, this seems to avoid failed commands a lot.

@jjhtpc I’ve created /custom_components/pioneer_avr and placed the file from the repo there. Added pioneer_avr: to the configuration.yaml. Also set

- platform: pioneer_avr 

but HA didn’t like that and complained: Component error: pioneer_avr - Integration 'pioneer_avr' not found.

You may also need an __init__.py file in the pioneer_avr folder. The file can be blank, but it needs to be there.

1 Like

Thank you @jjhtpc, its working now.
@tzyang 1022-K all hooked up with HA

3 Likes

thanks @jjhtpc, @friendodevil, @MattP for all your hard work!

1 Like

After working great for several months this custom component stopped working with HA 0.112.0. I’m getting the following error:

Log Details (ERROR)
Logger: homeassistant.setup
Source: setup.py:189
First occurred: 6:18:22 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 6:18:22 PM

Setup failed for pioneer_avr: No setup function defined.

Did you get this working? My configuration is still working on 114.4. There really shouldn’t be a reason for it to fail.