Pioneer av not working

I have the pioneer set up in my media file, the sensor shows up fine, but I can’t get it to work. I’ve been doing some research and my model is controlled under port 8102, where most are 23. I also found that the commands are slightly different per port. Where do I need to go to modify port and commands to work with my vsx-1024k. I can get it working over telnet, and everything in the configuration file are correct. Thanks

The pioneer platform is the place to start. For testing create a custom component and add your port to the start of every telnet session (like here) and replace the commands.

Once done with testing, we would appreciate if you merge your work with the existing Pioneer platform.

I’m still new to all this, is there a guide to creating custom components, or how would I do that. Thanks

Take a look at the Development docs and the samples.

were you able to resolve this issue? I have exactly the same problem.

I’m still trying to do the research on how to make custom components, and understand the code. At the moment I’m at a loss. I have most if not all the commands to work, I just can’t figure out where to put the new port number.

Ok so I figured it out. find a file pioneer.py on your server and replace two lines in there from
telnet = telnetlib.Telnet(self._host)
to
telnet = telnetlib.Telnet(self._host, 8102)

I am running Docker on Unraid so my pioneer.py was located in /unraid/appdata/home-assistant/pioneer.py not sure where yours will be but issue
find . -name pioneer.py

Hope it helps.

not working 100% though. Will play with it when I will have time from wife. Never coded in python but we will figure it out since no help from experts.

What isn’t working for ya, I’ll see if I can find my list of commands for that IP address and see if any of them are different.

I’m getting errors with the last few updates, everytime I modify the pioneer.py file to add port 8102 I’m getting

16-08-14 12:39:12 homeassistant.components.recorder: Ended unfinished session (id=260 from 2016-08-14 18:34:39.722993)
16-08-14 12:39:12 homeassistant.components.recorder: Found unfinished sessions

When I take the new port off, My pioneer doesn’t work, but my home assistant does. When I add the port my pioneer av works, but my home assistant works once then gives me that error

During this time of modifying the components and moving stuff around to make it faster lets change this part of the Pioneer AVR I’ve done as much as I can with my limited understanding and thanks to @zilasb found the way up above. Lets get port added with the host to get pioneer somewhat working for those that don’t use port 23. Thanks

1 Like

Its supported now :slight_smile:
Nevertheless I got session errors. So I can turn the AVR of but not on again due to an “unfinished” session I guess.
If I open the info menu of its entity on the main page its status is on or unknown…

Im having trouble to control the volume of my VSX-822, is the model supported?

My configuration:

media_player:
  - platform: pioneer
    host: 192.168.0.64
    name: Pioneer VSX822
    port: 8102

I have an Input Slider:

pioneer_volume:
    icon: mdi:volume-high
    name: Receiver Vol
    initial: 0.35
    min: 0
    max: 1
    step: 0.01

and an Automation:

- alias: Pioneer Volume
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: media_player.pioneer_vsx822
  action:
    service: input_slider.select_value
    data_template:
      entity_id: input_slider.pioneer_volume
      value: >
        {{ states.media_player.pioneer_vsx822.attributes.volume_level }}

I’ve now put the modified custom component on github for older VSX models:

I will try and do a pull request to add this fix to the official component.

Dear all,
I have Pioneer VSX-924 for which I have enabled the integration in this way:

- platform: pioneer
  host: ...
  port: 23

and it used to work for a while, but one day stopped working with the following error started to appear in the log:

WARNING (SyncWorker_5) [homeassistant.components.pioneer.media_player] Pioneer Pioneer AVR refused connection

I have checked if port 23 is opened of the receiver, but there are only the following ports opened

PORT      STATE SERVICE                                                                                                                     
80/tcp    open  http                                                                                                                        
443/tcp   open  https                                                                                                                       
1024/tcp  open  kdm                                                                                                                         
1900/tcp  open  upnp                                                                                                                        
8080/tcp  open  http-proxy                                                                                                                  
49152/tcp open  unknown                                                                                                                     
49153/tcp open  unknown                                                                                                                     
49154/tcp open  unknown                                                                                                                     

I haven’t updated any firmware on the receiver and/or reconfigured it (unless my browsing the settings via web interface has changed the settings). I haven’t found anything to enable remote access in receiver’s settings:

Does anybody have an idea how to enable port 23?

I’ve also checked the topics Cannot connect/configure Pioneer VSX 1022-K and HA reads status from Pioneer AV receiver but doesn’t control it but not really sure where to look further.

1 Like

Some problem here … worked great until the middle of August. Now it works for a while (hours or a day or two) then I get the same error. I pull plug and plug back in and it’ll work for a while. Rinse and Repeat.

I have a feeling that after I powered off Pioneer completely (unplug power) and powered it again it started to work. So if you meant that, it could be that it helps.