Cannot install/search the HACS integration

Something is not great, so I am starting to look at the logs now to see if anything hints at an obvious (not to me yet) mistake I made when installing Home Assistant on the Pi. I have tried to add SSH add-on to the system and even that is not working correctly because after installing the add-on.

Error: ’ Advanced SSH & Web Terminal

The add-on seems to not be ready, it might still be starting. Do you want to try again?’

The add-on does not work, perhaps the ssh add-on does not run on raspberry pi without some tweaking first? Anyway, any clues why the SSH add-on might fail to start ,or why i cannot see HACS integration in the integrations search?

/update The “Core” logs are completely empty, so looks like I need to move back to a desk and plug in a display, any guides on how to use the HA console to diagnose and access local logs?

Did you configure the addon? If you did, just wait a while for it to start.

Add-on… oh the SSH Add-on, well I’m not sure how I would do that since the Add on is failing to actually “start”. I am seeing no errors anywhere in the console.

But when I try use it I just get an error message: Advanced SSH & Web Terminal The add-on seems to not be ready, it might still be starting. Do you want to try again?

Click the configuration tab

I’m not seeing a Configuration tab/button anyplace

In the page you were on here Cannot install/search the HACS integration - #4 by Conradb

oh ok. I’m probably missing a step someplace because this is all I see:

Also you’ll see the log tab there

You are not on the same page as you were on in post 4.

thanks your patience Nick.

Those 4 buttons (info/documentation/configuration.log) you show, do not appear for me below the Advanced SSH &Web Terminal Add-On , probably because the Add-on does not start. How would I get to the logs to get some clues? The HA settings “Download Logs” just returns an empty file.

Nothing to do with whether it starts. Also look up the top of the page. (It renders differently in different browsers/resolutions). Those tabs appear in every add-on config page. Also try scrolling up and down.

oh, it’s at the top, praise the digital gods for CSS.

So it looks like some yaml I need to populate with mythical values than are not obvious to me

username: hassio
password: ""
authorized_keys: []
sftp: false
compatibility_mode: false
allow_agent_forwarding: false
allow_remote_port_forwarding: false
allow_tcp_forwarding: false

So I guess I need to somehow get things to generate ssh keys and through more magic runes that I’m going to have to find about copy them to someplace? or jsut use the username that im using to admin the HA host. is that all i have to do here?

ok i can see a log

[20:55:33] INFO: Starting the ttyd daemon...
s6-rc: info: service init-mosquitto successfully started
/run/s6/basedir/scripts/rc.init: warning: s6-rc failed to properly bring all the services up! Check your logs (in /run/uncaught-logs/current if you have in-container logging) for more information.
/run/s6/basedir/scripts/rc.init: fatal: stopping the container.
s6-rc: info: service init-mysql: stopping
s6-rc: info: service init-mosquitto: stopping
s6-rc: info: service init-docker: stopping

so i need to attach a keyboard and display i guess to grab that /run/uncaught-logs/current file.

No you simply need to enter a password.

I have no clue how the cli works, there does seem to be a way to run os commands but it’s not jumping out at me. I’m reasonably familiar with bash shall and the terminal is usually my happy place, but the structure of the HA shell is a mystery as I’ve only just installed this thing 2 weeks ago and I don’t have a mental model yet.

/edit oh, ok ill change that username back then, i don’t have such a username, so that’s confusing, what password? This step is not in the docs glaring at me is it?

OK, that probably was in the docs, but the SSH terminal now works perfectly. Thanks Nick.

/edit I have also run out of posts as a newbie user, so I’ll have to continue tomorrow evening :slight_smile: Once again Thanks Nick.
So, back my original issue, I’m unable to find the HACS integration add-on?

To install start here and follow the instructions exactly

Prerequisites | HACS.

HACS is not an addon, it is a (custom) integration.

Had to wait 18 hours to be able to post again as I’m new here. Thanks Nick, yes that is where I started, the page there states
You know how to access the Home Assistant log file.
And to be clear from the above conversation I’m still not sure how a new user is supposed to locate this log file unless they have an SSH shell into the host, but aside from that knowledge gap, I’ve been following the steps laid out and gotten to the screenshot I shared Cannot install/search the HACS integration - #8 by Conradb .

Basically a search for integrations is showing a lot of other integrations, but not HACS, which hints to me, that I need to sync something else first.

What happened when you undertook this step Download | HACS

I was following some different instructions I suspect, so I had never downloaded the add-on package. I assumed it was in the registry of the platform as an official Add-on. A lot of bootstrapping to really get going, thank you for your patience.

Next will be debugging MQTT devices, but at least I have some of the tools to make headway.